Sketchup, Sketchup, Sketchup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup, Sketchup, Sketchup

OK I didn't give up but boy it's pretty frustrating. I was trying to follow the tutorials and didn't realise that some of the templates that other people provide are not fully functional:(
    Anyway it's taken me about 6 hours to come this far so now I need help
    Here's a design for a candlestick/tealight holder. It's pretty crude but kinda shows what I'm after. So the question is how can I give the cones wall thickness? It seems the offset and push/pull functions don't work on curved surfaces. Is there a way to do it and still cut the cone in a vertical plane?
    Attached Files

Re: Sketchup, Sketchup, Sketchup

First of all, I really like that design. Should be nice when you get it done.

As for sketchup, I spent days working with it and managed to draw a box so you're well ahead of me.
    I guess I'm just sketchup challenged. :(
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Easier than you think......make a cone, copy it, scale the copy so that it's 90% or whatever of the first one, move it inside the first one and remove the excess. You are left with the outer shell of the bigger cone. Much easier to draw than to build it !!
      Paul

Comment

Pete,
        Here are some tutorials on making a cone that I googled.

But after reading Paul's response I'm puzzled... Are you trying to make a half cone -- which is what I first thought Or are you trying to make a hollow cone, as Paul seemed to think?
        It's not about you.

Comment

Maybe a little more detail...If you want half of a thinkened shell cone just draw some verticals on your shell and erase the portion between the lines. It could be half, 2/3's or whatever and it can be on an angle too, does not have to be plumb.
          Paul

Comment

Very quick, but you get the idea. If you take your time the ends will close, cones will be parallel etc.
            Attached Files
            Paul

Comment

I have to say that I love SU and use it all the time - I'm not that great at it but I find it a very powerful tool that IMO is worth persevering with.

I do agree however that its curve capability is limited unless you a real pro with it and it can be very frustrataing when it dawns on you that things like push/ pull don't work on curved surfaces.
              Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Comment

Wow! Great help!

Art, I was trying to make 2 hollow partial cones with one reversed and centred on the other as per my crude post.

Paul, thanks now I will have to go back and start again as this will work and give me a better idea of proportions and where the cuts have to be madeduring turning. Also I should be able to figure out how to fit a hemisphere inside a cone without it breaking through.
                You guys are great. Thanks a lot

Comment

Finished Design

Well I finally got to see something in 3D that has been in my head for a while. Now I guess the test will come when I start up the lathe.
                  Thanks for all the help.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pete in Welland View Post
                    Also I should be able to figure out how to fit a hemisphere inside a cone without it breaking through.
                    Does that mean you will be turning the cup separately.
                    I was thinking it would be neat to try and turn it off center so the cup and the top cone are one piece.
                    But I'm a glutton for punishment at times.
                    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
                    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. Rap View Post
                      Does that mean you will be turning the cup separately.
                      I was thinking it would be neat to try and turn it off center so the cup and the top cone are one piece.
                      But I'm a glutton for punishment at times.
                      I hadn't thought it through that far, but I guess it could be done all in one piece with a lot of carving at the back of the bowl. I was thinking using 2 different woods, so then the bowl would be turned on it's own. Even having a 3D model to explore I can't really picture the blends of the 2 cone surfaces where they come together. It all looks very nice in the drawing, but reality tells me when the piece is turned it won't happen like that. I think the top cone will have to be turned at least 1/4" off centre to the bottom one.
                      Anyway first I have to sort out some wood

Comment

Working...
                      X