An observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An observation

Interesting topic. As the OP stated, itís an observation and I really donít see that he is so greatly upset. It generates conversation.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I take it Rusty sees this more as the ones that have the answers take it back channel? Not so in my case . I get so many PM's and emails on questions that i can not keep up . Its the ones asking that would rather keep it back channel .
      iamtooler likes this.
      everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
      English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Wow!! It's just an observation. I'm not dying on this hill boys and girls. I'm not upset and I'm not overly concerned but why do you come here if not to learn something and or help someone else with your experiences. It's not like you're riding to work with someone and just jabbering about last nights game. I wonder how many new questions get asked here every week from people who are first or second time users of the forum. Mostly they get some damn good answers that are free. Those answers come from us and I think we can all suggest we too have picked up a tip or two which came from someones innocent question.

For those of you who think it doesn't happen just reread posts #14 and #15 above. Matt said he had about 6 PM's this week that ended in phone calls and the info he gave out was only relevant to the end user. Really? Maybe that's true if someone is building a widget for a whatchamacallit but I dunno and nor do you simply because you didn't get to read it! No I don't want to read private stuff. That's not the point at all and maybe the info he gave out is in fact no good to anyone else.

Then Tom says in his short time here he was involved personally on two occasions. One involving VFD and the other had to do with flooring. Either of those topics are particularly of interest to several members here aren't they? Thanks Tom those are perfect examples of what my topic is about.

My intention was not to broach the subject so I could become some sort of whipping boy for you guys. Take a break!
        Last edited by Rusty; 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
          I take it Rusty sees this more as the ones that have the answers take it back channel? Not so in my case . I get so many PM's and emails on questions that i can not keep up . Its the ones asking that would rather keep it back channel .
          Jack you've helped tons of guys graciously with your experiences and love of heavy iron. Now it's come to the point where you could start charging consulting fees.. Maybe you do already in one fashion or another but the point is it started as a freebie and people began to listen and now you have an audience. That might not have happened without your availability on public forum. At the same time lots of people here would not be buying and operating 3 phase equipment and VFD's would they? How did they get the info? They read it and watched it here! They were able to do that cause you shared it with everybody not just someone on the end of a PM!

Thanks Jack!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Wow!! It's just an observation. I'm not dying on this hill boys and girls. I'm not upset and I'm not overly concerned but why do you come here if not to learn something and or help someone else with your experiences. It's not like you're riding to work with someone and just jabbering about last nights game. I wonder how many new questions get asked here every week from people who are first or second time users of the forum. Mostly they get some damn good answers that are free. Those answers come from us and I think we can all suggest we too have picked up a tip or two which came from someones innocent question.

For those of you who think it doesn't happen just reread posts #14 and #15 above. Matt said he had about 6 PM's this week that ended in phone calls and the info he gave out was only relevant to the end user. Really? Maybe that's true if someone is building a widget for a whatchamacallit but I dunno and nor do you simply because you didn't get to read it! No I don't want to read private stuff. That's not the point at all and maybe the info he gave out is in fact no good to anyone else.

Then Tom says in his short time here he was involved personally on two occasions. One involving VFD and the other had to do with flooring. Either of those topics are particularly of interest to several members here aren't they? Thanks Tom those are perfect examples of what my topic is about.

My intention was not to broach the subject so I could become some sort of whipping boy for you guys. Take a break!
            You post a thread, we answer honestly, you get upset , what else is new.
            Yeti, Wally in Calgary and beakie like this.
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

I give up!

Comment

Iím with you Rusty, Iííve had PM or even emails asking questions, where I had an answer, but I did not give it, rather I just told them to ask the question on the forum, as yes I would answer, but there are other people with knowledge able to answer the question, and maybe have a better answer, plus others can learn from it.

I also notice that after someone like me answer a question, the next post is from someone else that did not answer to the question, saying I send you a PM, then I just wonder whats up with that ??
                Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-09-2018, 01:37 PM.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but to me and maybe just to me, these seems like something is being made of nothing.

1. people replying have lives outside the forum, and responding isn't always priority #1. so the timing of replies really shouldn't be an issue, I work shift and can be on at any time of the day.

2. my examples, which Rusty approves of, are exactly why PM's and/or phone calls are sometimes the appropriate path to take.
                  Why would I have Jack walk/talk me thru troubleshooting an issue I am having in real time, opposed to trying to type back & forth?
                  "ok, I did that, now what?" "program P4 to XX, and tell me what it says" "there was a fault, but this light flashed 3 times" "ah yes, ok do this"

3. as mentioned above, some people can talk much faster & clearly, than they can type. why confuse someone who is already having issues, if a simple phone call can solve an issue?

4. if someone who is curious what they missed out on by NOT being involved in the PM or phone call, why not ask in the thread, or start there own thread.

Randy in Calgary, redlee and Yeti like this.
                  [insert something witty here]

Comment

I had an experience a few years ago on this forum that taught me a lesson I won't forget. I had posted about what I thought at the time was a hack of my cell phone. A forum member replied by basically calling me an idiot in a diatribe. I replied with what I thought was a better explanation of why I had been hacked, and he tore into me again about my ignorance in technology. (I suspect he was technically right as to what the phone problem actually was). Then I got a PM from a mod that admitted they couldn't understand why the member was so aggressive with me, couldn't see anything in my post that was inflammatory, and then asked me if I would agree to have my post removed. At that point, I just said "sure, take it down". I felt like I was asked to leave the room so that I wouldn't cause any more trouble. I still make the occasional comment, or ask a question, but not very often. I've had a couple of people PM me with answers to questions, and I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
                      I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but to me and maybe just to me, these seems like something is being made of nothing.

