Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flairwoodworks
    replied
    What’s that saying… a place for everything and everything in it’s place?

I keep a pencil, tape measure, and short (4 or 6”) steel rule at the bench, table saw and bandsaw in specific places. On the bench, it’s a block of wood with holes drilled in the top and a magnet screwed to the end that houses these items. Magnets do the work at the bandsaw (I bought some magnetic weatherstripping for use with a steel exterior door and found 1” offcuts perfect for holding wooden pencils), and the tape clips onto the table saw whole pencil and rule slide into the end of a T-slot. Everything always goes back.

Weatherstripping cost about $40 for 200”: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/m-d...ite/1001122110

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    So, on the topic of lost pencils, I found that one of these on my band saw, drill press, lathe- tailstock AND headstock solved 99% of my lost pencils in the shop.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
    4 pencils - because I will have misplaced 3 at any given moment
    Lee Valley Cabinetmakers tape - I have three of them and I estimate at least a 25% probability that one will be in my apron pocket when I reach in there to retrieve it.
    Randy,

I found when I have 3 or 4 of an often used item I would never take care of any of them because there was always another one around somewhere. When I got rid of all but 1 item I started to take care of that item and put it right back where it lived. That was me with pencils. Now.....one pencil.....put it back in my apron the moment I'm done writing.....and it's always there!

That was my approach anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Randy in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post

I would be lost without my apron and its contents. Contents: mechanical pencil, 6" rule, 10' tape measure, chalk, sometimes a light coloured pencil crayon for working with dark woods, a small and a large cheap knife. I find a square is a bit too cumbersome and heavy. I do have a few stashed around the shop though.
    Me too. My contents:
    4" try square - usually found lying at the last place I used it
    4 pencils - because I will have misplaced 3 at any given moment
    Lee Valley Cabinetmakers tape - I have three of them and I estimate at least a 25% probability that one will be in my apron pocket when I reach in there to retrieve it.
    6" Veritas Precision Square - I actually epoxied a small magnet to the upper pocket I try to keep it in so it doesn't fall out when I lean over. Now my apron sticks to anything metal if I get too close. Need a better system.
    The apron does keep me warm and clean though. And the gobs of glue all over it makes me look tough.

Leave a comment:

• jim.gilchrist
    replied
    Underrated, but has certainly come to be very valued in my shop ….

https://doneganoptical.com/product/optivisor/

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Jacobs
    replied
    I like this thread. Shame to see it stop. I know some people don't like these and I do have better counter sink bits but these are just too easy and quick. If I'm working on something more fancy in a nice hardwood I break out the better ones.

Leave a comment:

• stickman
    replied
    It's good to have a few pencils in your shirt pocket. That way, if you work fast that they get hot you can just switch them out while the first one cools.

Leave a comment:

• DimiTar
    replied
    Originally posted by flairwoodworks View Post
    My top ten list would look very different from Rob’s. Here goes, in no particular order:
    1. Drill gauge
    2. Good quality abrasives
    3. Pencil sharpener
    4. Handscrew clamps
    5. Strop
    6. Saddle square
    7. Glue spreader
    8. Scrub plane
    9. Skew bench chisels
    10. Screwdriver bit extender
    What do you think? What would make your list?
    Decent list. Do you keep it somewhere? To my mind, the must-have tool here is a woodworking apron with 10-12 sockets(example). Does anyone use that?
    Last edited by DimiTar; 10-03-2021, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_Hansen61
    replied
    Originally posted by Egon View Post

The joys of aging. Lots and lots of concentrated light.
    Yup. And a big magnifying glass. I have one of those old magnified jeweler's lamps that seems to be getting a lot more use these days. And over the bench an old medical exam light on an articulated arm that I can swing out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    I tend to agree with you, Jerome.

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied
    2b or not 2b that really is the question I prefer 2h I find they stay sharper longer.

Leave a comment:

• ThePracticalPeasant
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
    My preference is for a mechanical pencil, but I could definitely see those Artist's Loft pencils working well, especially if sharpened with care.
    They're awesome pencils and in a package, they come to about $1 each; entirely reasonable in my opinion. I buy them in 2B which I find to be a nice balance between longevity and darkness without scratching the wood too badly.
    My little 4x36" belt sander is in a convenient place on my work bench, it takes but 10 seconds to flip it on and reshape my pencil flat on one side, cone on the other:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9464.png Views:	0 Size:	446.1 KB ID:	1325037
    Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 04-04-2021, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Q View Post
    This was a very good read so far. For myself a few of the same for sure and a couple others:

- Apron
    - Apron contains 6" rule, 3 pencils, 6" adjustable square
    - Hearing protection I use toughsounds bluetooth so I can listen to podcasts when working at the machines
    I would be lost without my apron and its contents. Contents: mechanical pencil, 6" rule, 10' tape measure, chalk, sometimes a light coloured pencil crayon for working with dark woods, a small and a large cheap knife. I find a square is a bit too cumbersome and heavy. I do have a few stashed around the shop though.

I have a set of Bluetooth headphones for podcasts too. They're great.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Brown
    replied
    My preference is for a mechanical pencil, but I could definitely see those Artist's Loft pencils working well, especially if sharpened with care.

Leave a comment:

• ThePracticalPeasant
    replied
    Not so underrated, but there was mention of pencils and sharpeners, I'd like to weigh in. I only use these now. The graphite is thicker than a lot of cheap pencils, come in a plastic case (and as a result are rarely pre-broken for your inconvenience), and will take an extremely fine point. Also, I sharpen them on a belt sander, often flattening one side to draw very precise lines against a straight-edge

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9461.png
Views:	286
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	1325021

Leave a comment:

Working...
X