Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with Hyundai/Kia/Nissan SUV's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Experience with Hyundai/Kia/Nissan SUV's?

The all wheel drive is really nice for those areas with lots of iced roads or heavy wet snow.

We have a Subaru and Lexus with full time 4 wheel drive which are impressive. Course when the snow gets really deep I still prefer the ancient old Dodge 2500 4x4 for some reason.
    Last edited by Egon; 05-18-2017, 12:55 PM.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

by the time this next vehicle is paid for, the truck will be 10yrs old. depending on it's condition it may get traded in. but this suv will be ours for atleast 7-10yrs unless something un forseen arises.
      by then it could/should have well over 200k, trade value won't be high regardless what it is. but if we stick with a brand it would probably be worth something in loyalty value (we will get $800 loyalty towards a new nissan since wife has owned hers since new '06... that's more than the car is worth now)

anyway, wife test drove both back to back today, Hyundai last, then since the girl we had spoke with so far wasn't in the sales manager dealt with her. While I doubt he would have spoken the way he did had I been there, I was not impressed with her treatment seeing as she was alone.

here's the jist of what he told her, not verbatim, she was PeedOff while telling me.

"online price must not have had some costs, it's actually $233/biwkly"
      (pathfinder is $214)
      "oh husband works @ XX, ok we can go down to $221, but I can't do any better"

"oh you want $200biwkly, well let's go with 84/months @ 2.49% (instead of 72 @ 1.49%), there perfect"

"well it comes down to you wanting to save some $$, or putting you're kids in the safer vehicle"

"Nissans will have tranny issues cuz they stay in higher rpm range longer, in town & coming off highway, so they overheat and go bad"

"why don't you go home and discuss with your husband, or do you want to call him and we can all talk?"

Also turns out my bosses friend owns the Nissan we've been dealing with, may be able to help out a bit. Ugh, I may be driving a Pathfinder in the future.
      Egon likes this.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Watchout for the Pathfinder, they have a bad history of tranny problems since moving from BOF and old shcool tranny to the more unibody and the CVT tranny.
        Try the pathfinder forum and look for issues cvt issues

Comment

Toyota highlander?

Comment

CVT issues are well documented.
            '13 & '14 it was bad, lots and lots of recalls/replaced trans.

'15 much improved, very few issues
            '16 better still
            '17 no probs yet, however they did program it to have "shift points" now so it will sound like a normal auto shifting gears...

wife found out that nissan is 3/60 for basic warranty, 5/100 powertrain... so I breathe a little easier hearing that.

Highlander in seating/spec we want... add $12k easy, it's not in the stars at this time.

Unless you know someone looking for a rare Buffalo 15 floor model drill press, 3ph, 1/2hp... bargain priced @ $12k

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
              "why don't you go home and discuss with your husband, or do you want to call him and we can all talk?"
              Amazing! It's unbelievable that there are people who still think this way....he needs a 2x4 upside his ears....

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along the only info that that I have that might be helpful and which you may already know. Every SUV that I have ever ridden in has had a rough ride. I'm used to pickups which is not what you need, but my family has owned Jimmys, Trackers, Blazers, Subaru's, Equinoxes and Rav4s. None of them has had a ride that I would classify as anything other than "sport". I could feel the pavement and hear the tires on every one. Personally I expected a lot quieter and smoother, so I'll stick with my trucks, but I thought I'd pass that along.

cheers

Comment

anyway, wife test drove both back to back today, Hyundai last, then since the girl we had spoke with so far wasn't in the sales manager dealt with her. While I doubt he would have spoken the way he did had I been there, I was not impressed with her treatment seeing as she was alone.

here's the jist of what he told her, not verbatim, she was PeedOff while telling me. ...

Ugh, I may be driving a Pathfinder in the future.
                Two factors that pretty much override all the rest...

1. RUN, do not walk, away from this dealer. You do not want anything to do with them no matter which brand. If, in the end, you really want this brand, find another dealer with a proper attitude, even if that means another city.

2. You said in your initial post that your wife is happy with Nissan and leaning that way in this decision. And that it will be primarily her vehicle. That should be good enough for you. Period.

This from someone who just celebrated 46 years of mostly happy marriage. Most of the unhappy times are related to ignoring things like this.

We were in exactly this situation when we got our last vehicle ... down to three contenders for a car that would be hers. All of the decision factors had them quite close. No huge factor that would make one jump right out. ... Except one. ... My wife preferred the Mazda3. It was third on my list, but over the years I've learned my lesson, too often the hard way. We bought the Mazda3. That was 6 years ago. She is still very happy with it.

So am I. ... Zoom-Zoom. :-)

...ken...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post
                  Two factors that pretty much override all the rest...

1. RUN, do not walk, away from this dealer. You do not want anything to do with them no matter which brand. If, in the end, you really want this brand, find another dealer with a proper attitude, even if that means another city.

2. You said in your initial post that your wife is happy with Nissan and leaning that way in this decision. And that it will be primarily her vehicle. That should be good enough for you. Period.

This from someone who just celebrated 46 years of mostly happy marriage. Most of the unhappy times are related to ignoring things like this.

