Hamilton Woodshow experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton Woodshow experiences?

Be interested in hearing your experiences.

Note from GHWH set-up team suggests it's a cold uninsulated venue, with radiant heaters along the walls, and a tarp over the packed dirt floor. We are advised to dress warmly, and be sure of warm footwear.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Hamilton Woodshow experiences?

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
    Be interested in hearing your experiences.

Note from GHWH set-up team suggests it's a cold uninsulated venue, with radiant heaters along the walls, and a tarp over the packed dirt floor. We are advised to dress warmly, and be sure of warm footwear.

Noel
    Wow Noel, It’s not in the main building? Not sure I want to go now.

Hope you you have a great time,

Mark
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

We went, and we were very comfortable walking around not wearing a jacket.

We met a friend from Ottawa and 2 from Ancaster, had a great visit.

Regards, Rod
      beachburl likes this.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

went Thursday afternoon to enter competition pieces. Didn't like the piles of horse manure or the smell. Going back Sunday to pick up my entries but it will be a very brief visit and I'll be wearing rubber boots!. Others I've spoken to were not happy.

Comment

Eventually made it there late Sunday afternoon (son in ER from early Sunday morning).
          Nice and warm.
          Floor more comfortable to walk on than concrete.
          Lots of people.
          Good displays, and several wood sellers.
          Picked up a Rikon cleaner exterior filter from Katie at Stockroom, and some soapstone from Kilian tools.
          Thanks to Lee Valley for providing 6 lathes, lunch, aprons for GHWG, and EZ tools to 'test drive.' WE REALLY APPRECIATED THAT

Felt like a really good show to me, Gina.

Noel
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "
          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

MMMmmm I think the massive lack of posts about the Hamilton Wood Show speaks volumes. Usually there are lots of comments but not so this year. First major gripe from me was the really bad signage for the show sending us to gates that were locked and then a detour on dirt roads full of potholes to arrive in a grass parking lot with piles of horse droppings. Add to that the horse manure piled up against the back wall of the shed and you get the picture. The show itself was small. The contest entries were really down and the prize money an insult. Oh I know it says " subject to sponsorship" on the entry form when mentioning prizes so obviously something was scaring sponsors away. If Lee Valley hadn't shown up the main show area would have been half empty. Talking to vendors comments were very subdued and it seems Saturday had the best attendance but still lower than other years.
            Positive things were as Noel mentioned, Lee Valley came across big time for the GHWG. Lots of lathes for sale and nice to see Branches to Bowls and the Vicmarc lathes and chucks. I hope it was worth the trip from Calgary. I have to think this could well be the last Hamilton show and was definitely not as good as Woodstock. Toronto in February will be another test and I'm thinking its possible the shows have run their course.

Comment

Originally posted by Roundhead View Post
              ... and I'm thinking its possible the shows have run their course.
              IMO, this has happened to various things not just woodworking. My guess is that the internet which allows people to research items and opinions has reduced the benefit of going to shows to see things but hasn't completely wiped out all of the benefits. The other thing, perhaps more WWing specific, is the number of new people being attracted to the hobby. In my case, after setting up my shop and attending a few more shows it got to be "same old, same old".

billh

Comment

Of the four regulars that are WWing friends of mine 1 went this year. I haven’t missed the Hamilton show in 15 years. Sounds like a better venue needs to be found maybe the end of November.
                sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

www.sienci.com had a very good weekend there. Had tons of people that were very interested in the latest iteration of their LongMill CNC. Other than the TEGS Booth and Lee Valley I think we were the busiest in the show. We will be at the Toronto show in February once again with a new booth design and other surprises.
                  https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Its too bad that some people probably read this thread and didn't go. Looking forward to the next show. I prefer the smell of horse manure over dog crap any day :P
                    Brian @ Muir likes this.

Comment

It is my understanding from talking with a few vendors that they will be moving into the main hall next year. It is also my understanding because the organizers wanted to move to the fair grounds for some time, they had to compromise on the venue this year to be able to secure the main hall for the next several years.

