Uploading images

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading images

Can you eliminate the option to upload images that when you click on them it takes you to a new address? I do not see why this is useful or even an option yet it is a major pain in the butt. You click on the picture and go to a fetch address then have to back out and go back in etc. I really hate that and avoid posts or at least looking at the pictures in those posts. The problem is you don't know it is that option until you click on the picture.
    Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Uploading images

i agree, and also why do we have to click on an image at all to see it at other than thumbnail size, then click back, then click another etc etc

i always make sure my images appear fullsize right in my actual post, i'll embed them if the text relates
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Any consideration for this? Surprised there has been no response at all.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. Our JuneJuly issue was signed off on the other day, and I have not been on the forum much at all.

Jamie - how are you uploading photos to the post? There are two ways to do it; via the camera icon and via the "Attachments" link. The turning below was uploaded via the camera icon, while the chairs were uploaded via the "Attachments" link. When you click on the turning it takes you to a new address, but a click on the 'back' button brings you back. Is this what you don't like?

Clicking on the chairs (which were uploaded via the 'attachment' link) brings up a box that shows the image. Still, a click on the "X" is needed to return to the main post. Both cases is just one click though.

For all I know, different browsers are going to be different. I'm using Chrome.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rob Brown; 04-21-2017, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Rob,

There's one more step that you didn't mention. When you click on the beach chairs it takes you to a slide show. When you click on any photo in the slide show it takes you to the same sort of window as the turned image, but then when you click the back button it doesn't take you back to the slide show. It takes you back to the thread.

There's just too many choices for uploading. We should pick ONE and stick with it .... and we should pick the one that's easiest for the people who aren't computer geniuses ... people like me! Personally I like having all photos embedded in the post, and if we can't do that then I'd prefer the slide show.

Comment

Thanks Rob. I upload using the attachments which I think is the preferred way for everyone. I go a step further and make them medium size which means you can see them without clicking on them. My issue is that the camera icon takes you to a new address in the same tab (using Chrome) which is not common on very many forums I frequent and from comments from others it is not common for them either. Since it is not common I am reading along and do not realize the picture has opened in the same tab and think it has opened in a new window and hit the x to close the tab and the forum is gone. I then have to come back in and find the thread and start over. When it opens in a new window like the attachment function the forum is still in the background and you don't lose it when you close out of the picture.

I know what I am describing is operator error on my part because I don't always pay attention to how and where the picture opened in order to know what to do to back out of it but when there are different options in the same forum it does make it confusing. Maybe a minor nuisance in the big scheme of things but seems like others have the same frustration when I see some of the comments in other threads. It would make life in the forum easier if the camera icon was not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
              When you click on the turning it takes you to a new address, but a click on the 'back' button brings you back. Is this what you don't like?

Clicking on the chairs (which were uploaded via the 'attachment' link) brings up a box that shows the image. Still, a click on the "X" is needed to return to the main post. Both cases is just one click though.
              The big difference is when you have more than one image. In the first case, to view the next image, you need to click "back", click on the image thumbnail, etc.

In the second case, switching between multiple images is much simpler.

Comment

imho, we should eliminate the camera icon
                with the "attachments" method you either get the slideshow or its very easy to embed pics in different sizes right in the text

if you're writing a long post with various pics, you can easily upload and place a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7220009.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1114606

then just keep on wriing, add another pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00799.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1114607
                its simple, just type, upload and embed, then go back to writing, upload and embed, type some more etc etc
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

I agree with Steve 100%. I do not see why we even need the thumb nail option, just have the photos full size open in the post. I believe things only got complicated to accommodate people who use smart phones to view the forum?
                  Rob
                  Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                    I agree with Steve 100%. I do not see why we even need the thumb nail option, just have the photos full size open in the post. I believe things only got complicated to accommodate people who use smart phones to view the forum?
                    Rob
                    I must confess I don't understand the issue. I've been away from the forum for quite a long time and just returned awhile ago. It's an improvement in almost every possible way. Including the option to attach images in a slideshow or embed them, author's choice.

I had not encountered the thumbnails into a slide show usage until this morning when I ran through the thread about posting pictures of spring. There is a liberal mixture of both embedding and attaching in the thread. When I was done I had to come back here and see if I can understand what the problem is with attaching?

As the reader I simply clicked on a thumbnail and the slideshow popped up. I then clicked on the arrows to move forward and back through the slideshow ... exactly as I expected. When I was done I clicked on the X in the upper right corner and was returned to the post ... exactly as I expected.

It worked exactly as I expected it to, and would want it to. What am I missing??

...ken...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post

I must confess I don't understand the issue. I've been away from the forum for quite a long time and just returned awhile ago. It's an improvement in almost every possible way. Including the option to attach images in a slideshow or embed them, author's choice.

I had not encountered the thumbnails into a slide show usage until this morning when I ran through the thread about posting pictures of spring. There is a liberal mixture of both embedding and attaching in the thread. When I was done I had to come back here and see if I can understand what the problem is with attaching?

As the reader I simply clicked on a thumbnail and the slideshow popped up. I then clicked on the arrows to move forward and back through the slideshow ... exactly as I expected. When I was done I clicked on the X in the upper right corner and was returned to the post ... exactly as I expected.

It worked exactly as I expected it to, and would want it to. What am I missing??

...ken...
                      The slide show part is not really a problem worth complaining about, I just prefer to see the pics without any clicking required. The real issue is when you click on a thumbnail and it opens a new page, you then have to go back to the forum page and click on the next thumbnail. In my case where I have the forum page zoomed to 175% so I can read it easier, the resulting new page when I click on an image is about 1/4 of the image. If I zoom out on it to see the whole pic, when I click back to the forum I have to zoom back up to fill the page. Such a lot of bother compared to simply scrolling through the post and seeing all the pics.
                      Rob
                      Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post

...ken...
                        In slideshow mode if you click on a picture it will sometimes take you to a full screen format. Closing the full screen should take you back to the slide show. It doesn't. It takes you back to the post and you have to start a slideshow again to keep going.

Comment

One other thing I have noticed with using the camera is that when you click back it takes you to the top if the page you were on. So if the post you are reading with the pictures is near the bottom of the page you have to scroll down each time to the post you were on n order to continue reading or open another picture. As an example this image was uploaded using the camera function. If you click on it to see it you will go to the new page in the same tab. Then click back to come back to this post and you will be at the top of the page and have to scroll all the way to the bottom to continue.

sorry the picture below was done with the attachment so doesn't open in a new window. I can't figure out how to upload with the camera. If you click on Rob's turning above you will see how it takes you back to the top of the page.
                          Last edited by jaywood1207; 04-23-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                            Rob
                            You may be right. After all, that is about 50% of the users, so I sure wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Comment

here's what an uploaded pic looks like using the camera option

note the picture cannot be embedded in the text and when you click on the thumbnail the picture appears full screen

you have to click "back" to return to the forum and click on another pic to see it, then "back" etc etc, although there is the "slideshow' option too

either way is still far better than the old system!!

i do prefer to use the "attachments" option and embed pics in a chosen size and have them appear in the text, its the simplest for the reader by far. the other ways are like printing a magazine with all the pictures arriving a day later in separate envelope!
                              Last edited by stevem; 04-24-2017, 06:33 AM.
                              steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Working...
                              X