We were in exactly this situation when we got our last vehicle ... down to three contenders for a car that would be hers. All of the decision factors had them quite close. No huge factor that would make one jump right out. ... Except one. ... My wife preferred the Mazda3. It was third on my list, but over the years I've learned my lesson, too often the hard way. We bought the Mazda3. That was 6 years ago. She is still very happy with it.

So am I. ... Zoom-Zoom. :-)

...ken...
                  true words of wisdom.

thanks

Comment

CVT issues are well documented.
                    '13 & '14 it was bad, lots and lots of recalls/replaced trans.

'15 much improved, very few issues
                    '16 better still
                    '17 no probs yet, however they did program it to have "shift points" now so it will sound like a normal auto shifting gears...
                    Food for thought, later years ('15, '16', '17) might not show issues yet as they don't have the km's on them to reveal the issues?
                    Not raggin' on Nissan, I've been driving their trucks/SUV's for the last 25 years and been more than happy. Just weary of the 4th Gen version of the Pathfinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust View Post
                      Stafford show friday mentioned the top 7 cars with owner issues for 2017. Hyndai or Kia one of them were in there and he was surprised. worth checking into there might be one or two models out there with some issues not sure where he got the info from for the show something recent but you could check
                      I searched the Stafford show and it pulled up a bunch of show clips, that one wasn't there. If anyone finds it I'd be interested.

Originally posted by billh View Post
                      If you are a person who trades a vehicle in when it still has some life rather you might check on how well the models hold some value. I was told by a non-KIA salesman that KIA doesn't hold their value but that may not be true. FWIW.
                      While I cannot guarantee the above is true, I would suspect it is. Look at the used KIA market, they are pretty cheap. I'm also leary of anything that's ever winning awards for "Best Initial Quality". I don't care how great it is the first year. How is it the 5th year?

Which dealer was it that your wife had that bad experience at? After going to a number of dealers a couple weeks ago. A lot of them tend to trash each other, or tell you that you will either have problems with the vehicle or getting one spec'd how you want it. Thankfully my wife and I are savvy enough people to be able to just ignore this and make our own informed decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeti View Post

Food for thought, later years ('15, '16', '17) might not show issues yet as they don't have the km's on them to reveal the issues?
                        Not raggin' on Nissan, I've been driving their trucks/SUV's for the last 25 years and been more than happy. Just weary of the 4th Gen version of the Pathfinder.
                        well the '13 & '14s issues came up rather quickly, by year 2 the recalls and replacements had begun.

so while I am weary, the '15, '16 & '17s "should" have their problems pop up by now. Unless of course the newer trans last twice as long as the older ones did... then ya we are screwed if we go with one.

Comment

Originally posted by EMSbyDay View Post

I searched the Stafford show and it pulled up a bunch of show clips, that one wasn't there. If anyone finds it I'd be interested.

While I cannot guarantee the above is true, I would suspect it is. Look at the used KIA market, they are pretty cheap. I'm also leary of anything that's ever winning awards for "Best Initial Quality". I don't care how great it is the first year. How is it the 5th year?

Which dealer was it that your wife had that bad experience at? After going to a number of dealers a couple weeks ago. A lot of them tend to trash each other, or tell you that you will either have problems with the vehicle or getting one spec'd how you want it. Thankfully my wife and I are savvy enough people to be able to just ignore this and make our own informed decisions.

I feel it is true. same year, trim level, etc, Toyota vs Kia, or even Honda vs Ford in some classes... one is worth more and "should" sell for more.

I am somewhat brand loyal, so if XX treats me well, and their product does well by me I am happy to buy XX again. So whoever I go with can expect to see us again in 5-10 years, and maybe a few friends in between who "heard good things" about XX. So I hope they value their own product a little more than the general public might when I decide to trade it in.

Deny warranty, don't fix issues, or otherwise treat us poorly and they can expect no further business from us, or singing their praises if/when asked about them.

for example, it was Lauria Hyundai in Port Hope where we had been treated very very well by the original sales rep. However the second person, who did not treat her very well has dug them a very very deep hole. I have already contacted another Hyundai dealer, but prices are the same.

We are not in a hurry, I have researched, and still am, everything we are looking at. We may lose out on colour options, or the number of cars to pick from by waiting... but we know what we want to spend, and want the best bang for our buck in that price range.

again, thanks all

Comment

Something else to look at if you haven't already done so is a subscription to Carcostcanada or similar. There are a couple others out there, we used car cost on our last 2 purchases and were pleased with the outcome.

if I recall it was the Tucson dual clutch transmission that was the issue on Stafford,

We just gave our daughter our 2007 crv with 220000 problem free (money out of pocket) miles but declined on a new model CRV due to CVT transmission and turbo engine (Just me and no facts to say weather either are good or bad)

Shaun

Comment

When Kia and Hyundai entered the market many years ago, they were on the same class as the Yugo, a POS. They did a complete turnaround and in the US, they are consistently in the top three or four of all vehicles on the market in reliability, customer satisfaction and warranty. Nissan has been around forever and is a quality vehicle. Any of the three would be a good buy.

Comment

Just due to the nature of construction a CVT transmission I'd pass on them for a few more years. (The principle is great and been in use in various forms for years)

There are are times a high end luxury used vehicle can be a good buy.
                                Egon
                                from
                                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                                X