Northern california planned power outage, 38 counties, 800,000 people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern california planned power outage, 38 counties, 800,000 people

Because of firestorms last two years attributed to power lines, local power will go out to 800,000 people in 38 counties in No California, power will shut down starting tonight on a schedule, to be out possibly for five days.

Freeway tunnels will shut down for lack of ventilation and power driven systems.

I have a small generator to run a frig. and a couple of lights plus quite a bit of battery lanterns etc. stuff. No computer.

This will make a complacent public aware of the need for emerge. Prep. For fire as well as earthquake.

Any northern neighbors here that have interests in the subject can check CBS news and cable TV.
    Start slow; wind down gracefully
    woodbilder@mac.com
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Northern california planned power outage, 38 counties, 800,000 people

I read a news item that stated that they recently shutdown the power for a windstorm & as a result, there were a number of fires caused by home generator use.

Comment

Steve, you better have plentyof gas to run the generator. The gas stations will all be down unless they have gens also. See you on the bright light side my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
        I read a news item that stated that they recently shutdown the power for a windstorm & as a result, there were a number of fires caused by home generator use.
        I have not seen any such reports but I am not the least bit surprised. People are grabbing generators, some of whom haven't the least idea of the handling of gasoline - its storage, use, and a need to replace stocks periodically and use stabilizer. There is little or no problem with a generator, but rather with the administration of the gas inventory.

Another unmentioned issue is air quality and noise. All of a sudden we have thousands of relatively small 4 cycle gas engines with absolutely no smog prevention.

In No. California October is a windy situation with dry (no fog) winds blowing offshore - the opposite of normal flow the other 12 mos. It was the same week in 1989 or 90 when 3,000 homes were lost in the Oakland Hills fire. 2017 and 2018 brought the fire storms at again exactly the same week.
        woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Waubaushene View Post
          Steve, you better have plentyof gas to run the generator. The gas stations will all be down unless they have gens also. See you on the bright light side my friend.
          Thank you Mike, yes I have always had several cans on hand. Refreshing it was my bigger problem, not having to use fortunately.
          woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

This is too touchy to get into. All I can say is get used to it, things will have to get a heck of alot worse before the 1% is forced to back off their easy profits. To late then.
            Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 10-09-2019, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I read there were 86 killed in last year's fire and most ignitions were caused by power authority equipment. That fact creates a tough choice for those in positions of responsibility for the power grid.

Comment

Originally posted by bender View Post
                I read there were 86 killed in last year's fire and most ignitions were caused by power authority equipment. That fact creates a tough choice for those in positions of responsibility for the power grid.
                Yes, it really is lot of people lost lots of food, particularly restaurants etc. as p[opwer co. (PG&E aka HYDRO) stumbled around put so far the past 48 hrs. seem to be going with better notification from the utility and better preparation by the user.
                I expect the power for this computer (everything) to go this evening. I was having a routine call with my medical office and they had to excuse themself as the bnuilding announcement told them switching to backup

thx for your commentary
                woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Just hit the news airwaves up here a couple hrs ago, the media was told power was going out because of very dry conditions and expected very high winds. Hope everyone remains safe.

Comment

Thank you Carlos. I feel very comfortable - have had a small generator purchased after 911 ready to go, spot tested and started periodically. My original figure here of 800K is now well over 1MM people who be affected. I believe we are scheduled to be shut down at midnight.

Regrettably, my little Honda generator is unable to support my Unisaw . I'm looking for instructions on how to use a hand saw.
                    woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

We're in Fort Bragg on our way to a wedding in Berkeley on Fri, the b&b we booked has no power so we may be bunking on a couch with the brides family. Could be an interesting few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                        We're in Fort Bragg on our way to a wedding in Berkeley on Fri, the b&b we booked has no power so we may be bunking on a couch with the brides family. Could be an interesting few days.
                        I'm 30 minutes from Berkeley, in Concord. Check your PM - I would like to meet you since you came all this way.
                        Doug G likes this.
                        woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Working...
                        X