Looking for A real SUV used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for A real SUV used

+1 on getting a quad cab ram or f-150. I wouldn't go near a new Tundra. They haven't updated or really changed a thing on that truck in the last decade. A shame, really, given how great the Tacoma is.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I’m on a 48 Hour test Dr. of the 2007 Tahoe. 5.3L V8. It only has 2 Wheel Dr. with Positrac rear wheel. It was explained to me it was very similar to the police issued vehicle. It has the additional tow package. 60,200kms. It has only seen Salt/snow for its first two seasons. Third, fourth & fifth season of winter it was in Florida. The following eight seasons of winter it was stored in a heated garage for five months. The first three years it was used as a recreational camper tow vehicle. That was what it was originally purchased for. It has its original tires. All the battery sensors in the tires are gone, throwing a code. and it is throwing an airbag sensor code. It’s never been in an accident.

A truck is not what I need. My daughter has a wheelchair, that I need to be able to store in the back side. And my wife requires it to be automatic.

I really wish this came with 4 x 4, but I’m not gonna complain. Seller wants five grand. It is as clean as a whistle.

This one’s got some huge checkmarks!

It would be great to have a F350 van that has been modified for wheelchair accessibility. In the same price range.

My dodge caravan which is a 2016 I Purchased brand new four $32,000. The modifications to make it wheelchair accessible cost me an extra $18,000.

I need something that is for temporary emergencies that cover all my checkmarks. The old four-door Jeep, barely fit the wheelchair in the backside.
      Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-05-2019, 12:21 AM.
      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Be wary of used US vehicles that may have been hurricane damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeti View Post
          Be wary of used US vehicles that may have been hurricane damaged.
          Thanks, this was is a Canadian original purchased vehicle. It has not seen US soil except for in the winter’s for its first three years of Canadian winter life.

heck, shopping is not done! So long as it has six tire bolts and it is an SUV that is clean that works well, I’m in.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Consider adding passenger vans to the look at list. The prices and availability in used are not known by me. They do have a towing capacity of around 7500 pounds ??

A friend has Suburban that he is quite happy with.
            Last edited by Egon; 11-05-2019, 08:08 AM.
            Egon
            from
            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
              I’m on a 48 Hour test Dr. of the 2007 Tahoe. 5.3L V8. It only has 2 Wheel Dr.

A truck is not what I need. My daughter has a wheelchair, that I need to be able to store in the back side. And my wife requires it to be automatic.

I really wish this came with 4 x 4, but I’m not gonna complain. Seller wants five grand. It is as clean as a whistle.

I need something that is for temporary emergencies that cover all my checkmarks. The old four-door Jeep, barely fit the wheelchair in the backside.
              Based on your needs, buying this 2WD Tahoe (or any 2WD vehicle )sounds like a big compromise.

Comment

So the question I needed confirmed, is does it have a posy-track rear end or locking rear differential. Confirmation has come back, yes it does.
                The GMC Yukon, I got to test drive today, but there was an offer already put in on it conditional to financing. It is 4 x 4, but it looks rough in comparison to the Tahoe.

This is the 2007 Tahoe with 60,200 km on it. For $5000, i’m going to cross my fingers and hopefully I get more than two years out of it. I’m gonna put an offer in tomorrow with all the codes fixed and cleared.
                And certification done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5406B7A5-BB2B-40BF-8507-692B3CFF3254.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	834.4 KB ID:	1257751
                Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-05-2019, 11:58 PM.
                Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

I owned an FJ Cruiser for 12 years, its basically a Tacoma with a shortened frame. Most other stuff identical. Not one problem over the whole time besides regular maintenance stuff. Not one thing broke down on me and no rust although i did do anti rust every year.

i just traded it in for a 2019 Honda ridgeline which is a lazyboy on wheels lol. 8L/100 on a long trip from Montreal to Atlantic City where the Toyota would have gotten 14-15L/100 (it was Modified with a 3” lift and aggressive offroad tires BF Goods km2 which killed milage)

The FJ was a proper 4x4 and bounced around like crazy like all pickups do on rough terrain. The ridgeline glides over everything with no bounce, although it wont go anywhere resembling offroading the way the Toyota did and its AWD.

Today at 40yo with a young family and being less likely to go offroading im extremely satisfied with the Honda. Its beyond comfortable, with the interior room of a full size pickup and drives like the sports car of pickups. (It really does drive like an accord)

if i were twenty something again id likely have chosen the FJ, it was a blast.

