Tilt top desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt top desk

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210417_090735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	1326721 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210417_090710.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	1326722
    Been a while since I have made anything. After the covid lay off, I managed to find another position, so my shop time has suffered.

My grand son wants a tilt top desk, that is, the writing surface has to tilt up from the front. I used a plastic, adjustable table 24 by 48 inches for the base, added some pine strips along the length that I screwed fast to the metal framing of the table. Made the writing surface from a sheet of plywood 24 by 48 inches, then added a piano hinge to the front edge. No finish applied yet, but that will likely happen today.

My issue is how to hold it up at say a 15, 30 and 45 degree angles. I have thought about several props of different lengths fastened with hinges to the table below, These would lay down when he wants the surface flat. Would the prop solution work. Perhaps on the lid, I should drill a shallow hole and then put a pin on the prop so it does not slip.

If anyone has a solution that might work, please let me know. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Steve from Chester NS
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Tilt top desk

Perhaps a scissors type jack if it could be made to fit.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks Egon. I found a few suggestions on google, but not sure if I can fabricate what I need..
      Steve from Chester NS

Comment

Would something like this work?
        Ratchet Folding Brackets

Item 00T0415, 245mm Ratchet Folding Bracket $10.70 at Lee Valley.

Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Thanks Stuart, something like that just might work. I will see what else Lee Valley has
          Steve from Chester NS

Comment

That looks like "bingo" to me.
            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X