Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a wedge being created in our society?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there a wedge being created in our society?

    Are the leaders of these terrorist groups indirectly telling the west that the muslims should not or could not live with non muslims in the western society? I am sick to my stomach to see a single so called human being with a knife and car could cause so much horror , his main goal has to be to make the west to think there's no way we can live alongside muslims and I bet every muslim would hate these terrorist attacks even more now than ever ,maybe because there seems to be more visible exclusion of the whole group from the rest, if that ever happens, the terrorists and their leader will win.

    I usually don't join these type of conversations or threads here but it is obvious to me that the goal of these groups needs to be uncovered , a terrorist act can not be just to create some havoc or to get our attention temporarily ,there has to be an underlying strategy by these groups to create a wedge between people and keep widening the gap with every attack, the moment we feel what happened today in England could happen here, to you and me and our loved ones, aren't we going to be more suspicious of others in general and the visible minorities in particular?
    I ask myself, who do they(terrorists and their leaders) think they are telling muslims where they should live or in what type of society , there is wedge being created by these groups and I hate to see it widening day by day.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Kayhan; 03-23-2017, 03:57 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

    I have lived in the middle east for 5 years, in the birthplace of Islam. I came to know the various groups and sects within it. I can say without prejudice that the Wahabi sect of Islam is incompatible with Western culture. Given the verbatim interpretation of the Koran that they prescribe, there is no common ground on freedom of religion, separation of church and state, women's rights, etc etc. This is not a racist or prejudicial statement. It is a matter of fact.

    We should be apart from these folks.

    Bear in mind, I don't mean all Muslims. I am talking about the fundamentalist, sharia law crowd, which by some estimates are 10% of the muslim population worldwide (100 million or so).

    I predict this thread gets terminated due to the social taboo around discussing this issue honestly.



    scooby074, Egon and 2 others like this.
    Cheers
    Randy

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

      I have yet to hear any description of the attacker other than "Perpetrator". Are you finding published evidence that I have not?
      More stuff of mine at:
      http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

      My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

        There are always extremists, always have been. always will be.

        Although we've done a great job of singling out Muslims, we have to recognize that most of the terrorism in western society is good old home grown local boys.

        Look at the shootings in the US, the Oklahoma City bombing, the bombings and killings related to abortion providers/doctors, the race related killings during the civil rights era, the shootings at Sandy Hook, Columbine etc.

        In Canada we had Marc Lepine plus many others. Ireland had the IRA, Germany had the groups such as Baader-Meinhoff etc.

        As Randy pointed out, there are a small subset of Muslims who are incompatible with other civilizations, however those aren't the vast majority of Muslims we know as our neighbours and friends.

        People like Timothy McVeigh also exist in our society, fortunately in an equally small ratio.

        Yes terrorism is a concern, and it's horrific when anyone is killed in this manner, over an opinion, which is all our beliefs are.

        The last terrorist attack in Canada that I remember is the killing of innocent Muslims at their mosque, by a home grown terrorist. We need to be just as vigilant against all people who are incompatible with our society, such as the guy in Quebec City or any other extremist whether they're atheist, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Druid etc ....Rod.
        Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-22-2017, 05:38 PM.
        Yeti, scooby074 and 10 others like this.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

          Well said Rod and I hope I was clear. I have many Muslim friends and they do not fall into the category I described. They are just folks like the rest of us and keep their private beliefs private. Extremists are the problem. Intolerance is the problem on both sides of the issue, though I think the West should be intolerant of certain demands and behaviours than violate our fundamental freedoms.
          Cheers
          Randy

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

            Understand western thinking has gone through the bloodshed of Reformation,30Years war, and Counter Reformation. There is a reason why we separate church and state.




            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

              Originally posted by Jim DaddyO View Post
              I have yet to hear any description of the attacker other than "Perpetrator". Are you finding published evidence that I have not?
              My point is, the "perp" does not speak for me can not ram his views down my throat, can not decide what society I should or shouldn't live in, and Ican not allow him or anyone with extremist views from any religion to create a wedge between me and others and for the record, I was born in a liberal muslim home to muslim parents but was raised to grow and choose what god I decide to believe in ,never spent enough time in that old country (Iran, until I was 20) to see the revolution so my character was literally shaped here, got married to a an angel from England ,we raised our son to also choose which god he wants to believe in,on his own without being influenced by extremist views .

              My point was about extremism and intolerance within small group whose actions can potentially get magnified as if they talk for all within that religion , I know for a fact that the great majority of muslims do not condone these type of actions regardless of the religion of the perpetrators.

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                Originally posted by Kayhan View Post

                My point is, the "perp" does not speak for me can not ram his views down my throat, can not decide what society I should or shouldn't live in, and Ican not allow him or anyone with extremist views from any religion to create a wedge between me and others and for the record, I was born in a liberal muslim home to muslim parents but was raised to grow and choose what god I decide to believe in ,never spent enough time in that old country (Iran, until I was 20) to see the revolution so my character was literally shaped here, got married to a an angel from England ,we raised our son to also choose which god he wants to believe in,on his own without being influenced by extremist views .

