Should I buy an older Wood Stove?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy an older Wood Stove?

I'm looking at Napoleon EPA 1000S wood stove for basement of my home. Mid 90's and in good shape, $250. The people went south most winters so it wasn't burned every full season. From the manual the efficiency is stated to be 68%, new models have claims in the 80's. It will be used for heat to save on propane costs.

I will be obtaining a permit and wett inspection.

Is this a good or bad idea to try and save money in this area?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Should I buy an older Wood Stove?

Get a quote from your home insur, for the cost of having a wood burn stove in your home. Then you can make a better decision.

Comment

I have heard horror stories about increases in insurance costs from having a wood stove in the house. Are they true? I don't know, but Bill's suggestion is what i would do.

Also ... not to dampen your enthusiasm, but .... in my early twenties I spent four years living in Northern Ontario and heating with nothing but wood. That cured me. In those years I loved the heat from a wood stove, and I loved having the cookstove in the kitchen, but I will never, ever do the "house heating" again with wood. But , that was me and I wish you the best with your venture!

Comment

We bought a used napoleon about the same vintage, maybe a bit newer. The insurance increase was only an extra $25 a year, and it's worked out great. I have had to replace the fire brick and the gaskets, and the previous owner had already replaced the graphite ceiling tiles - which he said kept burning out - for some thick solid steel ones, but otherwise it's been hassle free. We go through about ten cord a year just to help keep the propane down. Plus, it's much more enjoyable than just propane heat. It's nice to sit in front of, nice to be able to hand mitts and touques on the mantle to dry, and it just makes such a warmer heat than just our propane Furnace does.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
          We bought a used napoleon about the same vintage, maybe a bit newer. The insurance increase was only an extra $25 a year, and it's worked out great.
          Well, there you go! That $$ is not really anything at all. It's always good to hear from someone with actual experience.

Nice!

Comment

Yeah, the insurance cost is not a lot, whether new stove or older EPA stove. The question is New Stove VS Older stove in all other aspects.

Comment

Ryan, you said 10 cords of wood per year. That seems like a huge amount.
              Last edited by NeverEnoughMusic; 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverEnoughMusic View Post
                Ryan, you said 10 chords of wood per year. That seems like a huge amount.
                He might be referring to face cords .... in which case, if they are 16" face cords he's using, he's using a bit more than three full cords a year. Where we lived we had no hardwood other than Birch, so we burned Birch, Tamarack, Jackpine and Poplar, all well dried, and we burned fifteen full cord per year (45 x 16" face cords)

EDIT :: you won't have anywhere near that consumption due to the efficiency of the Napoleon style stoves and if you live in the south you'll have access to decent fire wood that you can make sure is properly dried before you burn it. As long as you control the "in house" smoke/soot and be careful not to track ashes and sawdust around it will be a lot more fun than it used to be.
                Last edited by John Bartley; 04-12-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

The New Blaze King uses a Catalytic Converter at the top which burns the soot that would normally go up the chimney increasing the efficiency by up to 10%. Blaze King stoves are about $3500.

Comment

Thanks John. Doing a little math, at 3 or 4 full cord of hardwood per year I'd be saving around $2k per year considering the propane cost during coldest months is $1kmin. Plus we like constant warmth wood heat provides vs the furnace on/off cycles.

Comment

You cannot cheat the physics involved. You need a certain flue temp to avoid condensation in the chimney. A catalytic converter may be rendered useless by accidentally burning the wrong thing, in the past that meant one page of coloured comics from a newspaper. When we installed a Jotul with a 5'' stove pipe the fact that it was airtight was meaningless as we ran it wide open 24 hrs per day. We stayed warm by stoking the fire.
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Well, there you go! That $$ is not really anything at all. It's always good to hear from someone with actual experience.

Nice!
                        it is dependant on the insurance company.

our previous insurer quoted us 3x the cost for this home as what we pay with new insurer.

they couldn't even give accurate quote because their computer didn't have a "wood firebox" (wood burner inline with propane furnace) in their drop down menu... only "wood stove" or "fireplace". they were specifically a more urban home insurer.
                        they also said if I kept the woodstove in the garage/out building, it would void the whole property insurance.

before we moved we contacted a local/rural insurer. their inspector knew exactly what everything was, and we pay $45/yr for the wood stove in garage. no added cost for the wood firebox.
                        nnieman likes this.
                        [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

it is dependant on the insurance company.

our previous insurer quoted us 3x the cost for this home as what we pay with new insurer.

they couldn't even give accurate quote because their computer didn't have a "wood firebox" (wood burner inline with propane furnace) in their drop down menu... only "wood stove" or "fireplace". they were specifically a more urban home insurer.
                          they also said if I kept the woodstove in the garage/out building, it would void the whole property insurance.

before we moved we contacted a local/rural insurer. their inspector knew exactly what everything was, and we pay $45/yr for the wood stove in garage. no added cost for the wood firebox.
                          Yes this ^^

Check with your insurance company first.

Theres a good chance they will flat out refuse to insure you with a used wood stove.
                          Their policies on wood stoves vary wildly.

Nathan
                          Kayhan likes this.

Comment

Yes, John is correct, I meant face cords. Around here they are around $100 a face cord, mostly maple, birch, other random hardwoods.
                            I should have also thought to say that I burn in the shop too, and it's about half and half. So if we were just the house, we'd probably only use 5 face cord, or $500 worth. I haven't run the numbers lately, but it was about a $2k difference in my propane Bill when I checked after the first year burning, and like I said, it's so preferable that I'd probably burn even if I saved no money.

Comment

Just a note from friends.. I'm presently involved with those friends who are fighting an insurance adjuster who does not want to pay their claim. It has nothing to do with wood fires or heating whatsoever so is off topic to a degree but my point is do not trust what they say. Read your policy very carefully and maybe take it to a lawyer as well. The insurers of today are the worst of the worst. They want the premiums but no way do they want to realistically cover your loss. Be very carefull folks. My friends claim is under 50 grand and their agent is a family member whose hands are totally tied.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X