telephone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telephone

Please amend your phone book, my new number is: two long rings and one short ring. lol.. I beleive this is a 1920 phone, all the guts still there.
    Love it
    Jacques
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: telephone

Pictures not showing

Comment

Here you go Click image for larger version

Name:	old telephone 2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1273216Click image for larger version

Name:	old telephone 1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	1273217
      Beaverfever1988, WCraig and 3 others like this.

Comment

Our ring was 2 long and 2 short. I am sure there are many here don' know what that means.
        Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Ours was one long and a short.
          When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Ours was 3 long. Our party line had 14 homes on it. There wasn't too many secrets in our area. We kids would all get on the line at a predetermined time to do our homework. If one kid had a wrong answer at school the next day, we all did.
            Bryan @ Woodstock likes this.
            This wood is all clear between the knots.

Comment

One long and 2 shorts. We also had a couple of large No.6(??) dry cells on the floor wired to the phone. I presume these were for the carbon microphone.
              billh

Comment

Our phone number on the farm around 70 years ago was 45-21. I guess the 45 represented the line number to the central operator, and the 21 meant 2 short rings followed by 1 longer ring. For those not familiar, for every house on line 45, everyone's ring came into all houses on the line, whether yours or not. Your house was identified by the number of long/short ring combinations, e.g. 45-12 was probably 1 short followed by 2 longs, or other combinations as mentioned above. When someone else's ring came through on your phone, you could pick up the receiver and listen to their conversion, or as Murray mentioned, there weren't many secrets in the community.

...Wayne

Comment

Two questions:
                  -are you going to be restoring that old phone? (I suspect yes)
                  -do I need to dial "1" first if I'm calling you from B.C.?

Comment

About privacy, when my brother lived in Thedford On. they had a party line phone, so as my brother phoned his wife, they would speak Dutch, well there were some nasty remarks from those that tried to listen in .

Same thing if they would phone some of their Dutch friends

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Kayak Jim View Post
                      Two questions:
                      -are you going to be restoring that old phone? (I suspect yes)
                      -do I need to dial "1" first if I'm calling you from B.C.?
                      Lol. nope, no restoration, just clean it up a bit, I am afraid I might ruin it if I try to restore it, the wood is so nice just the way it is. I might with the help of a friend of mine try to get the rigger working , I already have two old black rotary phone (working) in two of my shops and in the main shop I have a normal wire less phone. This one will go in the shop I made out of barn wood next to a Jardine No 00 post drill press made in 1827 I beleive.
                      Jacques

Comment

Where I grew up in a mining camp in the Kootenays of British Columbia, there were a couple of phones like that. One ended up at our 2 room school where the grade 4 - 6 teacher showed us how to turn the crank and generate enough electricity to light up a small light bulb. Seeing your phone brings back many fond memories.

Comment

Working...
                        X