Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap Fence for Router Table?

Hi,

In the Letters section of the latest issue, Al R. writes about “a sliding trap fence to keep pieces from blowing out at first contact”. Can anyone describe what this trap fence might look like or how it might operate? I can’t think of a scenario where blowout happens at first contact on a router table besides the ill-advised climb cut.
    Chris Wong
    http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Trap Fence for Router Table?

I will contact the reader who wrote that letter, Chris. Maybe they can shed some light on your question.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I sent him a message, and this was the reply I got:

Hi Rob
      Here’s a photo of the fence assembly on a sled. The slotted sled allows the 1x2 board to be moved up against the work piece and held into place with the carriage bolt and wing nut. I hope I explained it clearly. I’ve heard of the concept of a trap fence from a separate you tube video so the idea is not mine only the incorporation into a slide fence.
      I always like keeping my fingers away from the cutting area so the trap fence provides an extra measure of safety in that regard.
      Sincerely
      Al

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thanks fit the additional info and picture. I guess by keeping the trailing end against there is some additional safety.
        Chris Wong
        http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

It is also referred to as an outboard fence and safely used with a power feeder. The power feeder keeps the wood against the outboard fence and the cutter is on the side away from outboard fence. Works great if making profile that remove material that does not rest against exit side on a regular fence. Not doing a good job of explaining but google outboard fence or u tube. Some are not a fan of this but it is like back cutting. If you follow a few basic steps back cutting is best way to go to avoid tear out.

Brian
          Rob Brown likes this.
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
          X