Not Quite a Scam ... but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Quite a Scam ... but...

Had this one twice in two days. First my wife, and now me.

Get a call and it's someone with a foreign accent, with tons of background noise, telling me he is calling from the "Visa and Mastercard vacation service" or something like that.

My wife let him get in a few paragraphs before hanging up on him. Claims to be wanting to give us a trip and slips in questions for personal information here and there. I did my usual "no-thank-you-i'm-not-interested-in-this-CLICK" almost immediately. Sigh. I really hate that all these telemarketer and assorted rip-off phone artists have forced me to learn to become rude on the phone.

But this one... come on. Visa AND Mastercard vacation service. Um, those companies are competitors, dude.

Time to go verify that my name is in the national do-not-call registry!
    Watch for scams, people!

...art
    It's not about you.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Not Quite a Scam ... but...

I won't put much faith in that do not call registry. The first time I got calls on my cell phone was after I put it on the registry - go figure.. The story is that some of the less honest companies downloaded the list and used it to call people. Most located outside of Canada so nothing anybody can/will do.

Comment

Carry a tin whistle with you and use it! Betcha they won't call back.
      www.sppss.com
      "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts!" Sign outside our Pentecostal church.
      sigpic

Comment

Favourite answer...."Sorry, you've got the wrong number" click!
        Kevin

Comment

My favorite answer "I'm on the other line ,can you hold" I might as well waste their time too !
          "Control, control , you must learn control ". Yoda

Comment

It seems I win a "free" vacation pretty much every week. I finally got around to registering on the national DNC list so I expect that will be the last of these calls, at least from Canadian-based companies. Guess I'll have to start paying for vacations again... good thing my dog has a Capital One Visa card!

Comment

Re: the Whistle and "please hold" ideas...

Sorry guys, couldn't do that. As I said, I hate the fact that I've even had to learn to be this rude. Just not my style either.

As for the DNC list... actually I think it's working pretty well. We definitely find that our annoying phone call rate has gone way down.
              It's not about you.

Comment

I received a call from a window and door manufacturer located in Toronto asking to send a rep. over for a "free" estimate. The man had a slight accent, but the thing that aroused my interest was the background chatter i could hear in a language i could not understand. I asked him where he was located and he gave the name of a place in India. One of the ways they get around this DNC thingy.

Comment

my favourite trick is a long winded complaint about my hemoroids, arthritus, drug problem, rotting teeth, failing eyesight and what ever else i can think of

then i tell him/her about my recent bankruptcy/repossestion of my house and car and excuse me the brick is at the door to take back my last piece of furniture

that stuff leaves them speechless usually, so i just rant on about politics or healthcare what ever comes to mind!!

my wife sitting next to me during this rant is usually laughing her head off and im trying to keep a straight face!!

just a little mindless amusement!!
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Had one a couple of years ago for duct cleaning. I told them I would think about it and get back to them if they left a number. The reply was that if I thought about it I would say no. So I said thanks for saving me the time, my answer is NO. Then I hung up.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by aussie View Post
                      Carry a tin whistle with you and use it! Betcha they won't call back.
                      You're too polite. You should see what I carry around in my day bag.

Who says pedestrians can't have horns? It works well in all sorts of situations.

Happily and woefully out of date
                      ... and not buying the upgrade!

Comment

The worst one we had was computer generated calling 3 to 5 times a day for 4 months ,finally a person was on the other end . The calls " STOPPED" . The DNC list is great.
                        "Control, control , you must learn control ". Yoda

Comment

I keep getting calls now for at least the last year from a recorded mssage advising me about my credit card interest rates. Even though I have call blocking for up to 10 numbers, it is pointless I found as the caller is always calling from a different area code and tel number even though it is the same recording. One time I noticed the number was actually 123-456-7890, which seems really weird.

With telemarketers, the gloves are off. I will say ANYTHING to discourage future calls.

A sampling of past used, and some I'd love to use down the road:
                          • My wife is dead you dinkhead!
                          • I just went Bankrupt....that won't matter, will it?
                          • They moved.
                          • I'm renting this house.
                          • I just need to get the OK from the person who has Powers of Attorney of my affairs.
                          • I might be sentenced next week to a lengthy prison sentence..... how would that work?
                          • I'm blind, do you have a Brail version of your paper for home delivery?
                          • Could you repeat that again (for the umpteenth time).
                          • I'm very interested, but I need to consult my psychic advisor first.
                          • Will it make the voices arguing and screaming in my head stop you think?
                          • Sorry, but I need to go untie somebody, and monitor them while they feed. Say you've got that special voice just like him/her....where are you located...what's your name?
                          • Don't mind the spanking and sloshing sounds while I listen to your shpeal. If I don't knead the whale blubber in a certain amount of time, the blood settles back into the flabby gooey tissue, coagulates and it spoils.
                          • This is another police trick isn't it. I swear I'll kill them all!!!! You'll never find me coppers!!!!
                          • I know who this is ....you naughty girl/guy you.... that sure is sweet to save me those 1-900 charges for a change.
                          • That's you Jesus, isn't it. Finally answering one of my prayers...oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
                          • Did you say Osama? No, he's out right now.
                          • Why is it you guys always call when I'm sittin' on the John.
                          • I just ordered one yesterday from you guys.
                          • I had a dream about this last nite. I have the equipment needed at my side and have been sitting here for hours waiting for your call....let's not waste any more time....continue please....
                          • Do you have a special rate available for former inmates of Mentally Insane Correctional facilities? It wouldn't be very fair, and without reprisals if you didn't you know. A lot of things are not fair you know, and I plan on doing something about it one day. (Then growl like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade and ask if they have any biscuits over there).
                          • No, no, no!!!! That's not what I paid you to say Candy!!! You've ruined it!!! Now call back, and use the script....and remember put SPECIAL emphasis on the words "MAN OF THE HOUSE"...you got that?
                          • You know, my target shooting has really been getting boring putting little holes into paper, and you guys are really starting to tick me off!!!
                          • When I move to India, you can call me then.
                          • Is that you Brandon? Cindy is not allowed to see you! Oh! you're going to get it next time I see you. Cindy!!! get your belt and get down here right NOW...... then hang up.
                          • Could you repeat that, but this time, talk even lower and a little more sultry please? I'm almost ready to sign any where you want!
                          • You're name is Randy! Are you the same Randy, I shared a cell with on those trumped up serial killer charges? I've got a beef with you....SNITCH!!!! Thought you'd get away with it eh? Thought I wouldn't beat the rap, watch your back RANDY!!!!!
                          • Actually you've reached the Governors Line at the Texas Correctional Facility and he's just being strapped down now. He cannot take your call...but I'd be very interested....hey Tom this line has call waiting doesn't it?
                          Kevin

Comment

I'm lucky to have a phone that announces the phone number of incoming calls. If I can't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone - if they leave a message then I'll grab it and talk to them.

I used to have an answer message that announced my phone number so people would know when they dialed the wrong number - that was a mistake.

So now it just says "leave a message". Friends leave messages - call services do not except for the "your final chance to reduce your cc rates" Now that's the one I'd like to use my bush whistle on.

Sorta like Aussie's tin whistle but MUCH MUCH louder - used when lost in the bush so your field crew can find you.
                            Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Working...
                            X