Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	1270577Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	1270580 OK I ordered a new gouge from Dway tools in Washington USA. I figured out total Can price including possible HST and much to my surprise Can Post wanted more! So when I questioned it at the PO I was shown this CBSA Postal Import Form. Note the item circled in red. It seems as though Mr T has started up a razor blade fund
    On the reverse side of the form is this little gem telling us it's all down to Canada Post and using Express Mail Service?
    Last edited by Roundhead; 02-13-2020, 12:21 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: BEWARE! Can Customs money grab!

This is not new.

There has always been HST payable on the CDN value of imported personal use items that are bought out of country. There has also always been a handling charge for clearing customs. Canada Post used to charge $5, but that was decades ago, so if it's gone up ... I'm not surprised.

Comment

The fee has been 10$ for a few years now but still many packages come in free. With UPS the minimum was 20$ + 5$ COD and not one single package escapes them.

Comment

I'm not surprised at all and like iamtooler says, it has been collected for years. If the value is fairly low, I think if about $20 or less then it is ignored. I believe I've had some come in over $20 with nothing asked for.
        billh

Comment

They are out to get you Peter.
          John
          If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

It must be small consolation, Pete, that others have experienced the same.
            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

They have to receive the parcel, determine the classification ("glassware ?), assess any duty, prepare the form... I'd rather pay $10 to Canada Post than multiples of this to a courier's "broker".
              John@Hamilton, billh and jaywood1207 like this.

Comment

It's been years, but I had a purchase come over from the US and the seller kindly labelled it "Warantee replacement parts". Solved all those problems.
                More stuff of mine at:
                http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

this is why I have a postal box in the US.
                  Jerome
                  Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                  Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

$10 Canada post customs brokerage fee is cheap! Be happy your supplier did not use another shipper that charges $50. !

Comment

Wow! I have never ever paid tax or handling fees on anything shipped using USPS/Can Post.Even stuff up in the $200 range. I also ship to my US mailbox if I have time to go pick it up but having it delivered to my door has always been more convenient. So I guess I'm going to be doing a few more border crossings.

Comment

As the others have said, this has been common practice for years. It would have been a lot higher had they used a broker/courier service. I've done over 750 Ebay and other transactions across the border and trust me, USPS/Can post is the cheapest possible shipping method.
                        Learning something new every day.

Comment

Like others I've been charged a small fee on a rare occasion when the declared value was over $100. I do believe that even if marked as a gift there can be charges assessed.

Paul

http://users.vianet.ca/pmsmith/index.html

Comment

I have also found it to be hit or miss, whether I got hit with taxes or not. I have noticed that if it is shipped to my business name, then there is no hit or miss, its tax every time.
                            Darrin

Timber Elegance
                            My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by EFZauner View Post
                              $10 Canada post customs brokerage fee is cheap! Be happy your supplier did not use another shipper that charges $50. !
                              UPS Ground is the worst in my experience. Utterly extortionate.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X