An observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An observation

It seems there are more occasions where information is exchanged externally via private messages, Emails, phone calls, etc. I just think that's a detriment to the forum. The way we learn is to read the answers to questions and situations here on this forum. If the information is not shared I think we all lose. Why does that happen? Could it be fear of being challenged. Fear of looking like a beginner. Fear that you might supply a less than perfect response etc. Maybe tired of giving out the same old answer again. I'm not sure but has anyone else noticed?

"Do it Right!"
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: An observation

Yeah, it happens .... more lately? .... less lately? I doubt it. It's just the on-line version of what happens in real life. I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Well said Rusty, i think it is an option that is not needed here. Speak up or shut up i say. From what i see that IS written on here i can just imagine what is behind the lines, lol...
      Our problem here is the mix of levels we have Rusty and all the keyboard hero's and all about me.
      BUT that's why i come here as i get a chuckle from many posts. I have been here sense Paul wrote his first article and was just a few sheets of paper stapled together. When he got the rag on the go i ran ads for many years. Got busy and had no time to come here for years. Changed ISP's and new email address so i re signed up a while back.
      The trick here is to not get to serious as sure as heck someone will try to tell you that 5+5 is not 10.. I personally know of many professional wood workers driven away from here because of stupid net picking.

Comment

Can't say I've noticed any increase. I've traded a few PM's lately but not information that would be of use to the forum at large. Not sure what you have noticed.
        John@Hamilton likes this.

Comment

I don't see it as a major NO NO issue. Please don't get me wrong! I just see it as a way in which we lose some content that could be very helpful to some of us. As I said; "just an observation."
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Curious as to how you would even know this ?
            Woodwreck likes this.
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

It ain't really really rocket science Rich. LOL. One guy says to another; "I'll PM you that information when I get home." Or,,,,,,"I sent you a PM."
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                It ain't really really rocket science Rich. LOL. One guy says to another; "I'll PM you that information when I get home." Or,,,,,,"I sent you a PM."
                Typically I see those in the Swap Meet section where, I assume, they are sharing phone numbers or addresses to complete a deal. I disagree with RV Sam, everyone should have the choice to share information, a comment or question with the whole forum or just those that they want to. Maybe to share some personal information with someone that you don't want to be public but you feel they should know to understand your position.
                Woodwreck likes this.

Comment

I'm wondering if it a reaction based on all the trolling that happens on other forums. After a while some people are tired of being dumped on/challenged when they offer an opinion. I, myself, don't often post either because I don't know the answer to a question or a dozen others have already said what I was thinking. We are all different people and I think the reasons for exchanging information off the forum are too varied to be easily categorized.

Or I'm wrong.... your choice
                  The only water in the Forest is the river.

Comment

I always assume that anything sent via PM is confidential between 2 members. Maybe they are not wanting to share what they have to say.
                    I think your overthinking this, and to me I dont care what goes on between other members.
                    Mark in Burlington, Yeti and 5 others like this.
                    • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post

I always assume that anything sent via PM is confidential between 2 members. Maybe they are not wanting to share what they have to say.
                      I think your overthinking this, and to me I dont care what goes on between other members.
                      No Rich i'm not overthinking it and the normal stuff that you mention is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about ones where information regarding An OP's question is handled by someone saying I'll pm the info to you. In my opinion if you don't want to share that info that might be a help to all of us then you shouldn't be here. What could be so secret about divulgence when someone asks where can I go to get so and so? Maybe it's a source for a type of stain or a type of wood etc. That's the ones I'm talking about. No big deal!
                      "Do it Right!"

Comment

I learn more when I am wrong then when I am right. I had people PM me and I usually miss it completely. On these forums I think everybody can benefit from even the most novice of workers. They might have a way of doing things that will save me a ton of time. Who knows.

Comment

Ive had PM because "he didn't want to bother you guys" I now realise he didn't want challenging on his opinion, we all have our way of doing and reading this forum has taught me it don't matter which side of the world you live on its all the same s---, its good fun reading, straight from the hart, no editors.

Comment

I had about 6 PM this week that ended in a phone calls. I can spew 1000 times more information in five minutes then I can type in five minutes. Most of the time it’s so specific to the end-user, it is not useable (or relevant) to any other situation.
                            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

No Rich i'm not overthinking it and the normal stuff that you mention is not what I am talking about. I'm talking about ones where information regarding An OP's question is handled by someone saying I'll pm the info to you. In my opinion if you don't want to share that info that might be a help to all of us then you shouldn't be here. What could be so secret about divulgence when someone asks where can I go to get so and so? Maybe it's a source for a type of stain or a type of wood etc. That's the ones I'm talking about. No big deal!
                              how often does/has this example happen, that it has upset you so greatly? I have not kept an eye out for it, but I can't recall anymore than 2 or 3 instances when I've noticed it... in the short few years I've been here.
                              edit
                              two of those times I was involved.
                              1. someone offered help re:VFD
                              2. I called someone for help re:flooring.

however I do not involve myself in as many threads as some feel the need to, so perhaps I'm missing all these incidents you're so concerned with.

as for
                              "if you don't want to share that info that might be a help to all of us then you shouldn't be here."
                              I for one am pleased at how this place is run & operates, and appreciate that it does NOT run according to individuals opinions.
                              Last edited by beakie; 11-09-2018, 02:31 AM.
                              [insert something witty here]

Comment

Working...
                              X