Dead Water Heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Water Heater

GSW Superflew model 6G40NVH-ES-04. 5.5 years old. The only sign of life is one of the 6 leds on the White Rodgers controller is yellow, the B light. In the manual there are over a dozen codes using different combos of the 6 LEDs, but of course None has just the B light on. No hum, no click, not a thing except for the B led on. Unplugged, tried to reset via the 2 temp adjust buttons, nothing. IF the darn thing at least tried to fire i would have a direction to go in but as it is now i am clueless on this. Searching the world wide net i see nothing like this. Any help ? Thanks guys.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dead Water Heater

Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz6DWmeo2dY
    Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Been there and done that lol. Thats the first thing i tried.

Comment

How about the vapour sensor, if it has one? Were you doing anything with oil paint or varnish or some other hydrocarbon in the house before the unit locked out?

Comment

It has one but nothing went on different and just to be sure, as i was not home, i put a fan blowing on it overnight and slept with my fingers crossed. Did nothing. Been calling around and no one really wants to play with these units as to many things it can be, wow.

Comment

It's not a rental, right?

Comment

The exhaust outside is clear of snow??

Comment

Generally the first thing you want to check is there is no external blockage due to snow. The second thing you want to check is,is the exhaust fan starts up. Then there is a couple relays. Then the igniter. Sometimes the igniter can get faulty. If everything checks, the next thing that clicks is the natural gas valve. Where are you in the sequence of things when you plug it in from a five-minute unplug?
                For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Thanks guys. None of those in this case. With a vent block the exhaust fan will come on, fail to get a good blow and will shut down. With the igniter the fan will come on and get a good blow on the go, open the gas valve that will let the gas flow and not light in a few seconds and go into shut down.
                  Any of that i could prove out in a few minutes but this darn thing had me re thinking my thinking because except for one of the 6 LEDs being on (the B) there was NO sign of life at all. I could bypass a few things and fire up and the fan, get the gas valve to open ( just for a second , hehe ) but with everything set as it should, not a.... If i had to guess or walk the plank i would guess the main board that has the electronics in it. I wanted to buy one but i didn't, because if it was not that i could not return it. $350.. Soooo i did the hated thing, i called The Guy.. Went through 4 and no one wanted to touch this kind of heater due to all the electronics and sensors and this and that yak yak and how they changed parts and it didn't fix it and they had to take them out and now add that to there stock as no returns from them also. None of them had the main control board and didn't want to buy one to try. So i changed my story over to, do YOU have a control board for a GSW with White Rodgers # xxxxxxxxx that i got from the side of the module. Found a guy and he said he can be out in an hour with. How much total i asked, $450 tax in. So that's only 100 over if i had to get one myself and if it did not work for him he would take it out. " I have hot water now." Half the friggin' cost of the unit, wow. It came across my mind to just go get a new tank $995. This one will be 6 years old come October so could not force myself to do it and would have only a year warranty again anyway on anything that can go defective. 10 years on all parts that do not break down.
                  This part FYI as it will be something i will look at come replacement time has the 1. probe for the temperature 2. gas valve 3. control module with the lights and buttons to set the temp ALL into the same unit. So i now have a good gas valve, a good thermometer that is useless , because a nickle item went out on a circuit board. Good thing that White Rodgers and GSW do not make cars because if they did and you had a flat tire you will need to change the tire, rim, axle, shocks, tie rods and maybe a few more item, WOW, shame shame shame.

Comment

Presume you have disconnected power and left for a minute and reconnected . Also check for correct voltage.
                    Bob just past Ayr

Comment

I replaced mine after about ten years. During that ten years I had replaced the ignitor and one of the gas valve solenoids. When another ignitor fried I didn't want to put any more money into a ten year old heater.

Even if a new one costs 1000 its still more economical than renting. 30 a month times 5 years is 1800. I bet they're more than 30 a month now too.

Comment

Roger that bender. If i tossed this one out at only 5 and a half years old i would be ahead of a rental. That thought crossed my mind . Also figured that maybe now is the time for one of those tank-less ones but the cost changed my mind in a hurry. A friend collects scrap metals and i have seen 3 of those in his pile of junk over the last 6 months that looked new enough to sell. Not sure what problems they had to end up there but with that in mind and the cost i decided against it. I would also think that the burner in those tankless jobs would be huge gas eaters but know nothing about them so not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
                          Roger that bender. If i tossed this one out at only 5 and a half years old i would be ahead of a rental. That thought crossed my mind . Also figured that maybe now is the time for one of those tank-less ones but the cost changed my mind in a hurry. A friend collects scrap metals and i have seen 3 of those in his pile of junk over the last 6 months that looked new enough to sell. Not sure what problems they had to end up there but with that in mind and the cost i decided against it. I would also think that the burner in those tankless jobs would be huge gas eaters but know nothing about them so not sure.
                          The tankless heaters are good, but need to be descaled every 6 months or so, depending on your water. Most people don’t do it and they are plugged up after 2-3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Waubaushene View Post

The tankless heaters are good, but need to be descaled every 6 months or so, depending on your water. Most people don’t do it and they are plugged up after 2-3 years.
                            We needed to replace the water heater in a rental house, so we got advice from a couple of recommended local contractors. They said almost the same things .... tankless heaters suffer from corrosion ruining the exchanger piping if the hardness is not well controlled, and depending on where you are the temperature rise required may be too great to be economical. Here in Monteith our incoming water is about 5'C during the winter.

I hadn't heard about "descaling", but it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I hadn't heard about "descaling", but it makes sense.
                              Family of 4, descale every year. A couple or single person, every 2 years. With water softener, every 5 years.
                              https://youtu.be/8-ts7XuvS48

Comment

Working...
                              X