X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KenL
    replied
    Originally posted by callee View Post
    The problem, Ken, is that while I turned my back for just a second, it seems, the ancient technology of my memory got too ancient to function effectively any more!
    That is a problem for certain!

Ken

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    The problem, Ken, is that while I turned my back for just a second, it seems, the ancient technology of my memory got too ancient to function effectively any more!

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied
    I use and highly recommend a weather rock; a finely tuned instrument as old as the hills. Once suspended and tuned, the following observations can readily be made:
    • If the rock is wet, it's raining.
    • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
    • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
    • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
    • If the rock is difficult to see, it is foggy.
    • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
    • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
    • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
    • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
    • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
    • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
    • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
    • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
    • If the rock can be felt but not seen, it is night time.
    • If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.
    • If there are two rocks, stop drinking, you are drunk.
    The statistical information depends heavily on another ancient technology called your memory or a slightly less ancient one called making notes. Either is at least as accurate as Environment Canada for your particular location.

Just another take on it!

Ken

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
    How does it have historical data for your location?
    Just the data it collects. I didn't mean history as in the time prior to the unit itself. Rather, just the history of its own data collection. So I could right now, for example, see charts or graphs showing weather trends at my property over the last three months. The longer I run the unit, the longer the available history will be.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    How does it have historical data for your location?

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
    ''historical day''?
    stupid autocorrect.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    ''historical day''?

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Thought I'd post an update.

I was researching away on this, looking at your suggestions here, reading reviews and "best of" lists, and was having a hard time making a decision.

Then one day those cursed Amazon algorithms struck: I was surfing away and it gave me a banner add for one I'd never seen or heard of before, an "eco Witt".

I was a little concerned having never heard of it, but it had absolutely every feature I was looking for in the exact set up I wanted. There were lots of good reviews from verified purchasers, and it was on sale for $200 - about the limit of what I was willing to pay. So I decided to take a chance.

https://www.amazon.ca/ECOWITT-Weathe...ef_=ast_bbp_dp

That was 2-3 months ago, and so far I am exceptionally happy.

Set up was a breeze - you take the sensor array out of the box, stick on the wind vane, insert some back up batteries, then use the supplied U bolts to stick in on a pole you've already installed. It even has a bull's eye level on top to help you level it. The array has a solar panel on it and so it just automatically powers up and begins transmitting.

Inside, the base unit comes out of the box, plug in the wall wart and, voila, it connects to the sensor array and starts receiving data. Nothing to set up!

Now, that's for basic operation. You can go and tweak some settings to give you more functionality if you want - like you can set your GPS location, or you can connect it to your Wi-Fi network to that you can use your phone and their app to access your data, make charts, etc. I haven't really gotten into all that.

Overall the things I dislike about it are:

-the solar panel on the array is flat, horizontal, not on a slope, so the snow easily built up on it. I've had to go brush it off twice now.

The things I like are;

- no need to mess around with batteries
    -screen displays fluid fonts and graphics like a computer screen, not digital and choppy like a calculator

-colour coded circles around temperature readings are surprisingly helpful cues as to how warm or cold it is

- I like how it displays the sunrise and sunset, complete with a little active graphic of the sun arcing across the sky. I wasn't looking for that feature, but I've been surprised how much I've appreciated keeping track of the number of day light minutes, and knowing at a glance when the sun is going to set - that's been helpful for knowing how much time I have to do outdoor jobs.

-ditto the solar radiation number. Wasn't looking for that feature, but I've appreciated knowing how intense the sun actually is on a given day; I mean, sure it's sunny, but exactly how sunny is it?

-I like how it shows the day time high and low in little letters beside the current temp. It's nice to know how we're doing in relation to the rest of the day.

-I can access historical data with the press of a button. That's been interesting to see trends.

Bottom line, we're only three months in, but so far this seems to be the perfect weather station.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200102_1251585.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1266065
    Last edited by callee; 01-14-2020, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Originally posted by callee View Post
    Thanks Rob. Before I wired in the solar panels, I was using regular batteries and I remember it did spec a certain type of (expensive!) Battery for the cold climate.
    In my Reconyx game cam (fairly high end), they specify "Extreme Lithium" for long life cold weather use. That recommendation has proven to be true.

cheers

Leave a comment:

• scooby074
    replied
    Vantage Pro 2. Super happy with mine going on 10yrs

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied
    I have an Acu-rite it does everything I need, wind direction and speed, rain amount, temp, windchill, and I can set alarms if I want. I had plain duricel and they lasted about 3 years. I have some lithium to replace them as soon as I get the gumption to get the ladder out.

Leave a comment:

• John@Hamilton
    replied
    I have had 2 weather stations, both LaCrosse. I used Lithium batteries outside for the transmitter. They seemed expensive, but outlasted the weather station (two years). Bought the second one, used the same batteries, the unit lasted 2 years. The batteries are sitting on my work bench now, with an almost full charge. No more weather stations
    ​​​I’ll just get an outside thermometer and an indoor hygrometer, that’s all I’ve decided I need. I’m sure whatever I end up with will last longer than a weather station.
    John
    Last edited by John@Hamilton; 10-14-2019, 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Thanks Rob. Before I wired in the solar panels, I was using regular batteries and I remember it did spec a certain type of (expensive!) Battery for the cold climate.

When I decided to wire in the solar panels, I simply salvaged the panels off of some "noma" brand garden spotlights which were on sale at crappy tire. I don't know what type of batteries those came with, but I never had an issue with them. The only problem was snow build up could block the solar panels, but so long as I kept them clean I had power.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    I think there is a potential problem with batteries that are not supposed to be subjected to our cold. They have to be rechargeable if it is solar powered. Have you had any issues with your old one?

Leave a comment:

• callee
    started a topic Home Weather Station Recomendations

Home Weather Station Recomendations

Just like the stand alone GPS vs. Phone app debate we had, I'm sure there's some people who won't see the need for a home weather station, and that's fine. Personally, I like having one though. I like seeing personalised data for my own property, and I've found the forecast is usually more accurate.

I've had a number of these gadgets over the years. My current one is an Oregon scientific model. It's been good - looses the signal every so often, and I had to wire in my own solar panels to run the sensors, and my own transformer to plug in the display in the house just to avoid using a million batteries on it all - but over all it's been fine. Parts of it are starting to break down though and I think it's time to invest in a new one.

I am betting that numerous other people here are also the types to have their own home weather station, so I thought I'd see if you could offer me any recommendations?

My deal breaker requirements include having a rain fall sensor, being solar powered, and being able to show me wind chill on the display.

I am undecided on whether the outside sensor is better to be all-in-one or multiple components. My current one is multiple components, and on the one hand that seems to have just given me more pieces to repair and maintain, on the other hand I appreciated the ease with which I could add an additional temperature sensor which I placed in the shop, allowing me to be able to monitor the shop temp from the house.

so, any recommendations?

Thanks!
Working...
X