Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stickman
    replied
    It's good to have a few pencils in your shirt pocket. That way, if you work fast that they get hot you can just switch them out while the first one cools.

Leave a comment:

• DimiTar
    replied
    Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
    My top ten list would look very different from Rob’s. Here goes, in no particular order:
    1. Drill gauge
    2. Good quality abrasives
    3. Pencil sharpener
    4. Handscrew clamps
    5. Strop
    6. Saddle square
    7. Glue spreader
    8. Scrub plane
    9. Skew bench chisels
    10. Screwdriver bit extender
    What do you think? What would make your list?
    Decent list. Do you keep it somewhere? To my mind, the must-have tool here is a woodworking apron with 10-12 sockets(example). Does anyone use that?
    Last edited by DimiTar; 10-03-2021, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_Hansen61
    replied
    Originally posted by Egon View Post

The joys of aging. Lots and lots of concentrated light.
    Yup. And a big magnifying glass. I have one of those old magnified jeweler's lamps that seems to be getting a lot more use these days. And over the bench an old medical exam light on an articulated arm that I can swing out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    I tend to agree with you, Jerome.

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied
    2b or not 2b that really is the question I prefer 2h I find they stay sharper longer.

Leave a comment:

• ThePracticalPeasant
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
    My preference is for a mechanical pencil, but I could definitely see those Artist's Loft pencils working well, especially if sharpened with care.
    They're awesome pencils and in a package, they come to about $1 each; entirely reasonable in my opinion. I buy them in 2B which I find to be a nice balance between longevity and darkness without scratching the wood too badly.
    My little 4x36" belt sander is in a convenient place on my work bench, it takes but 10 seconds to flip it on and reshape my pencil flat on one side, cone on the other:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9464.png Views:	0 Size:	446.1 KB ID:	1325037
    Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 04-04-2021, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Q View Post
    This was a very good read so far. For myself a few of the same for sure and a couple others:

- Apron
    - Apron contains 6" rule, 3 pencils, 6" adjustable square
    - Hearing protection I use toughsounds bluetooth so I can listen to podcasts when working at the machines
    I would be lost without my apron and its contents. Contents: mechanical pencil, 6" rule, 10' tape measure, chalk, sometimes a light coloured pencil crayon for working with dark woods, a small and a large cheap knife. I find a square is a bit too cumbersome and heavy. I do have a few stashed around the shop though.

I have a set of Bluetooth headphones for podcasts too. They're great.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    My preference is for a mechanical pencil, but I could definitely see those Artist's Loft pencils working well, especially if sharpened with care.

Leave a comment:

• ThePracticalPeasant
    replied
    Not so underrated, but there was mention of pencils and sharpeners, I'd like to weigh in. I only use these now. The graphite is thicker than a lot of cheap pencils, come in a plastic case (and as a result are rarely pre-broken for your inconvenience), and will take an extremely fine point. Also, I sharpen them on a belt sander, often flattening one side to draw very precise lines against a straight-edge

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9461.png
Views:	195
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	1325021

Leave a comment:

• ThePracticalPeasant
    replied
    In no particular order:

Stair gauges: A must have accessory for your full sized square. They get used for more than just stairs, if you remember you have them.
    Automatic centre-punch: Leaves a nice clean mark on any surface and is easily operated with one hand.
    Machinist's try-square: They come in all sizes, weighty enough to stand on their own, machined on all faces, can be clamped against, etc...

Honourable mention:
    Stainless steel rulers, protractor, dividers, triangles, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Q
    replied
    This was a very good read so far. For myself a few of the same for sure and a couple others:

- Apron
    - Apron contains 6" rule, 3 pencils, 6" adjustable square
    - Hearing protection I use toughsounds bluetooth so I can listen to podcasts when working at the machines

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied
    Originally posted by drzaius View Post

I can think of one; the biscuit joiner. They don't get much love these days, particularly among the green koolaide drinkers that use the Domino. I won't dispute that the Domino is a great machine, but many of those folks don't realize that they are not intended to serve the same purpose. There are things that biscuits can do that the Domino can't. For joining sheet goods, particularly if they are much thinner than 3/4", is something that biscuits excel at.
    Very true but I still don
    t think its under rated as much as under valued.

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
    I don't think there are under rated tools.
    I can think of one; the biscuit joiner. They don't get much love these days, particularly among the green koolaide drinkers that use the Domino. I won't dispute that the Domino is a great machine, but many of those folks don't realize that they are not intended to serve the same purpose. There are things that biscuits can do that the Domino can't. For joining sheet goods, particularly if they are much thinner than 3/4", is something that biscuits excel at.

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied
    I don't think there are under rated tools. There are underused. Or seldom used. I value all the tools I have. There are tools that sit there for a year until you need them and then you cannot do that one job until you find it and then it does that one job perfectly. Trying to think of one of those. Ah I bought a tool that will remove nails from lumber. I was doing it by hand which was ok but for production this pneumatic tool did it so much faster it was amazing. I only use it once a year but it paid for its self that first year. The other end of the spectrum I use my Bosch 2 step 6" sander almost every day. Do I rate the other one less? No i just use it less.

Leave a comment:

• Gary in Waterdown
    replied
    Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post

Funny. I have my headlamps from my commuting to work / riding in the winter days and I dug around to find the head strap.

I find myself wearing that thing, with the battery cord snaking down my back, a lot lately, especially at the lathe - and every night when dinner is on the grill.

My family laugh at me.

The joys of being a dad.
    Maybe they wouldn't laugh so much if they had to make their own dinner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X