X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg from K/W
    replied
    Originally posted by Rajiv_in_KW View Post

I loved the demo. I was pondering X-Carve, but this one looks really interesting. I may just end up buying myself a birthday present
    Make a road trip and stop in and see them. Chris and Andy would love to show you around,

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied

I loved the demo. I was pondering X-Carve, but this one looks really interesting. I may just end up buying myself a birthday present
    Make a road trip and stop in and see them. Chris and Andy would love to show you around,

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    Nice to see the thread back on track.
    Thanks Rajiv.

Noel

Leave a comment:

• Rajiv_in_KW
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post

How did you like our demonstration of the Longmill CNC machine? Were you able to see the vertical orientation of it?

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Originally posted by Roundhead View Post
    I would consider Hamilton wood show to immigrant politics as going off the rails
    Well, roundhead, I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone: if you think a post is problematic, don't post to the thread, use the "report post" function and the mod team will look into it.
    Last edited by callee; 11-16-2019, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Roundhead
    replied
    I would consider Hamilton wood show to immigrant politics as going off the rails

Leave a comment:

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by Roundhead View Post
    Why has this thread been allowed to go so far off topic?
    We always allow threads to follow their own trajectory unless people go off the rails with their comments.

Regards, Rod

Leave a comment:

• Roundhead
    replied
    Why has this thread been allowed to go so far off topic?

Leave a comment:

• Greg_Hansen61
    replied
    Originally posted by Chimera View Post
    So...I might open up a big can of worms here but....This is where we need immigrants. I personally know a half dozen people from other countries that would give up everything in a heart beat to be able to come to canada to work in trades.

Right now they are building their English skills and any other useful skills in the hope of at lest getting a temporary foreign worker job.
    I couldn't agree more, and new arrivals don't necessarily arrive without skills, either. My Dad immigrated as a penniless young farmer from Denmark years ago, and the old fellow knew a thing or two.

In my travels for work I've often been hugely impressed by the quality of the woodwork done in places that are source countries for many of the immigrants and refugees that Canada has recently been accepting. Syrian marquetry is astonishingly good, just as one example. Likewise for the woodcarving in much of sub-Saharan Africa. I've been humbled by the quality, ingenuity and productivity of tiny hole-in-the-wall woodshops in Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and the Caucasus: places where necessity makes the rules. What they can produce with rudimentary tools and workspaces puts my own way of working to shame. If only a fraction of our newcomers bring that mindset and those skillsets with them, we're richer because of it.

I often think about the lovely old stone buildings and 'Early Canadian' furniture built by pioneering newcomers in the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario in the 1800s. We're so much richer for their transplanted skills and nose-to-the-grindstone mindset, and for the new skills they acquired as they built a life for their families in a new place.

Leave a comment:

• callee
    replied
    Originally posted by Chimera View Post
    So...I might open up a big can of worms here but....This is where we need immigrants. I personally know a half dozen people from other countries that would give up everything in a heart beat to be able to come to canada to work in trades.

Right now they are building their English skills and any other useful skills in the hope of at lest getting a temporary foreign worker job.
    Hoping to avoid the can of worms too, but on the one hand I think you're dead right - they need to work and we need workers. Let's get them here.

On the other hand, I know it wouldn't be that simple.

Bureaucratically, the immigration system as we have it is just astonishingly inept. Applications literally take years to process. It is mind boggling to me how the paper work can take that long. So even if all the politicians and people could agree to do it, we need an effective process for getting it done, and we just don't have it right now. (Google "phoenix pay system" to see how well the government would probably do at launching such a process). But that also brings in the other two problems:

the politicians don't agree. immigration is no longer an issue to be solved, for them, but rather it is a handy weapon to use in a political fight. For the conservatives, immigration is simply a tool they can use to show that trudeau doesn't care about our canadian heritage and wants to destroy the canada you grew up with. For the liberals, immigration is just a tool they can use to show that if you're a conservative you are secretly racist. They battle back and forth like that, weaponizing the issue, and all the politicians everywhere are too busy worrying about who is going to look like the winner in their own little rhetorical fight that they will never get around to actually addressing the issue.

But they're not alone. The people don't agree. I don't think we're as bad as our neighbours to the south, but I think canada is badly divided on this issue. As someone pointed out the other day, you could walk into any public sphere at the moment and say only the words "So, Cherry, eh?" and in the ensuing chatter you could easily conclude about every person in the room who they voted for, and likely what they think about other hot button issues like gun rights or oil sands. The bottom line, we do not have one single socially cohesive strategy for how, as a country, we should be handling immigration. Instead we have a big old can of worms, and each side thinks the others' ideas would, quite literally, be the destruction of the country.

Bottom line, it's all such a mess, I don't know how we could ever fix it. And the tragedy is that the whole time you've got men and women sitting there in other countries desperate to put food on the table who would love to come here and do an honest day's work.

Leave a comment:

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    Thanks Mark, it was great talking to you as well.

I have problems hiring contractors at work, not enough apprentices entering the trades, everyone in the trades seems to be as grey as me.

regards, Rod.

Leave a comment:

• Chimera
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mark in Burlington
    replied
    Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Yup, socialization and learning new things.

Unfortunately that probably means the end of shows, unless they become far more seminar oriented. It's very expensive for a supplier to participate in a show.

I worked at WMS a few weeks ago, I can't remember how many times commercial wood working customers mentioned to me that they can't get employees.

Strangely enough I also talked to wood working instructors at colleges who can't get enough students.

I suspect that low pay and lack of exposure to wood working at home and high schools is contributing to that..............Rod.
    It was nice to see you at the show Rod. Even worse in demand is finishers. Many out there are into retirement age. I see many companies struggling to keep and retain younger workers. I agree kids want to go into more attractive streams in school. They recently had an open house at my teenagers school for high tech learning program and over 1000 kids showed up for 100 spots.

Leave a comment:

• Rod Sheridan
    replied
    Yup, socialization and learning new things.

Unfortunately that probably means the end of shows, unless they become far more seminar oriented. It's very expensive for a supplier to participate in a show.

I worked at WMS a few weeks ago, I can't remember how many times commercial wood working customers mentioned to me that they can't get employees.

Strangely enough I also talked to wood working instructors at colleges who can't get enough students.

I suspect that low pay and lack of exposure to wood working at home and high schools is contributing to that..............Rod.

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied
    I went there specifically to take a look at sienci labs CNC router. I think I might pull the plug and get that soon. there were other usual suspects as well. lot more booths selling wood than I used see at KW wood show. saw rob cosman cut dovetails again. his technique has changed ever so slightly since first time I saw him. Spoke with doug evans who was helping out at antique tools booth. I think I met him in person last while they were still running shepherd tools.

All in all, I was happy I went and will be going again.

--Rajiv
    How did you like our demonstration of the Longmill CNC machine? Were you able to see the vertical orientation of it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X