Allow very short video uploads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow very short video uploads?

my last post got 10 responses, 9 of which had nothing to do with the problem stated (reader comprehension much?)

if i'd been able to post a short 5-second video from my iPhone (of which there are about 600 million in existence) i'm sure i could have gotten a straight answer, but this site doesn't allow uploads of .mov (Apple) or .mp4 (Android) file extensions

as the 5-second video only sizes out at 490kb, which is probably smaller than most of your photos, could the Rules By The Administrators be relaxed to in the future to allow them?

i get that you'd want to keep the site server usage lower, but keeping the files with the topics contained in the post might be helpful, as the recent Photobucket third-party havoc that killed a bunch of internet tutorials across the web has shown

short of teaching old guys to read, that is...

; )
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Allow very short video uploads?

You lost me on “Reader comprehension much”

LoL Click image for larger version

Name:	30562839-C624-44D9-A68D-E10FD780842C.png
Views:	1
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1146822
    the_other_ken and iamtooler like this.

Comment

I haven't the slightest clue whether this is the sort of thing that could even be done, or not. Will ask around a bit and see.

Comment

Originally posted by davezedlee View Post
        my last post got 10 responses, 9 of which had nothing to do with the problem stated (reader comprehension much?)

if i'd been able to post a short 5-second video from my iPhone (of which there are about 600 million in existence) i'm sure i could have gotten a straight answer, but this site doesn't allow uploads of .mov (Apple) or .mp4 (Android) file extensions

as the 5-second video only sizes out at 490kb, which is probably smaller than most of your photos, could the Rules By The Administrators be relaxed to in the future to allow them?

i get that you'd want to keep the site server usage lower, but keeping the files with the topics contained in the post might be helpful, as the recent Photobucket third-party havoc that killed a bunch of internet tutorials across the web has shown

short of teaching old guys to read, that is...

; )
        Let me guess, you're still cranky that LA lost.

Comment

I was one of those 9 to 10 people who answered and I will repeat the same answer - get a YouTube account. You thought it would take too much of your time so instead you want other people to spend their time to solve your problem. Yes, it will take about 2 to 5 minutes to open a youtube account but then you will be done and it may come in handy in the future.

Seeing all your posts related to the inability to post your short flick, I'm pretty sure that by now you could have opened 5 youtube accounts in the time it took you so far to be where you were a few days ago i.e. no flick to show.
          Last edited by darius; 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM.
          dwight80 likes this.
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
            I haven't the slightest clue whether this is the sort of thing that could even be done, or not. Will ask around a bit and see.
            It can be done.
            Do you have the technical resources? Speed? Bandwidth? Storage space?
            In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

No idea, Darius, but I have passed this topic onto someone who knows these sorts of things.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post

It can be done.
                Do you have the technical resources? Speed? Bandwidth? Storage space?
                It is possible for me to add mov and mpeg to the list of uploadable filetypes, the problem as I see it is that there is no viewer built into vbulletin so you cannot play it inline. There are bbcodes for video's and those assume a link to some video service like youtube.

If you really only have a 5 second video the easiest thing would be convert it into an animated gif and upload it.

Steve The Drill Sergeant
                Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

in built viewer wouldn't necessarily be needed, as anyone who wished to download the clip could do so

this would be the video equivalent of "anyone know what wood this is?".... usually the response is "got a picture?

using a third-party site is the best solution for long, detailed tutorials or shop/gear tours, but once the third party shuts down or $tart$ charging, everything gets lost or messed up

really, the size of the video allowed is really just a function of your server capacity, but the "convert to gif" idea is a good option, and would have worked in this case

as for now, i'm off to get a Sobeys gift card because Tim Horton's doesn't accept cash

; )

Comment

the 5 second .mov file was 474kb; the converted gif came out to 4376kb

do-able but maybe a little wasteful, space-wise

direct uploading would also save the time needed for conversion

Comment

You should now be able to upload mp4 and mov files to the forum. They won't display inline but the visitors can download them and view in their own viewer.

Please be aware that different types of device will play different types of formats. Cross-platform compatibility for videos on the web is still an unsolved problem. That's why youtube became so huge.

In other words - not everyone will be able to view the videos you upload this way.
                      Andrew Smith

Comment

Great, thanks.... should come in handy

Comment

Working...
                        X