Tite Bond lll glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tite Bond lll glue

Does anybody know the lifetime of this glue in is plastic jar. I heritate of a full gallon of it last year. Since I do not use it that often, I was wondering how long I could keep it before it lost is strength. Thank's for the reply.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tite Bond lll glue

I can't answer your "strength" question other than to say that I have used it after two or three years and it held just fine. My issue was with it gelling (solidifying) while it sat, and TB says that if you tap the container on a hard surface for a while, the glue will thin out again. I tried that .... it worked !!

Comment

I had a similar problem a few years ago but with some other type of glue. I made a few test joints with some 1x soft lumber and then put the piece in the vise after a couple of days and whacked it with a hammer. In my case, the pieces failed at a grain-line and not the glue joint so I used it.
      billh

Comment

Everyone talks about shelf life but the manufacturers/resellers provide little useable reference information like a date of manufacture. You have to find the code, call the manufacturer, then go buy the container you validated. Or buy, validate, return if not satisfactory.
        I have several “old” containers of LV 2002GF and Titebond III. They still pour and hold. That is my experience.

Don

Comment

I had a jug of white glue that I inherited when my father in law died in 1985. Took me about 25 years to finally use it up. Never had a problem with it.
          Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

I did a little research, here it is: what I did is, glue 2 pieces of wood and let it dry 12 hours, then try to break it at the glue joint, well it break but besaide the glue joint, conclusion I presume the glue still good because it never break at the joint himself. Second I lay a stream of glue not a ruban on a piece of wood and let it dry also 12 hours, result the glue dry to a certain point, meaning by that the glue still soft in the inside but the surface is dry, but I can easy squize my finger nail in it. The glue is a beige color in the can, but get kind of gold when dry. Conclusion, I think the glue is still good after having it for about 4 years now on the shelve and using it only once a well, somebody told me to transfer it into smaler can and put it in a darker place to prevent detoriation from the light. Is it a god solution, I will try and time will tell. Thank's everybody for the sugestions and help.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Putting many things in smaller containers that are full or at least a lot fuller often is a good idea because the amount of oxygen in the container is reduced and oxygen can be a problem. Light may be an issue and the usual advice is that dark is better than light. Following these 2 steps won't make it worse and may well help.

billh

Comment

Thank's billh, thru you are.

Comment

Working...
                X