Covid 19 Lets all stop being stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid 19 Lets all stop being stupid

This virus is making people stupid and bringing out the worst in people. I went shopping yesterday and some shelves were empty but of stupid things like water the taps will still work so why do you need 4 cases of water? and whats with toilet paper just how many rolls do you need?
    I was at the airport last weekend picking up my son and there was a family also waiting 4 adults and 2 little kids 3 of the adults were wearing masks but not properly but the kids were running around touching everything and the ones with the masks keep touching them and there faces so the masks were basically wasted, and according to WHO are not needed if you don't have the virus.
    I can hardly wait until this is over.
    jasonbagley, Matt Matt and 3 others like this.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Covid 19 Lets all stop being stupid

If I were of that mindset, I’d be worrying about what goes in my mouth, not what’s coming out of my a$$
    Redneck Albertan likes this.

Comment

Good post Jerome. And equally good statement of the issue. The post dealing with Corona highlighted some of the same underlying factors/behaviour (sprinkled with a good humorous touch).

Maybe part of the cause is the apparent inability of many people to observe, analyse and interpret facts. The toilet paper issue is a good example.

It would appear that a lot of people do not stop to analyse their needs and the impact of their decisions. What are people going to do with 100 rolls of toilet paper over a couple weeks? At the same time what am I supposed to do when the time comes for purchasing my regular supply of such « highly sought paper »?

Will people who have unnecessarily stockpiled supplies bring them back to the store or offer them to others who have been faced with empty shelves? I would be pleased - and extremely surprised - if the answer was yes.

The culture of the instantaneous and the over supply of dubious sources of information to the detriment of useful collection of facts and sound analysis of said facts are probably important components of the current state of affairs. As an example, why is it that people decide to change their plans when the weather forecasts call for 20% probability (keep in mind that the word is probability) of rain? Why is it not viewed as a high probability of good weather?

Well, I guess I am done with my rant and like you wonder what the solution is for enticing people to think and act in what I consider - I am biased - a more logical (and socially conscious) way.

Regards,

J.

Comment

It was grocery shopping day yesterday and the shelves at the supermarket looked like the store had been looted.

Fortunately I was in picking up meat, vegetables fruit and a couple of spices.

I have no idea why some people had a buggy full of bottled water, maybe their house has no plumbing?

I’m now working from home for 3 weeks as the company heads into emergency mode....Rod
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post

The culture of the instantaneous and the over supply of dubious sources of information to the detriment of useful collection of facts and sound analysis of said facts are probably important components of the current state of affairs. As an example, why is it that people decide to change their plans when the weather forecasts call for 20% probability (keep in mind that the word is probability) of rain? Why is it not viewed as a high probability of good weather?
          I think that people are not yet accustomed to having so much information available, so they have not yet learned how to sift, sort and grade it. In the old days (30+ years ago ) the information we rec'd was either via the printed press, radio/tv or word of mouth. Printed press was usually pretty good and word of mouth was usually people we knew. Radio and TV were not the anonymous deliverers of dubious information that the web has become and none of them supplied the volume of (mis)information that the web delivers. Doing research to S, S, & G, is not something that most people are familiar with .... they just don't know how.

As far as the percentages of good/bad and specifically the weather, I have always believed that people find it easier and more comforting to believe that bad will happen than good. That way when it turns out that they were wrong, it's a happy event .....

Comment

The development of science based public health programs has extended and improved the lives of humanity more than any other development in history. That's not disputable.

Keep it in mind when deciding where to get your health advice.
            Coop42, Brian @ Muir and 2 others like this.

Comment

Although it seems this situation has brought out the worst in people,I'm hoping as things develop it also brings out the best in people.
              as far as grocery shopping , I have tried to maintain my normal patterns,usually buy small quantities of fresh produce at a nearby market. So far no noticeable differance,perhaps less shoppers,people don't seem to be buying fresh fruits and veggies.i had to go to a larger store for kefier, I consume a couple litters a week.No one seems to be buying it either,although it's extreamly good for the immune system.i will say,although the store was full of somewhat crazed shoppers,I was pretty much alone in the express lane with my handful of items.

Comment

Just got back from Buffalo where we do a shopping about once a month just to pick up some cheese and other things we can't get here, it even worse for empty shelves and they are rationing what you can buy to two items of each. they have even broken down the family packs to singles. The only good thing is they haven't raised prices but that may be coming.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                  The only good thing is they haven't raised prices but that may be coming.
                  That was in Buffalo, NY. President Trump has declared a state of emergency. If I understand it correctly, that declaration essentially makes price hikes without gov't permission illegal. (not sure of the actual wording)

Comment

Went to our local pharmacy the other day and they now keep the hand sanitizer behind the counter...

I feel that as woodworkers, many of us are very well equipped to troll the public. We can begin walking around town with our most effective dust protection systems on. Double points if you wear a Trend battery powered respirator to Costco

Comment

I kinda laugh at the toilet paper situation, but what was a little concerning...baby formula for our 4 month old grandson. My son in law had quite a time yesterday finding the proper brand...he finally did locate some after being out for a few hours and going to a number of stores...

Comment

I hope there are not a lot of people like these jerks!
                        https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ofit-1.5496733
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

just noticed on Yahoo a husband and wife in Vancouver loading up there pickup bed with bundles of Lysol Wipes and claim to have made $100,000.00, Jacques i don't think he had any intentions of helping out his fellow man.

Comment

Gotta go fix the flour bagging equipment at the spice shop. The son says they're running out of lentils ...

Comment

Some of the 'stupid' is fear-based, which I'd consider forgivable. Some of it is greed-based, which is less so. Welcome to the human race. We're lucky to live in a country with a relatively well-functioning health system and good governance. As Bender says above, we have access to good science and reliable (if still incomplete) information. Not everyone has those things, and some of us that do are still at a disadvantage because of a recent inclination to see everything through a toxic prism of politics.

We're all seeing this pandemic unfold from our own vantage points. What we are not seeing much of in the Canadian or American news is how this threatens the lives of people where functioning health systems and good governance are pipe dreams. Outbreaks among dense concentrations of people who've been displaced by war or natural disaster will be near-impossible to contain and, experience shows, mortality rates will be *much* higher than in stable places. Northwest Syria, Yemen, eastern Congo and Bangladesh (just to name a few) have dense concentrations of millions of people living rough. Respiratory problems are very common in those situations, leaving people even more vulnerable to new infections like Covid-19. The WHO and MSF websites have good info and descriptions about how they're trying to bracket the problem, but they're anticipating an immense humanitarian disaster overlaid on multiple smaller ones. Disease loves war.

In our part of the world some of us will be 'too cool' to admit to fear and that'll prevent us from taking responsible, rational steps to adapt to a new threat. Others, out of fear, will react in ways that seem silly (like buying toilet paper by the cart-load or building a bunker). Stupid? Maybe. But if it makes those people feel better for a few hours, hey, have at it.

Others will act out of altruism or plain old professionalism. Those are the stories most worth listening to these days, IMO.

Just my .02 cents...

Comment

Working...
                              X