Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre-Dame is burning.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Watching it on the large monitor in the Tech room. It's hard to believe that all the wood, carvings, art, stained glass etc. are destroyed............Rod.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/notre-...fire-1.5098604
    Work is the curse of the riding class.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Notre-Dame is burning.

Agreed.

Early reports indicate it was likely connected to the renovation work being done.

Reminds me of the similarly started fire in Windsor castle, or more dearer to my heart, if I'm honest, the Chapman's ice cream factory! Both started by construction workers.

When I teach the carpentry course at the community college, I've often noticed how easy it is to find great resources for personal safety, safe tool handling, safety around electrical, etc, but in comparison fire safety materials don't seem to be nearly as plentiful.

Comment

I'm sick to my stomach, I studied it for a project while in art school and finally got to see it in person 5 years ago, it is devastating.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Absolutely horrific that such an icon is being destroyed from construction after all these years. Im sure it will be rebuilt. If there is any saving grace, its that the structure has been well documented and studied so accurate reconstruction will be possible .

A bigger question to me is considering its historic signifignance why were there no fire prevention systems in place?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby074 View Post
          Absolutely horrific that such an icon is being destroyed from construction after all these years. Im sure it will be rebuilt. If there is any saving grace, its that the structure has been well documented and studied so accurate reconstruction will be possible .

A bigger question to me is considering its historic signifignance why were there no fire prevention systems in place?
          It's value as a tourist attraction aside, it was still a functioning Catholic Church, no?

If so, I have no idea of the state of its finances, so I'm just thinking out loud here, but in an age of growing secularism and shrinking congregations, many of these old cathedrals are in tight financial situations - especially considering that the older they get, the costlier their upkeep becomes. Increased costs with decreased revenue is not a recipe for fresh capital investments like modern fire suppression, especially since, I imagine, retrofitting such a system into such a historic building would probably be hilariously expensive.

Bottom line, I don't know for sure, but I would not be surprised to hear that the answer to your question was "they couldn't afford it."

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post

It's value as a tourist attraction aside, it was still a functioning Catholic Church, no?

If so, I have no idea of the state of its finances, so I'm just thinking out loud here, but in an age of growing secularism and shrinking congregations, many of these old cathedrals are in tight financial situations - especially considering that the older they get, the costlier their upkeep becomes. Increased costs with decreased revenue is not a recipe for fresh capital investments like modern fire suppression, especially since, I imagine, retrofitting such a system into such a historic building would probably be hilariously expensive.

Bottom line, I don't know for sure, but I would not be surprised to hear that the answer to your question was "they couldn't afford it."
            I believe that it still was functioning as a church yes. But Id bet it was more a tourist attraction in sheer volume of visitors. CNN is saying that it receives upwards of 13 million visitors/year. Thats over 35,000/day.

I have no idea what if anything they charge to tour the site, but I know that many of these tourist attractions in Europe charge significant sums to visit. Lets pick a low number of $10CAD tour, thats $356,164/day!! before expenses.

Comment

I don't remember paying for the tour, you did have to get tickets and go on a guided tour to avoid chaos. I did see a report recently about how they are struggling for funds to do the repairs.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

I just read that, in modern times, the cathedral is actually owned by the state, but governed by the Catholic Church, and the two have always been arguing over who should pay for upkeep. As of late they established a separate arms length foundation to manage and finance the renovation work. That foundation received some funding from the state and was publicly fundraising for the rest. Their latest report said they were running short of funds.

So that still doesn't tell us what, if any, fire suppression system they had invested in, but it does say that they were not flush with cash.

Comment

Saw it about 10 years ago when I was in Paris for a week. So sad to see this.
                  Steve The Drill Sergeant
                  Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

I saw it way back in '88 when I went on a school trip to Europe. I don't actually remember much except the headless guy holding his head somewhere at the front of the church. Wish I had paid more attention back then but I was just a kid.

John
                    Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Reports say only the bell tower/spire was involved in the fire. Still terrible but not a complete loss.

Comment

It's a a lot more than the bell tower from what I see on TV. If the Catholic church can't afford repairs no one can. To me up front this all about greed. It's the same as billionaire sports team owners demanding that we pay for their facilities or they'll move the team.

IMHO opinion it can't be rebuilt as it was. It was fraught with engineering boo boos from the start. That's why it has those flying buttresses it's so famous for. Without them it would have collapsed years ago. A quick google search will confirm that for you.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

It is sad to see this artifact be lost. A Project of this size, with its history, will be lost forever, except for pictures.

Their are about couple dozen projects on my bucket list. It's sad to say that one will not be filled.
                          Last edited by Matt Matt; 04-15-2019, 11:36 PM.
                          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

The spire was in the center cross, the cathedral was built in the shape of a cross. All of the interior of the main church along with its roof has been destroyed. If I remember correctly this was built as original with the flying buttresses being integral to its design. (Not the first cathedral to incorporate the buttresses) it definitely was a piece of history and so glad that I got to see it in 2017, and yes we did have to pay to get inside, though I can’t remember how much, Apparently the bell towers have remained intact.
                            Last edited by John-in-Abbotsford; 04-16-2019, 01:21 AM.

Comment

The two bell towers survived mostly. They are surveying the damage to them now.

Comment

Working...
                              X