Who makes a good quality recliner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes a good quality recliner?

When I buy "stuff" I refuse to buy chinese junk whenever possible.
    I am looking for a leather reclining loveseat. Found one @ lazyboy that I like. Is there any other top quality brands of reclining sofas around? The brick, leons etc has nothing.
    I have a couple Natuzzi leather sofas that are 8 years old and they are great quality but they dont do a recliner.

Cheers.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Who makes a good quality recliner?

Well, I can't recommend a good one, but I can suggest you stay away from Ashley. We bought a reclining sofa from them a couple of years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. I've never heardy any bad words about LazyBoy (althought I'm sure they must have some lemons).\

Kerry

Comment

How much are you willing to spend may be part of the answer. I know you to be a top quality seeking type of fellow, so first you may want to leave your wallet at home and take a trip to the Art Shoppe to use for comparison purposes. Another question I ask, is this for a comfy sit in your living room, or are you outfitting for a Theater/Movie viewing use. There's actually a big difference. Also, do you want customized construction, or standard size fare. Tony in Brampton would be of great use/feedback on this, but heks been too busy and not posting of late. GooD luck Chris!
      Kevin

Comment

Lazyboy! Only chair I will buy! Two rocker-recliners we bought about 18 years ago, now reside in two of our kids homes. Before the Lazyboy chair I bought a Sklar-Pepler leather recliner. Nothing but trouble, final got the furniture store to take it back. I recently bought a new Lazyboy for the man-cave. A wall a way leather recliner, nice chair!
        sigpic
        hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Lazyboy. We have a recliner in our living room that was bought when our daughter was born. She's 26 now. The mechanisms still work like they did 26 years ago. The fabric is starting to look a bit threadbare on the arm covers but otherwise it still looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
            How much are you willing to spend may be part of the answer. !
            We dont really want to spend more than $2500. It will be for the addition. For lounging and watching tv. We like the lazyboy but the leather is not nearly as heavy as that on my Natuzziz's. I found out last night that Natuzzi makes recliners and reclining sofas. I will e-mail them today to see if they do a loveseat. Their leather, foam and construction is second to none. They also use a quality American made mecanism in their recliners. If that does not pan out it will probably be the lazboy.

Cheers.

Comment

LazyBoy........ They have given me headaches the last year and a half. I had to order 2 wallaways from Lazyboy Gallery in Barrie. They were 3 months coming. 2 months beyond shipping date. On my wife's right arm rest, where the elbow would rest, the dye started eroded. (Burgandy color). This was within 8 months of ownership. We called Lazyboy about it. Sent them pictures of it. They agreed to replace leather on arm. I had to pay them $50 for labor. All is good..
              Right before 12 months of ownership, my chair started losing color right where my head touches the back.. Sent them pics. I had to deal with them at their Illinois headquarters. They said normal wear from body oils was not covered in warrenty. So why did they replace the other one's arm. It was due to body oil.
              I bought a very small bottle (1oz) of the exact dye from them for $37. It doesnt do a thing for the problem.
              So, long story short, I got $2287 invested in 2 recliners from LazyBoy. NEVER AGAIN. My bad.
              Where are the calculations that determines a calculated risk?

Comment

Glad you chimed in Mike.

I spent 1 hour last night online reading about lazboy customer service nightmares. There is no shortage of complaints about lazboy. I chalked it up to the fact that they are a huge company and sell millions of units. I still believe they make a quality product but I got the feeling that when the occasional problem happened, they refused to make it right. Even if the customer paid the extended warrenty.

Chris

Comment

We went to a futon store and got a couple of large chairs with twin-size mattresses. The foot can be extended to make it a lounger, dropped at the end to make a relaxed chair, pushed under and the futon folded over the back to make it a standard chair or the foot out and the back lowered to make it a single bed.

For the price, you certainly can't beat it. It's pretty darned comfortable as well, and the frame is made of Maple.

The mattresses come in differing softnesses: soft, medium, hard. The softer ones have some foam in them instead of all cotton batting.

Take a look at your local futon store.

Happily and woefully out of date
                  ... and not buying the upgrade!

Comment

Hmmm, I've seen any number of reclining morris chairs on this forum... Shouldn't be that hard to double the width on them.

On a more serious note, I hear you on the leather quality. I built myself a loveseat back in 2003. We had it professionally upholstered with good quality leather. It still looks great 6 years later. Then about 2 years ago we picked up a leather sofa at a local (now belly-up) furniture store. The leather is already showing marks and light crease marks. It's definitely a whole 'nother (lower) quality leather.

...art
                    It's not about you.

Comment

My FIL bought an expensive leather recliner from the old hide house and within 2 months at look 25 years old. The dye in the leather was **** and faded out insanely. The whole chair shakes and wobbles around like a diggy in the ocean. We have a barkalouger that is 25 years old and is in far better shape.

Mother has a LZB couch that has been **** from the get go.
                      Grillzy

Comment

Spent the big bucks on Lazyboy chesterfield and recliner. Nothing but trouble after the first couple years. Client service was non existent, until the warranty finally ran out. Springs came off the frame, and recliner mechanisms all failed. NEVER AGAIN.

We bought some brand name , think it was called Birchwood, "made in Calgary" at half the price of Lazyboy at the same time, still going strong and more comfortable.

Comment

Anything but Lazyboy. Bought one several years ago, frame broke. After mush hassle dealer agreed to repair at what seemed to me at an exorbitant price. I took it in after several months I tried to contact dealer was out of business and of course chair was no where to be found.
                          Bob just past Ayr www.thelavenderfarm.ca

Comment

Last winter my aunt (93) wanted a new "Chair" so I got her one on sale made by Lane (I think) anyway she loved it, "Cool"l I says and away we go. 3 days later :"this chair is dead" she says "Don't work" She says (Did I mention she has dimentia?) Anyway I went down with my grandson to see the chair (2 hours away) when we got there the chair was in full recline and she couldn't raise it ( had to shift the lever 180 degrees, too hard to do for a 93 year old woman)
                            Took it back, asked for a easier chair "too bad" they says " all the same" Told my Grandson that I wish I knew where a Lazyboy was ... he texted his girlfriend and said it was "Blah Blah Blah " "Put it in the Tom Tom " I says ..., 2.5 miles later we were in front of a LazyBoy store and was able to pick up Last year's model for a song.... Took it to auntie and she was so proud.... Still works it today although her dimentia is worse....

Lazyboy is my choice...

As for me in my house, I got this leather chair from Sams Club in 2001, one would think it is a new chair although I sleep in it most nights, till I wake up to (you know) and go to bed... Not a Lazy boy but some unknown brand at the discount barn "Sams" Lets see, that is about 8 years of continuous use... Still in service, and still good...
                            Last edited by Bill Simpson; 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM.
                            Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
                              Well, I can't recommend a good one, but I can suggest you stay away from Ashley. We bought a reclining sofa from them a couple of years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. I've never heardy any bad words about LazyBoy (althought I'm sure they must have some lemons).\

Kerry
                              Ok, now I've heard bad words about LazyBoy

I just sent Ashley a complaint letter today. Wonder whether I'll get more than a form letter back?

Comment

Working...
                              X