I realize that neither of these are on your list but i wanted to share my experience with Toyota. It was Truly excellent, The Honda Ridgeline is a tighter version of the Honda Pilot SUV but modified to be a pickup and I recommend it whole heartedly if your ok with driving a “fake pickup”. It will tow 5000lbs all day and its payload is equal or greater than its midsize competitors at 1500 or 1600 pounds. Cheers

Edit: Hondas first Generation Ridgeline was between 2006-2014 i believe if new is not in the cards.

Exit again: so i just read this second page of this thread and realize you need a SUV or Van and not a pickup, Apologies.
                  Last edited by dwight80; 11-06-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Well the $5000 accepted with conditions that certification comes in less than $1000 or or I can purchase it as is for $4000 cash. I guess next week, I’ll be driving a new used Tahoe. I do love my Jeep Wranglers.... now, I need to learn to park this party bus.

Did I mention I’m frugal???
                    Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-06-2019, 11:55 PM.
                    Beaverfever1988, schor and Kayhan like this.
                    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Ownership was signed over today.

Some other funny things I found on the display. Total engine run hours are 1128.4 for a 60,280km vehicle. I Purchased it four thousand as is. Now I am responsible for the safety.
                      Last edited by Matt Matt; 11-09-2019, 01:56 AM.
                      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

An average of 53km/hour seems reasonable for somebody who did a lot of highway or rural driving.

Comment

Interesting. I did a Google and found that you use 60xhours to get miles and another that said use 25 to get miles. Lots of the info seems to pertain to trucks that might have a lot of idling time. Anyway it appears your number isn't crazy. The 25 number works out to 40 km/hour and which for your case would be 45136 km the 60 is about 100 km/hour which would mean continuous highway driving on a good road. Another thing that was mentioned is just what is being measured to determine the hours - simple as the ignition switch ON or something more sophisticated taking into account things like RPM?

To know if your odometer is off would require knowing the driving history of the vehicle for a start.

billh

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I know what you mean .... it's hard to know what to do. When I bought/leased my very first new truck in 1992 I bought what all my friends and customers said they were having good luck with ... Ford F150. In 1994 Ford "gave" me a new 1994 truck to finish the four year lease with and took back the '92 with no questions asked. They even added some goodies to stay out of court. In 1996 they bought back the "new" truck because it was not drivable, and neither of them had made 60,000km...!! In 2000 I bought/leased a Silverado .... I had it ten years and did the first repairs at 95,000km (tires and brakes), proving that the Ford issue was NOT the way I drive ..... how do we know? I sure don't.
                            2010 Ranger owner here: Extended cab 'sport' model 2wd, 4.0/auto/pw/pl,atc/sirius, rubber floor mat. 145K now. Purchased fall of 2010 for 19.5 plus GST from Metro Ford in YYC

This has been the BEST vehicle I've ever owned. Did the brakes at 120,000K - front factory rotors only half worn and still in spec, rears were farked. Not a single other broken part, breakdown, or other malaise. Needs some paint touchups. Couple of very minor .25cent sized rust/paint bubbles started coming up around front windshield trim that I had properly dealt with.

2 x a year oil with Mobil 1 (when it goes onsale at CTC). Planning on replacing the serpentine idlers on the engine and doing a full fluids flush/change (coolant, brakes, trans, diff) at the same time. Probably time for plugs/wires too at what will be 155K+.

Apparently the last couple of years of the 'old' Ranger are highly sought after for their reliability. I think it comes down to the engineering maturity of the vehicle platform you are on. The last of the 'old' rangers in the 2000's had no major engineering changes for a number of years and only minor revisions for reliability reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
                              Ownership was signed over today.

Some other funny things I found on the display. Total engine run hours are 1128.4 for a 60,280km vehicle. I Purchased it four thousand as is. Now I am responsible for the safety.

I have owned number of Tahoe's/Yukon's over the years, your engine run hours sound high, my last one a 2007 Yukon Denali had 255k on it and it was just over 885 run hours.

Most times around 110k to 120k the front hubs go. $650 a side plus alignment.

By 180k Alternator and Water pump. But with the number of hours on it with low KM, it might have spent a lot of time idling but not moving, which does the water pump in early for some weird reason.

It is a LS so it does not have a lot fancy stuff to go wrong, body looks in great shape.

If you have any questions about it, shoot me a message, like I said, I have just about fixed everything except motor, transmission, transfer case and exhaust system.

Glen

Comment

Did you pull a CarProof vehicle history on it?

Comment

Working...
                                X