Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Burch
    replied
    Apple has lost its commitment to quality. Fortunately, there is a product called Parallels desktop that allows us to keep working software alive and well in the operating environment for which it was designed. I have a mid 2010 iMac that is no longer upgradable other than minor security updates. I have VM's (virtual machines) for Windows XP pro, Windows 10 pro, and 3 versions of OS/2. I did have a couple of older macOS vm's but dumped them to conserve space. Like Steve, I have not had any real upgrade issues until my machine reached "end of life". Based on this thread, I got investigating my options. I certainly do not want to invest in new hardware just because, and certainly if the only benefit is to install a broken OS, then maybe hold off.
    I picked up this idea from the Parallels website while looking for guidance. https://www.parallels.com/blogs/try-...llels-desktop/
    The procedure worked for High Sierra to Catalina
    I just created a new High Sierra VM (virtual machine) and have updated to Catalina 10.15. The update checker say I am current, so now I can play around with Catalina without compromising my operating partition. The VM gives you access to your iMac folders, as much or as little as you want/need. I will upgrade my desktop hardware once I see how well the convergence with IOS/iPadOS goes. Parallels also provides other little application specific performance tweaks that Apple cannot be bothered with at product launch.
    You do need valid licences in order to install in a Parallels VM - even the OS.
    It is a great way to keep your investment in some perfectly functional software alive and well.

Don

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied
    Thank you for the effort Roger. I see what you mean about the guy. I'm, not sure I'd call his input ranting or not but certainly rambling. Amnyway, any effort to back off Catalima will have to be the absolute last resort. I keep finding one change after another but the stuff that works is really nice. Thamnk you for the information.

Leave a comment:

• JustSomeGuy
    replied
    Do not know if this will help anyone but...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0QmIxOvILM
    He does rant a bit but his channel does have a lot of excellent info on Apple products.

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied
    Yea, Matt & Bill, I was used to the seamless upgrades that sailed through. As mentioned in my OP, I got caught up in a Senior Moment and didn't do my homework. The Catalina message said can't open because Apple has to check it for malware. Apple User Forum showed 150 other entries from other users asking the same question.

Catalina has some rough edges, but the solution is carefully hidden right in plain sight. Drag the app. into the Applications folder, and open with right click

https://www.fireebok.com/resource/ho...-catalina.html
    Last edited by Woodwreck; 10-15-2019, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    Can't argue too much with that, Matt. Other side of the coin is possibly the day that a new thing you feel you must have comes along and triggers a massive upgrade of software and frequently hardware. We tried to do a freeze of a minicomputer system at work years ago because it had all we needed. Worked fine for a while until the need popped up for more disk storage and the only option was a major OS change.

Of course there are those people who just can't sleep at night unless they are running the latest and greatest- you can see a bunch of these people on the news from time-to-time standing outside an Apple store at 4AM to get the new whatever!

billh

Leave a comment:

• matt.mackinnon
    replied
    The cost of upgrading sometimes exceeds the value you get from it. I am quite happy with Sierra. Yes its versions behind but the side of why upgrade when what you have works just fine. I will give up some of the security fixes as its clear that nowmatter what you have there will be issues you can't control. Like did everyone throw thier iPhone X and below into the garbage as there is a hardware security flaw in the chip that would allow someone to install software onto it without your knowledge?? Sure it could happen, but then again, the likelyhood or cost is just too high if your current phone works fine.

For me I use Adobe CS6 and have found ZERO reson to pay a monthly fee for newer software that does more than I need. Even CS6 is pretty much overkill for me. The cost also doesn't just come in the form of new software, but also learning how to use it as things change. I us Carbon Copy Cloner, and refuse to pay the $50 for a new version just to get apples new files system. Again, what I have now works fine enough,.

Leave a comment:

• Ed in Leaside
    replied
    Steve, how can you come in late on your own thread? Yes, $720 CDN to buy the current single seat license, or lease for $xx per month.

Leave a comment:

• Woodwreck
    replied
    Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post
    I'm using Filemaker Pro 6. I can't justify spending $720 to upgrade for the simple chores I use it for.
    Excuse me for coming in late here Ed, but just for my clarification, what would the $720 be for? Not Filemaker, would it?

Leave a comment:

• Ed in Leaside
    replied
    I'm using Filemaker Pro 6. I can't justify spending $720 to upgrade for the simple chores I use it for.

Leave a comment:

• WCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post

I still have a partition that boots into 10.6
    Mine is a virtual machine under Parallels. Last time I needed to use it was to prepare 10 years of tax returns for someone who hadn't bothered to file (net refund position!). To prepare the returns for some of the older years, I needed a way to run them under 10.6.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Ed in Leaside
    replied
    Originally posted by WCraig View Post
    FWIW, this is the same kind of transition that us long-term Mac users went through with OS X 10.6 to 10.7.
    I still have a partition that boots into 10.6

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    FWIW:

I had this problem years ago with my Epson flatbed scanner because of changes to Windows. I bought the VueScan driver software from www.hamrick.com and am more than happy with it
    ; they also do Mac and Linux
    . You can put it on 4 different computers you own and use it with any number of scanners attached to them. I believe there is a base version for $50US and Pro for $99US. The Pro version is very full featured.

billh

Leave a comment:

• WCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
    ...makes a leap into 64 bit processing from 32 bit
    The Mac OS has been primarily 64 bit for many years now--with Catalina, they've finally removed the legacy 32 bit support that has been carried over since the switch to Intel processors. The built-in System Report utility will scan all the installed applications on your machine and can report those that are not 64 bit. In my case, the old version of Microsoft Office that I still use, and the scanner software for my Epson printer are problems so I won't be upgrading right away.

FWIW, this is the same kind of transition that us long-term Mac users went through with OS X 10.6 to 10.7. With 10.7, support was dropped for running PPC applications in emulation on Intel processors. For many people, it was no big deal but a number of users stuck with 10.6 for a long time because of a particular app or two.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Mac latest Op System, OSX10.15 - Catalina. Tread lightly

Apple just introduced their latest operating system possibly as recently as the past week. I am not going to pretend to be capable of any reviews - that's above my pay grade. But, where past upgrades were pretty transparent and seamless, this makes a leap into 64 bit processing from 32 bit, and while that exhausts my technical reference, I would like to share a couple of caveats that escaped my attention, doing it in the wee hours as I tend to do to save someone some time and exasperation.

Aside from the usual caveats to back up data and so forth, watch out for application incompatibility. Many can be fixed by reviewing extensions (System pref./Security & privacy), but some app's may need to be updated, read Replace $$. For example, I found that a new version of M.S. Office 2019 was available at a bargain price of $50 (SoftwareProWorld.com) but my CAD software will add $300 to the adventure. About as much as a trip to its namesake Catalina Island (off the coast of San Diego) might be.

As to the incompatibility issue, I was immediately a recipient of an unfathomable error dialog box that I dragged down in the corner to get it out of the way while I scratched my evaporating hairline for a couple of hours to find a solution. I went to Apple User Group forum and immediately found 150 other users' postings of the identical problem. My Bluetooth Logitech devices don't work anymore but their website acknowledges the problem and says they are working on it while they offer some suggested workarounds.

Going through my applications one by one and verifying extensions seemed to work and the mysterious dialog went away.

I realize this isn't exactly the most technical review you have seen but take it for what it is worth as a heads up.

In the end, App speed is up significantly and I am working on learning its new features.

Enjoy your island adventure.
Working...
X