Top 10 Underrated Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 10 Underrated Tools

I’ve never heard of a disposable mechanical pencil! Can you load lead through the tip?

I use wooden pencils in my shop mostly - half of the time it’s round, the other half of the time it’s a blunt-ish carpenter’s pencil.
    Chris Wong
    http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
      I’ve never heard of a disposable mechanical pencil! Can you load lead through the tip?
      No it is a twist to advance and the lead is held at the back much like a pen refill. The hack on YouTube shows how to get the pen apart and install a new lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYldbtlcVDk
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Good to know about reloading them, I bought the pack a couple of years ago and haven't run out of lead yet I have them spread throughout the shop. I like them because I found with a regular pencil they were never sharp when I needed it to be so I would have to stop what I was doing and sharpen them. As to 0.7 or 0.5 mm I was taught as a jeweller that you work from the side of the line, not the line itself.
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
          I was taught as a jeweller that you work from the side of the line, not the line itself.
          How do you remember which side of the line?
          Chris Wong
          http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post

How do you remember which side of the line?
            LOL, I wondered the same thing! I use knives and awls for marking wood (cutting gauges and such are knives for these purposes) when it really matters and scribers (and such like) with or without Marking Blue for marking metal. Big, fat Eversharp type lead pencils are not my jam which is why I am so fond of my old Boston pencil sharpener and Lee Valley pencils for shop use. I am not at all keen on disposable anything and avoid such things like the plague.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KenL View Post

........................avoid such things like the plague.

Ken
              At the risk of a hijack and a bad joke, I think we are all getting a crash course on how to avoid the plague. Strange times we live in.

KenL likes this.
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1275098 You make a mark on the bad side like this
                flairwoodworks likes this.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Pencils. Any pencil. You never give them their due until you cannot find one when you need it, or it needs sharpening, or, if mechanical, has no lead.

Comment

Empty peanut butter containers. I know my FIL used glass coffee bottles, but I don’t care for the glass as for the breakage factor. The containers hold nails/screws/ parts for specific projects. They can also be used to soak parts in. The lids can be inverted to hold small parts or as mixing trays. Currently have about 30 of them in the shop

Comment

a good apron with pockets for all the tools one needs to get one's hand on while holding something(s) in place with the other.
                      a crappy knife
                      a good knife
                      a really good knife
                      an extra knife
                      flairwoodworks and KenL like this.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithF View Post
                        Empty peanut butter containers. <snip> Currently have about 30 of them in the shop
                        I have more than 100, screwed the lids to the underside of the mezzanine.

Comment

Working...
                        X