Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econoline vans

Good day,
    Is it just me, or is the front axle or front-wheel base of modern Econoline vans wider than the rear wheel-base width?

When I follow these vans on the highway it seems to me the front tires and the rear ones never line up. Or, maybe noone does alignments on their econline vans!
    Cheers
    Rick

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

-------
    Cheers,
    --Rick
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Econoline vans

Your query made me curious, so I went to researching.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...4x4-25699.html
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-the-rear.html

According to what I read (threads linked above):
    Plenty of vehicles have wider front vs rear ends - it's a handling thing
    E-series Fords are 2-3" wider in the front than the rear.

Nope, I've personally never noticed, but yep, it seems what you think you saw is in fact correct

Comment

Thanks for those links -- for sure seems to be common. Seems to me more pronounced on the E vans though.

I'm not seeing things. Lol!
      Cheers
      Rick

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

KenL and ThePracticalPeasant like this.
      -------
      Cheers,
      --Rick

Comment

Way back in the 50's we had a garage customer with a big Nash sedan. He said it had different track widths front and back which was good but made going through mud difficult. No idea if he was right.
        billh

Comment

I had Renault cars back in the 1970 and one front wheel was further forward than the other this had something to do with the torsion bar suspension, maybe that is common too??

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
            I had Renault cars back in the 1970 and one front wheel was further forward than the other this had something to do with the torsion bar suspension, maybe that is common too??
            We had e few Renault cars in that time like the Renault 4CV, it had the engine in the back, a very reliable little 4 door transportation, the front dor opened up from the front, so-called suicide doors. the one that replaced it was the Dianne IIRC, my cousin had one and they needed weight in the front to keep it tracking straight as it was too light at the front end

We also had a Renault Fregatte, a larger Renault with some special suspension to compete with Citroen from that time as it was the winner in cornering at that time.

These are from the 50ish of course, but Renault is still around, they have been building vehicles for a 100 years by now.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

We had e few Renault cars in that time like the Renault 4CV, it had the engine in the back, a very reliable little 4 door transportation, the front dor opened up from the front, so-called suicide doors. the one that replaced it was the Dianne IIRC, my cousin had one and they needed weight in the front to keep it tracking straight as it was too light at the front end

We also had a Renault Fregatte, a larger Renault with some special suspension to compete with Citroen from that time as it was the winner in cornering at that time.

These are from the 50ish of course, but Renault is still around, they have been building vehicles for a 100 years by now.
              I had the Renault 4 and a 16 in about 1975 when I lived in the Channel Islands I was on Jersey for 3 years a lot of the cars were French and way ahead of the English cars in so many ways, I would have kept my Renault 4 but I moved to NZ in 1976.

And do you remember the gear stick that came out of the dash board, it went right to the front of the engine bay because the gear box was in front of the engine, the torsion bars went across the car one in front of the other so the wheels were one in front of the other, I still remember reading it and going out to have a look the wheel arches / mud guards were different but you never saw them both at the same time so it was not obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

I had the Renault 4 and a 16 in about 1975 when I lived in the Channel Islands I was on Jersey for 3 years a lot of the cars were French and way ahead of the English cars in so many ways, I would have kept my Renault 4 but I moved to NZ in 1976.

And do you remember the gear stick that came out of the dash board, it went right to the front of the engine bay because the gear box was in front of the engine, the torsion bars went across the car one in front of the other so the wheels were one in front of the other, I still remember reading it and going out to have a look the wheel arches / mud guards were different but you never saw them both at the same time so it was not obvious.
                Funny I don't recall the Renault with dash mounted stick shift, the one I do remember with that was a 2 stroke powered Lloyd that was front wheel drive and it had this stick out of the dash, pulling and pushing and twisting to get the different gear, boy there where a lot of car makers then all over Europe, most are now gone.

Can you imagine driving a DKW (Audi now) 3 cylinder 2 stroke with the smoke plume behind it, one old guy did drive one very carefully and when it didn't run well anymore he brought it to the dealer.

They took the the car and ran it at full speed (no speed limit in those days) so the plugged up exhaust system got cleared after a half hour or so driving it, SMOKING ?? yes SMOKING it did until cleaned

Those little cars really moved front wheel drive and very high RPM for no valves and lifters etc, 3 spark plugs and 3 coils, they really wound up, we even had a army jeep from DKW nice driving but no torque at lower rpm.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                X