Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billh
    replied
    NordVPN seems to have a lot of sales. Right now you can get it for $89 US for 2 years which they say is 68% off.
    You dont really need it for security purposes when working from home or have a HTTPS encrypted connection. You are safe but this assumes that no info is sent to a site in plaintext, ie, HTTPS, is not enabled for the whole session. Now days this is much less likely to happen.
    A use of the VPN has been to spoof sites into thinking you are in a different country to download material only available there. Sites like Netflix have caught on and this isn't so easy anymore.
    The real unfortunate thing which was mentioned previously is that in many places where you would want to use a VPN the WiFi won't let you.
    billh

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    Originally posted by Klein_Al77 View Post
    connecting with NordVPN https://en.vpnwelt.com/nord-vpn-review/ but, again, the price is high.
    How much?

Leave a comment:

• Klein_Al77
    replied
    So, I tried Nord VPN for iOS and I really like it but the price is pretty steep. I like how it automatically turns VPN on when connected to non-trusted networks and, likewise, does not engage when connected to trusted networks or cell data. I've tried PIA and VPN Unlimited but each of them have their own issues when connecting at coffee shops and hotels (meaning they don't work at some coffee shops and hotels). I'd have issues when leaving the WiFi and connecting back to cell data. I haven't had issues
    connecting with NordVPN https://en.vpnwelt.com/nord-vpn-review/ but, again, the price is high.

Leave a comment:

• John@Hamilton
    replied
    Lots of information here. Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    No comment on which browser but I use Chrome mostly but not always. Others are IE, Edge, I don't use any of the lesser known ones.

VPN is needed (IMO) if you want to browse privately in places like coffee shops, airports, malls etc that have open WiFi and you do not have a HTTPS secure connection. Not sure of the situation now but years ago HTTPS was only activated once you logged into somes site so your credentials went in plaintext to these. In this case a VPN would be good. A VPN isn't needed for home use as long as you have your wireless encrypted.
    Spoofing your location for streaming services like Netflix is a lot harder to do now since they take active measures against such things but it isn't impossible to do.

billh

Leave a comment:

• Background
    replied
    Hello everyone! I am interested in how vpn is important for Internet security at all now and which Google Chrome alternative to choose? I read this article What browser is more effective?

Leave a comment:

• jasonbagley
    replied
    Hi everyone, I never had a situation where I need a VPN or any other software to do internet activities, but since I am planning to travel in December to the United Kingdom (London). Therefore, I am reading conversations where people have shared their experience with VPN. Can anyone have experience of accessing Netflix outside Canada? because after reading different options I am a bit confuse that which option to go with?

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyMike
    replied
    I use Nordvpn on everything, and what I mean by everything, the number one use is my Fire Stick for streaming on TV... We kissed cable and Satellite to the corner... But that's another topic. Anyhow like I said, we use VPN for our television, computers and cell phones... Too many people are watching what we do these days, so if I can make it a little tougher on them, I will do...

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsForFingers View Post
    Is the cafe packet sniffing as much of an issue now that most sites use ssl?
    I don't think so but you have to ensure that you do have a https connection before you enter any sensitive data. I used to see some that weren't secure until after you logged in and that meant your password was exposed.
    As I mentioned previously, there are places offering wifi access that some or all VPNs can't connect but you may be able to work around it by selecting different port numbers.
    billh

Leave a comment:

• Mike in Waubaushene
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
    Does website encryption not provide some level of security?
    I use all Apple. This is what they say:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...13.0/mac/10.15

How do apps Android or IOS handle this?

Don
    Your device is only as secure (for wifi purposes) as the router it’s connecting to. When you connect to an unsecured wifi your iOS device tells you so. That is the protection you’re getting from Apple. A written warning. Anyone else on that wifi that is knowledgeable on the how to, could worm his way right back into someone else on the same connection. A VPN provides the lock for the back door

the link you provided only refers to malicious websites, not malicious a$$holes sitting across the room from you.
    Last edited by Mike in Waubaushene; 01-19-2020, 06:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike in Waubaushene
    replied
    I have Express VPN. First payment is $99US for 15 months, auto renews for $99US for 12 months. This allows you to set it up on 5 devices, phones, tablets, smart TVs, PCs. If you have the correct router (I don’t) it can be set up with their firmware hack to do everything in the house. I have it for 2 reasons. I’m leery of public wifi in hotels and other places we tend to frequent. The main reason is getting US tv content. I subscribe to US Amazon Prime for shopping, but they they also have an excellent streaming service. Lots of original stuff that I see ending up on Crave up here. Thru Amazon, I subscribe to Showtime one month a year and binge watch a year’s worth of 3 shows I’m interested in. I also have Netflix US. It’s true, that my US account allows me to watch Canadian content up here, but, it’s not the same. Both US and Canada Netflix overlap about 90% of content. I know this because, occasionally i do a 1 month sub to Netflix up here just to see. There are shows (more recently in theatre) that Canadian holders rights have not expired yet.
    Disclaimer... I have a US credit card for payment to these providers. For anyone up here wanting Amazon Prime, you need the US credit card and a US address for shipment of merchandise. So that one would be a non starter.

One other thing.. if a person is viewing copyrighted stuff illegally over a android box using Kodi or other services, that hobby leads any legal action right back to your IP address, so a VPN is a must. I’ve tried setting up an Amazon Firestick (it’s Android) for that purpose, and I succeeded, but it’s too flaky for me.
    Last edited by Mike in Waubaushene; 01-19-2020, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rootsForFingers
    replied
    Is the cafe packet sniffing as much of an issue now that most sites use ssl?

Leave a comment:

• Don Burch
    replied
    Does website encryption not provide some level of security?
    I use all Apple. This is what they say:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...13.0/mac/10.15

How do apps Android or IOS handle this?

Don

Leave a comment:

• schor
    replied
    Originally posted by eavesandspouts View Post

There are many other reasons to use VPN. The main one being is PRIVACY. Your ISP is spying on you, they track your every keystroke...
    One other reason people should use VPN is for Streaming Services, Streaming movies at HOME? They track and block, track and block those IPs!
    There are many FREE streams that require a USA IP? with VPN you can connect to a USA IP and watch all those channels for FREE!!!

So connecting to a private network is not the main reason for a VPN anymore at all!!!
    Good point and one I really don't think about.

I don't watch much tv or stream things other than youtube or other sources.. I don't even have a tv in my house. I look up things on the web and probably do more reading of things than I do watching things.

Leave a comment:

• eavesandspouts
    replied
    Originally posted by schor View Post
    Main question is why do you think you need a vpn? Are you accessing another private network over the internet? If not then you probably do not need one.
    There are many other reasons to use VPN. The main one being is PRIVACY. Your ISP is spying on you, they track your every keystroke...
    One other reason people should use VPN is for Streaming Services, Streaming movies at HOME? They track and block, track and block those IPs!
    There are many FREE streams that require a USA IP? with VPN you can connect to a USA IP and watch all those channels for FREE!!!

So connecting to a private network is not the main reason for a VPN anymore at all!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X