1. people replying have lives outside the forum, and responding isn't always priority #1. so the timing of replies really shouldn't be an issue, I work shift and can be on at any time of the day.

2. my examples, which Rusty approves of, are exactly why PM's and/or phone calls are sometimes the appropriate path to take.
                      Why would I have Jack walk/talk me thru troubleshooting an issue I am having in real time, opposed to trying to type back & forth?
                      "ok, I did that, now what?" "program P4 to XX, and tell me what it says" "there was a fault, but this light flashed 3 times" "ah yes, ok do this"

3. as mentioned above, some people can talk much faster & clearly, than they can type. why confuse someone who is already having issues, if a simple phone call can solve an issue?

4. if someone who is curious what they missed out on by NOT being involved in the PM or phone call, why not ask in the thread, or start there own thread.

Thank you Tom, your question in red is exactly the point. Why indeed! The answer is so we can all learn something by reading his response. It's called sharing and I just think if you don't want to share said info or you prefer it to be private then send a private message to Jack or anyone else and ask your question directly. I don't for the life of me know why that's so impossible to understand and why I get all these derogatory comments.

Comment

Rusty and others
                        , PLEASE "don't give up". I personally always enjoy BOTH the question AND the answers! I have learned and shared a multitude of things on this forum....from all members.
                        I think sometimes people forget that the written word in concise terms has no way to convey "how" a person is stating or asking something.
                        I have been told to stop shouting because I hit the caps lock by accident with my big meathooks but I eventually learned to preview and reread Before posting. Often time is at a premium for some of us and we tend to be short on explanations/details and have to re-issue and explain in better detail(that's me!) but we all need to relax and enjoy this wonderful exchange of ideas/info/opinions.
                        I for one try to reread some of the posts to see HOW the poster asked /answered the question.
                        Enough of my blather....keep on posting everyone! there is no other forum like this on the "net"!!
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                          I had an experience a few years ago on this forum that taught me a lesson I won't forget. I had posted about what I thought at the time was a hack of my cell phone. A forum member replied by basically calling me an idiot in a diatribe. I replied with what I thought was a better explanation of why I had been hacked, and he tore into me again about my ignorance in technology. (I suspect he was technically right as to what the phone problem actually was). Then I got a PM from a mod that admitted they couldn't understand why the member was so aggressive with me, couldn't see anything in my post that was inflammatory, and then asked me if I would agree to have my post removed. At that point, I just said "sure, take it down". I felt like I was asked to leave the room so that I wouldn't cause any more trouble. I still make the occasional comment, or ask a question, but not very often. I've had a couple of people PM me with answers to questions, and I appreciate it.
                          Seems to me the mod made the wrong decision, he should have removed the offending posts not the post that was being replied to.
                          Rusty likes this.

Comment

Thank you Tom, your question in red is exactly the point. Why indeed! The answer is so we can all learn something by reading his response. It's called sharing and I just think if you don't want to share said info or you prefer it to be private then send a private message to Jack or anyone else and ask your question directly. I don't for the life of me know why that's so impossible to understand and why I get all these derogatory comments.

my thread was about a machine, I had VFD for it, which didn't work as planned. Jack supplied me a new vfd, and instead of derailing my own thread anymore I decided to move comms to phone call... because hey I'm an adult, I can make big boy decisions, and I wanted to resolve the issue in 10-15minutes... not over 10-15 hours via posting online.

now this issue was in regards to using a momentary switch to trigger the VFD on/off. which wasn't a big deal, but for someone like me who had no idea what they were doing the easiest and I would say BEST way to fix that issue was a live talk between 2 adults.

so as much as you seem to care, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that issue won't pop up in your daily life, and if it does you too can start a thread to seek help. if however you are making this into a big deal on behalf of others, why don't you let them worry about themselves?

now generally this may be better suited to a PM, but since that seems to be frowned on, I'll continue here... and it can be dealt with however it needs to be.

But,
                            maybe you're getting "all these derogatory comments" because you're in the minority with this tooic of yours.
                            perhaps you're ideas and/or opinions are just not the most popular, but that's ok. That doesn't make them wrong, but it doesn't mean it's your job to convince others they are right.

Comment

Tom I will try one more time. If you see no merit in sharing info regardless of what it is that's up to you and I readily admit not every piece of info is pertinent to me and perhaps not even important or worthwhile to anyone else but you. You're being very specific and I was trying to be casually universal.

Comment

Tom I will try one more time. If you see no merit in sharing info regardless of what it is that's up to you and I readily admit not every piece of info is pertinent to me and perhaps not even important or worthwhile to anyone else but you. You're being very specific and I was trying to be casually universal.
                                when people move conversations to PM and/or phone calls, I'd wager they are conversing about VERY specific topics.
                                That in fact, is exactly the reason they need to talk over the phone, or without 2, 3 or more people cluttering up a 2way conversation.

If I ask a question, and someone has the answer, but needs input & feedback from me, than WE don't require any further confusion added.
                                If I'm on the phone @ home I goto a different room so I can focus on that conversation.
                                On here it's sometimes hard to differentiate between who is asking what, saying what, or doing what, and by the time I reply, 2 others have replied, and I may miss that entirely.

Using your first sentence as an example.

I have never said there is no merit, I don't feel I've even implied that. Yet you've read into what I've written here, and decided to accuse me of not seeing the merit of sharing info. Now "accuse" may not be the best word to use, but again I see you trying to convince me that what you say is right, and that I am wrong.

But don't worry, my skin is just as thick as my head is.

Comment

Working...
                                X