Table lamp base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table lamp base

I am looking for a greene & greene, arts and crafts, or prairie table lamp base plan. If you know where of any decent plans can be purchased or if you have something you're willing to share I would appreciate it if you could drop me a line. It might very well become my covid project. Thanks

Have a good day and play safe!!!!!!!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table lamp base

I have lots of Greene and Greene books the few that I found quickly had no lamp plans in them, I also have lots of Stickley's Arts and Crafts plan material but no lamp plans that I could find quickly. I did a search on my computer based volumes and found an EPUB titled "Easy To Make Arts And Crafts Lamps And Shades". It was published by Popular Mechanics in 1911 and Dover Publications did a reprint in 2005. You may still be able to find it on line or in the used market. There are three table lamp plans in the book, below is the plan for one. If from the pictures on the cover you would like some of the others I can post one of them also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Arts And Crafts Lamp.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1274352

Name:	Arts And Crafts Lamp 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	525.5 KB
ID:	1274353
    beachburl likes this.

Comment

Neither of these has a plan for a Greene & Greene lamp but the info on the trademark G&G details is really good. I'm sure I've seen a plan for a G&G lamp in one of my other books though -- will keep looking.

Comment

Thanks for the reply greg. I have both of these books and several others but it seems that there is very little out there other than the photos. Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf.

Comment

Thanks Carlos for your reply. A friend loaned me his copy of this book. I really didn't see anything of interest in it. I did locate the book on amazon.ca. Thanks for your efforts on my behalf. Continuing my hunt

Comment

So I had another look around found a couple more books with Greene & Greene designs but no lamps. In the process I came across this book.

Name:	Lamps 1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1274529Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamps 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1274530

This was published in 2011 by Popular Woodworking Books, authored and designs by Ken Burton. Ken is the first to tell you that he is an over educated woodworker with numerous woodworking technology degrees such as Master of Fine Arts in Woodworking and Furniture Design from the School for American Crafts at the Rochester Institute of Technology. The 24 designs in this book are all designed by Ken but it is not hard to see the influence that the "Arts and Crafts" movement had on his design ideas, some very nice work here and the great plans include many pictures of machine tool setups and tips and tricks to help you produce some outstanding lamp designs. I am sure this is still available on Amazon.

Name:	Lamps 3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	1274531

Comment

Once again carlos thank for your efforts but I have this book also. I have searched the online indices for several of the woodworking magazines but haven't found anything out there. It would appear I have found a void in arts and crafts content. .....LAMPS!!!! argh................

thanks

Comment

I borrowed this book: Greene & Greene Furniture: Poems of Wood & Light

it might contain some material of interest to you. I NEED to add it to my library!

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by yogibear View Post
                  I am looking for a greene & greene, arts and crafts, or prairie table lamp base plan. If you know where of any decent plans can be purchased or if you have something you're willing to share I would appreciate it if you could drop me a line. It might very well become my covid project. Thanks
                  PM me your email address please.....Rod
                  Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thanks Ken I'll have to keep an eye out for it once we get the all clear to go out and about again. I'm not familiar either the author or book.

Comment

rod sent you a pm

Comment

Here is the cover of "Greene & Greene Furniture: Poems of Wood & Light".

Name:	Greene & Greene Furniture - Poems Of Wood And Light.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1274885

As with most Greene & Greene books you will not find plans for lamps or any other type of work for that matter. Occasionally you will find original designs of the plans, but something unique to Greene and Greene, they were mostly just for dimension and shape. Much of the exquisite joinery and detail that makes a Greene & Greene a Greene & Greene was not included in the design drawings, they were done on the shop floor under the direction of the hands on brothers.

A very interesting book but like most Greene & Greene books no actual plans, lots of beautiful pictures. Of course there are a number of books where modern woodworkers are making there versions of there exquisite furniture and home reproductions but I haven't seen a lamp yet. If you check out the FWW magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine I seem to remember plans for some reproductions there.

The book is still available everywhere, Amazon, Chapters, E-Bay etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X