How long to edit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to edit?

How long can an author go back and edit his/her own entry before the 'Edit' button disappears?
    Start slow; wind down gracefuilly
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How long to edit?

I think it's twelve hours.

The next question is always "why so little time?" The answer is "because we have had a couple of occasions where a member got into a snit and deleted a bunch of their post content (members can't delete posts) and doing that often puts an entire thread into jeopardy by disrupting the continuity of the thread. The result then is that a moderator (or two) has to take the time to back and restore the content.

So ..... if a member wants to edit a thread they can reply to their own post and quote the post they are correcting, .... or they can ask a moderator to edit it for them and we will if it is necessary.

cheers

Comment

I think it is about one minute before the ''edited by'' appears in the post. Not your question I know but I would prefer 5 minutes so as to have time to read my post and react to errors.
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
        I think it's twelve hours.

The next question is always "why so little time?" The answer is "because we have had a couple of occasions where a member got into a snit and deleted a bunch of their post content (members can't delete posts) and doing that often puts an entire thread into jeopardy by disrupting the continuity of the thread. The result then is that a moderator (or two) has to take the time to back and restore the content.

So ..... if a member wants to edit a thread they can reply to their own post and quote the post they are correcting, .... or they can ask a moderator to edit it for them and we will if it is necessary.

cheers
        That's informative. Used to be able to delete, but OK. Need ability to make brief but substantiative error corrections. Thanks for taking the time so promptly.
        Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

The last edited by text will be displayed if it was 2 minutes after posting. I think that's ok.
          Steve The Drill Sergeant
          Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

I guess i should make shorter posts or learn to read faster. Thanks.
            Rob
            schor likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Doublecheck before hitting post Rob. :-) I do it all the time even after reading my post 5 times.
              Steve The Drill Sergeant
              Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

It would be good if the author had the ability to edit the text by using strikethrough to remove unwanted words rather than just delete. That way you could correct an incorrect word or sentence and replace and others wouldn't be left wondering what the change was and there would be less need for the "reason for edit". Maybe only allow strikethrough and not delete after 12 hours? That way if you made a statement that you have been convinced is wrong by others in the thread you could acknowledge that you've changed your mind by striking it out.

Comment

Working...
                X