                My point was about extremism and intolerance within small group whose actions can potentially get magnified as if they talk for all within that religion , I know for a fact that the great majority of muslims do not condone these type of actions regardless of the religion of the perpetrators.
                That too, is my point. There is no information on the attacker, other than it was a male. There has been no published evidence of him belonging to any segment of the population, so why assume what or who he is, what his intentions were, or what particular segment of the population he identifies with. All we know is that he is "some guy". He could just be someone upset with any number of things and just flipped his lid. There is no sense in pointing fingers and assuming he is of any particular group until that evidence has come to light. Even if he is part of a certain race, religion, nationality, etc., that may have nothing to do with his actions. so why paint the whole segment of that population with the same brush.
                More stuff of mine at:
                http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

                My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                  Evil knows no color, nor creed.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                    Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                    I have lived in the middle east for 5 years, in the birthplace of Islam. I came to know the various groups and sects within it. I can say without prejudice that the Wahabi sect of Islam is incompatible with Western culture. Given the verbatim interpretation of the Koran that they prescribe, there is no common ground on freedom of religion, separation of church and state, women's rights, etc etc. This is not a racist or prejudicial statement. It is a matter of fact.

                    We should be apart from these folks.

                    Bear in mind, I don't mean all Muslims. I am talking about the fundamentalist, sharia law crowd, which by some estimates are 10% of the muslim population worldwide (100 million or so).

                    I predict this thread gets terminated due to the social taboo around discussing this issue honestly.


                    I am woefully ignorant as to all the sects and divisions within the middle east Muslims. I find it hard to envision Taliban men wandering around Europe. I can more or less sympathize with them wanting to hold onto their own little world however, as unfair as that is to their women and children.
                    I do not think I ever heard an explanation as to what Bin Laden wanted to accomplish? He was wealthy and educated, was he a fundamentalist also or did he have personal motives?
                    Rob

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                      The Canadian experience has been more of a mental health issue.

                      In the Balkans we have seen nationalism used by dictators to gain power. In the middle east, it's religion.

                      We are lucky in Canada.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                        I for one do not want to see a " wedge" dividing my community ,be it my home,my town ,my country or this group. My views may seem simplistic,and I know political and religious discussions can quickly go sideways,this is thread potentially may be both.
                        i personally look back at the history of our country and believe the majority here aririved fleeing some sort of hardship,oppression etc.i also know many new arrivals have faced ignorance,racism and misunderstanding. I know that history repeats itself.
                        i also believe,no matter of race,creed or religion,the needy should be accepted and helped.
                        equally,pure evil,is pure evil,and,no matter of race ,creed or religion,is un acceptable.
                        the trick is to understand a recognize the difference,for evil cowards have historically hidden behind the face of religion.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                          Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

                          I am woefully ignorant as to all the sects and divisions within the middle east Muslims. I find it hard to envision Taliban men wandering around Europe. I can more or less sympathize with them wanting to hold onto their own little world however, as unfair as that is to their women and children.
                          I do not think I ever heard an explanation as to what Bin Laden wanted to accomplish? He was wealthy and educated, was he a fundamentalist also or did he have personal motives?
                          Rob
                          Bin Laden's main mantra was removing all infidels from Muslim lands. He was incensed when the Saudi king allowed thousands of US troops into the Kingdom during the Gulf War. And to add salt to the wound, many of those troops were women.
                          Cheers
                          Randy

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                            Originally posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
                            The Canadian experience has been more of a mental health issue.

                            In the Balkans we have seen nationalism used by dictators to gain power. In the middle east, it's religion.

                            We are lucky in Canada.
                            Pretty sure if you do your research on the Balkans situation of a few years ago, religion was the main dividing line.
                            Cheers
                            Randy

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: Is there a wedge being created in our society?

                              I like to imagine I have a pretty unbiased view. I was raised in a rather religious family, but affiliate with none myself. Country bumpkin most of my life, and am happy to be now again. My military service opened my eyes to some of the worst man has to offer, and also the very best we have to offer... and everything in between.

                              Anyway, I have only ever had one stipulation in regards to religion;
                              don't impose you're beliefs on me & mine and we can all live happily ever after.
                              Unfortunately these extremists don't, and by their interpretation of their good book, they can not, allow those who will not join them to live, let alone live peacefully.

                              Until those on both sides of the "wedge" can agree as to how to remedy the situation, the wedge will stay put.
                              I am constantly disappointed by both sides.



                              That all said, please don't base ideas or opinions off what we are fed by the media... it paints a very poor picture of our world, and does so solely to make $$. There is still more good in this world than evil, but no ones buys/clicks/reads good news anymore.
                              [insert something witty here]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X