6.7 Cummins injector pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.7 Cummins injector pump

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins diesel. Recently the high pressure fuel injection pump packed it in , 320,000 km on engine. I get it serviced at a local garage that works mostly on Diesel. They phoned the local Chrysler dealer and got quoted $8000 for a new pump or $2500 for a rebuilt. Needless to say he contacted a
    local shop that rebuilds Diesel engines and obtained a brand new one and it cost me $1500. It was a Bosch pump as was the original on the engine. I post this for the benefit of others that have the 6.7 Cummins as I know there are a couple on here that have them

Brian
    Yeti and stilson like this.
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 6.7 Cummins injector pump

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
    I have a Dodge Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins diesel. Recently the high pressure fuel injection pump packed it in , 320,000 km on engine. I get it serviced at a local garage that works mostly on Diesel. They phoned the local Chrysler dealer and got quoted $8000 for a new pump or $2500 for a rebuilt. Needless to say he contacted a
    local shop that rebuilds Diesel engines and obtained a brand new one and it cost me $1500. It was a Bosch pump as was the original on the engine. I post this for the benefit of others that have the 6.7 Cummins as I know there are a couple on here that have them

Brian
    Wow, quite a difference in price. lol.
    Will see you this week-end.
    Jacques

Comment

Brian
      to think, some will not think too look beyond their dealer for such items and/or repairs.

good you have that option, and thought to pass it on.

I recently had our transmission rebuilt after a trans line leak (corrosion, leak, low fluid, warning light was already too late)

dealer said $6k new + labour, etc... Mr transmission said they would do full rebuild $4k all in.

some people just assume the dealer knows best.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Street price is 800USD for that pump.

Comment

Brian, How often did you change the fuel filter? my 12 6.7 is about 320000 km also. Only issue was the waterpump at about 200,000

Comment

I change the fuel filter at every oil change at about 10,000 km. I use a synthetic oil and I think I might change oil to every 15,000 km. I get my transmissi9n serviced about every 100,000 . My old truck had 892,000 k and original transmission and engine.

Comment

My old truck had 892,000 k

Cheers
              Randy

Comment

I change the fuel filter at every oil change at about 10,000 km. I use a synthetic oil and I think I might change oil to every 15,000 km. I get my transmissi9n serviced about every 100,000 . My old truck had 892,000 k and original transmission and engine.
                I’ve never had a daily vehicle, over 14 years old, exceed 390,000 K.

I just got driven home from a dealership with their shuttle service. The vehicle had 150,000 km on it in one year. The driver said they sell them after one year of use. The driver said they are running 15 hours a day (from 6 AM till 9 PM and half-day Saturdays) and very rarely ever shut off.

I did some quick math while driving with my shuttle guy. I figured he was getting 35 km for every hour the car was running. This vehicle would typically get the same kilometres in 2 1/2 years that I would get in 14.
                Last edited by Matt Matt; 12-04-2019, 01:07 AM.
                For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

My 1974 BMW R90/6 had 500,000 kilometres on it when it was destroyed in a rear ender.

I had planned to keep it to a million however that didn't work out

regards, Rod.
                  Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Back in my much younger days I was a auto mechanic and in those days engines would be rebuilt rather than crate engines they use these days rebuilt in factories. Every once and a while we would get a taxi that required an engine rebuild due to high mileage. Taxis would typically get twice the mileage from a taxi engine than the family car. Cold engine starts are a killer on engines .
                    As taxis virtually ran with very few cold engine starts they would have no cylinder wear caused by the piston rings, commonly called a ring ridge. Your average car would have a significant ridge that usually resulted in cylinders being rebored.

Comment

Back in my much younger days I was a auto mechanic and in those days engines would be rebuilt rather than crate engines they use these days rebuilt in factories. Every once and a while we would get a taxi that required an engine rebuild due to high mileage. Taxis would typically get twice the mileage from a taxi engine than the family car. Cold engine starts are a killer on engines .
                      As taxis virtually ran with very few cold engine starts they would have no cylinder wear caused by the piston rings, commonly called a ring ridge. Your average car would have a significant ridge that usually resulted in cylinders being rebored.
                      Some people think I'm crazy because I use a block heater any time it's below -5 or so. Sometimes only for 45 mins if it's not really cold but certainly for much longer if it's -25. The engine starts so much easier and it's blowing heat out the vents by the time you get to the end of the driveway, even if it's frigid. I can't help but think the engine will last longer if the body doesn't rot away around it!

B
                      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Brian, I find parts from cummins cheaper than the dealer, CCV filter about 1/2 the price of dealer parts. If fuel filter is changed every 10-15k contamination is not likely the cause of a bad pump. 892,000 on a transmission is incredible. Automatic? or manual

Comment

It was automatic and was licensed for 33,000 lbs as I had and still have a goose neck trailer that has tandem duals. Hauled loads of lumber
                          across Canada.

Brian

Comment

Check out www.rockauto.com for parts. I have ordered many times, much cheaper than I can get parts at my cost. Obviously when comparing the same part number

Comment

I just ordered a spare tire lift from them. I ordered it Monday night and it was delivered by DHL onto my doorstep Wednesday afternoon. Came from warehouse near New York City. Can’t beat that for service.

Comment

Working...
                              X