Old adding machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old adding machine

Just got this puppy for my private museum, this is very heavy, just trying to put a date on this.
    Jacques Click image for larger version

Name:	old calculator.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1260889
    Beaverfever1988 likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Old adding machine

Jaques, you have a good eye for very cool old stuff. I remember the accountant at the first place I worked had a huge adding machine that wasn't even electric. It had a big old hand crank on the side that was pulled after all the appropriate buttons had been pressed. It was a relic even then, but he liked it. Those things are a marvel of mechanical engineering.

Comment

Will you be constructing the addition to your home by yourself?

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post

Noel
        I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post

Noel
          Good one, but no addition to my house.

Comment

I used one like that to help my Dad balance his small business books in the 1960s, but the machine was quite old then.

Comment

The machine is dated 1930. lol..and fully functionnal.

Comment

Jacques,

I can't give you anything on that machine other than a story. Years ago (early 1980's) I worked as an automotive machinist in a shop in Northern Ontario. The record keeping was all manual, with a "Visu-record" inventory tray, manual cash register etc. We even had a Telex machine for placing orders....old school! Anyway, in the office, our secretary had at least two machines, one like yours for checking the addition on each manual invoice that came to her from the counters, as well as a "posting" machine. She would use the adding machine to verify that the invoices were correct and if they weren't she'd attach the corrected amount to the invoice by stapling the paper copy from the adding machine to the invoice. Then she'd take the charge account cards and run them through the posting machine ... all by manual entry of course.

cheers

Comment

That is what is known as a comptometer. It is a version of an adding machine but it works differently. Notice the duplication of keys. Many years ago I worked for a company that provided temp office help. It had thousands of employees and the payroll department had a large number of ladies using these to do payroll.

Comment

I think Dennis is right, or some version of it. It looks like adding machines can be a rabbit hole of there own. Here is a couple of links I found.

Vintage Calculators Web Museum

Comptometer Web site
                    Darrin

Timber Elegance
                    My Etsy Store

Comment

Rabbit hole indeed! Those are quite the comprehensive sites on the subject!

Comment

Working...
                      X