Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kijiji - is it pretty much useless for area focused searches now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kijiji - is it pretty much useless for area focused searches now?

Lately I've pretty much given up on Kijiji. I have tried to figure out how to narrow searches to a particular geographic area, but Kijiji seems determined to fill their search results with paid sales ads from all over.

For example, I just did a search for "band+saw" in Kijiji Timmins. I got 26 results, but only one was from Timmins and the rest were commercial sellers listed as being in "Canada".....

Talk about useless.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Kijiji - is it pretty much useless for area focused searches now?

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
    Lately I've pretty much given up on Kijiji. I have tried to figure out how to narrow searches to a particular geographic area, but Kijiji seems determined to fill their search results with paid sales ads from all over.

For example, I just did a search for "band+saw" in Kijiji Timmins. I got 26 results, but only one was from Timmins and the rest were commercial sellers listed as being in "Canada".....

Talk about useless.
    Same here. Those ads are do annoying that I now use Marketplace though I don’t have or want a facebook account. I hijack my partner’s.

Comment

I've noticed a similar thing on amazon lately. You'll search for something specific, and the first page will have a significant number of "sponsored results" that are only somewhat related to your specific search string. The actual (I.e. non-sponsored) results will still accurately reflect your search terms, but it's like they lower the accuracy bar for the paid results they want to include.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Talk about useless.
        I just did the same search for my area (Sudbury + 170km) with the same results; 3 local ads plus a bunch of paid ads. I guess I'm not too observant or more tolerant or something but I simply read the first few local results and ignore the rest. How hard is that?
        I continue to get good results from kijiji locally. I'm not ready to write it off just yet. By subscribing to their notification feature, I have had the best results. I get an email each day with any new listings. A quick check of those is all it takes and they don't include the paid ads. Just above the first ad there is a "notify me ...." button. Try it; it works!
        Last edited by smallerstick; 03-09-2020, 04:06 PM.
        The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I use Kijiji a lot (I just scored some vintage Aramith snooker balls that were NIB for less than half price). But I agree. Kijiji has succumbed to ad revenue from companies and the resulting clutter is annoying.
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

I noticed today that the km range stretcher appears to be gone.

Comment

That's the cost of free classified ads...
              Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

I have advertised on both Kijiji and Marketplace recently, Marketplace resulted in 10 x the views and both sales. I agree, It's hard to find a private seller now on Kjijii with all of the commercial ads. Sometimes I think the local facebook groups might be a better choice as thy are primarily a local audience.

Comment

The way I do this is by choosing all of Ontario, and then you get a list on the side that shows what’s for sale where, klick on any of these areas that would be of use for me to drive to.

Like for Bandsaw I get this. 114 bandsaws offered 122 if wanted adds are included in the total, like here 15 in the Kitchener area and 13 in Ottawa/Gatineau, and 34 in Toronto GTA, etc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KIJIJI adds.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.8 KB ID:	1273761
                  Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-09-2020, 07:36 PM.
                  stilson likes this.

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                    The way I do this is by choosing all of Ontario, and then you get a list on the side that shows what’s for sale where, klick on any of these areas that would be of use for me to drive to.

Like for Bandsaw I get this. 114 bandsaws offered 122 if wanted adds are included in the total, like here 15 in the Kitchener area and 13 in Ottawa/Gatineau, and 34 in Toronto GTA, etc.
                    Nicely done Leo. That's a great tip !! It's too bad we have to do it, but it works.

Comment

we've listed a vehicle and two travel trailers in the last 5 years, both on kijiji and facebook marketplace.

all three sold on fb before the first response from kijiji, we also found our present trailer on fb

ive pretty finished with kijiji, too many commercial ads that are all basically the same
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

I've never liked Kijiji compared to Craigslist. Not only is it full of advertising but it appears the sellers seem to think they need to describe what they are selling in 10 words or less. What do you think of Craigslist?

Comment

I use to how you could switch cities. So if I am traveling to a certain area I could pull up the listings. I often use the Ontario search often for specialized items to see if anything is out there.
                          smallerstick likes this.
                          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

I let about 60 searches expire a couple of months ago but plan to reactivate them in a while. Many of them search all of Canada. it does appear that showing distance from home is not available now? I live right on the Ontario border so now I will have to run a separate search for each?

Comment

Search radius still works. At least, this is how I do it. I'm signed into Kijiji as I sell there from time to time. I type in the search term, say, "surface grinder". Kijiji remembers my location as it is set in my profile and (as I recall) defaults to the local listings. However, click on the address shown (at the top of the screen, next to the magnifying glass icon) and it brings up a map centered on your location and with a slider to adjust the travel radius. All your future searches will use setting until you change it.

There may be a similar procedure for searching while not logged into Kijiji.

HTH,

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X