Huge auction of old stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge auction of old stuff

Here is a link to an auction of collectors items that many of can drool over Shackelton Auctions [[email protected]]
    I have no connection to the auction or anything in it unfortunately
    https://shackeltonauctions.hibid.com...day--sept--21/
    Last edited by Bob just past Ayr; 09-20-2020, 06:15 PM. Reason: added the correct link
    Bob just past Ayr
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Huge auction of old stuff

Holey Moley.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

The barn beam boring machines are still at a good price. I recently sold one for 350

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I'm impressed by the offerings but doubly impressed by the way the auction company has prepared the sale, with everything carefully photographed and described, and good website layout for browsing and bidding. I guess they've figured out that this is the way to optimize return for the estate and for themselves in Covid-19 times. But still, not all auction companies or estate liquidators would go to this much care and trouble to earn their buyers' premium and commission. It would be far more typical, for example, for an auctioneer to toss all those brass oilers in a box, take one grainy photo, and sell them as a lot. Nice for a buyer willing to roll the dice, maybe, but I think the extra care they've taken attracts a more discriminating buyer who's probably quite willing to pay a higher price while being assured of an item's value when bidding at a distance. Smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_Hansen61 View Post
          Thanks for posting that. I'm impressed by the offerings but doubly impressed by the way the auction company has prepared the sale, with everything carefully photographed and described, and good website layout for browsing and bidding. I guess they've figured out that this is the way to optimize return for the estate and for themselves in Covid-19 times. But still, not all auction companies or estate liquidators would go to this much care and trouble to earn their buyers' premium and commission. It would be far more typical, for example, for an auctioneer to toss all those brass oilers in a box, take one grainy photo, and sell them as a lot. Nice for a buyer willing to roll the dice, maybe, but I think the extra care they've taken attracts a more discriminating buyer who's probably quite willing to pay a higher price while being assured of an item's value when bidding at a distance. Smart.
          I completely agree and not only are the items individually photographed, but many have multiple images. Very professional!

Comment

Yes they are very professional. But any item they sell under $50. They get 35%. And anything over $50. They get 25%. A few weeks ago their buyers premium was 10% and if you paid by credit card they charged a premium of 3%. Now they have eliminated the credit card charge of 3% and increased the buyers premium for everyone to 15%. So now everyone pays 5% more. They can afford to take the extra photos

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I know a lot of auctioneers personally and they cannot believe how much extra work it is for them, especially having to preview the items for a week or two. I have found the prices realized to be WAY WAY higher than normal farm auction prices for the same items.

Comment

Have never been to an auction since approx, 1954, so how much do I actually pay for items of $10, $100, $1000 hammer prices? And how much of the total from my pocket actually goes to the previous owner? Roy
                Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Working...
                X