2 1/2" rubber Stripping? Rolls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/2" rubber Stripping? Rolls?

Hi , I have an Existing Arbour/Pergola to Rehab , built 15-20 yrs ago, it has a single layer glass roof, (homemade) which has 2 1/4" flat steel (3/32 thick) with 1/16th thick Rubber strips under to hold the glass and help waterproof the glass joints ( all screwed down with SS Screws) which have all failed and since they want to reuse the existing glass "system" I am hoping someone can suggest what to replace the rubber strips with , eg a roll material? as there are (12) 14' long Rafters to "reseal" (175-200' lft?). I am not going to warranty the waterproofness of this system since they wont go with new , so any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 2 1/2" rubber Stripping? Rolls?

The window guys would be your best bet. They have products in tape form that are stickier than hell and a couple of strips should seal up real well. The other thing that would work is the stainless steel sink gasket material which is basically like rubber rope.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Sorry to be negative but sounds to me like something is of a flawed design that failed and they want to repeat the mistakes of the past. If you are going to do this job, what you are looking for is called glazing tape and it is designed to seal glass in a frame. Pictures and more details would confirm this but it sounds to me like a job designed to fail as the customer wants to repeat something that does not work.
      Mark
      www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

I agree about the failure , and have advised not to reuse old system but , I'm not willing to lose the job over an argument with the customer.... but will continue to work on him and hopefully he'll "see the light" but I aint counting on it .

I am aware of Glazing tape ,having made Wooden windows etc but it won't really work in this instance being up on the roof rather than in the Window frame rebate and of course being as sticky as all H*** wont help matter trying to line stuff up.

The Original system has what looks like Roll Rubber about 1/16 thick X 2 1/2 wide that the metal strips pull down hard on to seal the glass joints but I am stumped where to find something like that today.

M.

Comment

I was going to suggest Butyl ..

If you want a rubber profile, it should be out there... You want something T shaped? Well upside down T shaped.? Try searching for Rubber Glazing

Something like the 3rd form the left in this pic?
          Last edited by scooby074; 06-21-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

This is the best stuff I have found.
            http://www.eternabond.com/DoubleStick-p/cr-ds.htm
            Jerome
            Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
            Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions

Eternabond is an interesting Product , they have a few others that might work too, (haven't seen it in BC) but when I tell Him it is $400+ just for the tape he might change his mind

Was thinking I might just have to slice up normal peel and stick and use it with its primer....

M.

Comment

Well after a few hours googling around I found 2" wide Truck Canopy Foam ($23 roll x5), which Acklands may have but not sure if its any good for this application or 3M 2" Vinyl Tape Foam used for Automotive sealing at Uline in Toronto not cheap at $180 a 100' roll either ( need 2) but maybe the better product.

Acklands
                https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI...0?Ntt=PRFPF938

or Uline

http://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S...e-2-x-36-yards

Comment

Maybe check out "HENRY" Blueskin foundation tape. It's good stuff.
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks Rusty , I know the Henry Blueskin , but not the foundation Product ...google didn't find a link ( except your post ), you happen to know the model no# etc?

The Grace vycor might work too... it has 4" rolls.... if I can find it....

Comment

Most good lumber yards and even Home Depot has the blueskin in 4 or 6 inch tape. Very similar to the Grace product. I found it easily using "Blueskin foundation tape." For some goofy reason I couldn't copy and paste a link.
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

It's pretty easy to COPY & PASTE from any website -- http://www.cansave.ca/products/build...proofing/WP200 .

Comment

Yep It Is! Thanks.

Now maybe you could do the Henry's one with the tape. The OP knows all about the blueskin foundation membrane. He mentioned that above.

The Henry's site comes up on the same page as what you just pasted but it wouldn't copy for me but you can probably do it because..........................
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Hi thanks guys , I was searching Henry Foundation Tape..... and didn't find it...

I have used the WP200 a number of times (36"high ), just hadn't seen it in 4" rolls , but after talking to my suppliers , they have it for $ 75.00 Roll (75ft), be way cheaper to buy the large roll and slit it up I think....

still looking at the option of Truck Cap (canopy) Tape , which Acklands Grainger has in 2" wide too. though Cost would be about the same for 200ft as its $25 roll but only 30lft so I'd need 7 rolls.

Mick.
                            Last edited by Kbird123; 06-25-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Mick, I have a couple of rolls in one of my shop drawers. Home Depot wanted $16.00 a roll and I bought it for under $12.00 at Nelson Lumber here in Edmonton. It is 4 inches wide but not too sure of the length of a roll.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X