Comment

I don't get this Show thing in the 21 century. When i started my ww business i sent in tear outs from magazines to get info on new machines. THEN i discovered Trade Shows, wow and wow, look at that, live and in the flesh, not a printed image, lol... Once my business grew i never had to go to Them, They came to me. There are not to many suppliers that do not have sale staff on the road that make there rounds every few weeks. In short order i knew who and what was going to be at the Shows. The "thing" was, drop around and see us / me at booth xx, daaaa, WHY ! you're hear now, lol.
                        I have always said that if you ( the seller ) can give me a deal at the show AFTER spending all that money to get there and house your staff + travel etc etc you sure a heck can sell to me Lower here in my shop for less. Throw in the internet now and we can learn more about the items then the average salesperson knows. I know of dozens of companies that were attending the shows back in the day that have dropped out and still doing a great. They just made the decision it was just not worth the expense. Add to that when they come to my shop i don't have to pay to see them lol.

Comment

I went there specifically to take a look at sienci labs CNC router. I think I might pull the plug and get that soon. there were other usual suspects as well. lot more booths selling wood than I used see at KW wood show. saw rob cosman cut dovetails again. his technique has changed ever so slightly since first time I saw him. Spoke with doug evans who was helping out at antique tools booth. I think I met him in person last while they were still running shepherd tools.

All in all, I was happy I went and will be going again.

--Rajiv
                          Greg from K/W likes this.
                          Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

As others have said, the internet and demographics are affecting wood shows.

I don't need anything for the shop, once you get to certain point you have everything you need or want.

I go to shows to socialize with my friends, and Diann and I like to look at the competition entries..

When I go I feel right at home, I'm with a bunch of grey haired guys wearing plaid shirts. That's not such a good customer base to have, we have disposable income however we don't often buy anything more than a bottle of glue, or in my case a bunch of screws.

The majority of people in southern Ontario live in cities, and those who are the same age as my kids live in apartments or condominiums. They're not getting into wood working, and in general they don't belong to clubs or participate in forums.

Regards, Rod.
                            Brian @ Muir likes this.
                            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I've never been to a wood show.

I'd love to go, but it always ends up being a matter of time and cost. I live far enough into the north that any show would require a significant commute. Significant enough that I'd have to over night it. So that means I've paid for a tank or two ot gas, a hotel room, and meals on the road, probably around $500, and I haven't even got there yet. After that, even a modest admission fee becomes another kick in the rear, and then once I get in the door, the coffers would be way too bare to actually buy anything.

But I'd still like to go, and I'll tell you why.

It's not to buy things. As I just pointed out, I couldn't do that anyways, and besides, as other have well explained, it's easier to do that on the internet now.

If wood shows were nothing more than a place to buy stuff, then we would call them wood markets, and they would have been rightfully killed by the internet a while ago.

But I think there's at least two good reasons to go to shows.

First is the people. I'd love to meet and talk with other woodworkers face to face. Knowing someone online is just not the same. I run into this all the time - I'll be out for coffee with a buddy or something, and I'll start retelling a good story of something that someone here posted, or I'll suggest an idea of how to do something, and my buddy says "oh that's a funny story, there's you hear that?" Or "that's a good idea, who did you learn that from?" And my first instinct is always to say "oh, this friend of mine" or something like that, because you interact with the same guys on forums like this for long enough, and that's how it starts to feel - like you're friends. But I never say "oh, this friend of mine" because something just seems odd about calling someone a friend when you've never actually met them. I mean, how can someone by your friend if you couldn't actually pick them out of a hole in the wall? So that's the first reason I'd love to go - to meet people and make real friendships. I guess you could call that camaraderie.

Second reason would be learning stuff. I've learned an awful lot online. I've had things explained, and then I've been able to figure it out because of that explanation. You tube tutorials are game changers. We just had a great thread where a poster named Jack showed how he made a beautiful camp knife all from scratch, blade and all, even a leather holder. When I asked how he learned all that, he said he got it all from YouTube tutorials! Amazing! So let's not deny what you can learn online. But real life is still better. Every study shows this - we learn more and retain more when we learn in real life with a real person. There's various explanations for why that is, but it simply is. Humans learn better when we are with other humans. That's why one-on-one apprenticeship has been the primary way to learn a trade for centuries. Not only do we learn better in person, but I also think at a wood show we could learn more variety. Online, I can only learn the things I think to search for. So you already have to have an inkling of what you need to know before you can learn it. Online learning is, as they say, "self-currated" . But at a wood show you could go around and see all kinds of techniques, tools, materials, and ideas being demonstrated, many of which weren't even on your radar. You can stumble on to all kinds of new ideas that you never would have known to search for online. So I guess we could call this reason education.

So camaraderie and education, that's the real thing that wood shows could offer, I think, and that's why I'm love to go.
                              Last edited by callee; 11-13-2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X