The Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Is there anything like the Society of American Period Furniture Makers in canada? http://www.sapfm.org/
    Last edited by callee; 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM. Reason: vague thread title
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: The Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Not aware of anything quite like that.
    There are many clubs though, some shown here http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/clubs.php

Comment

Related question: does anyone know if sapfm accepts Canadian members? Their website is set up to show only the 49 states as possible home addresses. Some of their Michigan meetings woud be quite within reach of SW Ontarians.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jayked View Post
        Related question: does anyone know if sapfm accepts Canadian members? Their website is set up to show only the 49 states as possible home addresses. Some of their Michigan meetings woud be quite within reach of SW Ontarians.
        Jim

I have no idea, but if I had to guess, I would say I bet they would accept canadian members.

First, the constitution and by-laws keep stressing that membership is open to "all persons."

note:
        ARTICLE IV - MEMBERSHIP
        SECTION 1. - All persons shall be eligible for membership in SAPFM, especially those having an interest in making and reproducing period furniture and who meet the qualifications prescribed and enumerated in the Bylaws.
        and it seems to say that the only requirements for membership are a willingness to pay dues and a willingness to follow the rules:

SECTION 1. - Membership
        A. Membership in SAPFM is available to all individuals satisfying the following:
        1. Have paid dues for the current period.
        2. Signifiy a willingness to adhere to all rules and regulations of SAPFM as they may from time to time be established pursuant to the Constitution and Bylaws.
        Further, I don't see any explicit prohibition against foreign members.

Yes, the website does only allow an american state to be entered in the address, but that could very well be just an oversight on the part of the (likely non-SAPFM member) web designer that they hired to code the website, and not reflective of any actual society policy. I saw a link for a download of a paper application that you can mail in; if you did that, you could just write in your canadian address.

That's my guess, anyway.

Comment

That makes sense -- I'll give it a try.
          Thanks, Jim

Comment

I ask the guys over to sapfm the answer I got was all are welcome.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I saw the thread on the SAPFM forum, so I thought I would respond here, too.

All interested parties are welcome in SAPFM, the emphasis tends to be on 18th Century American furniture, but there is room for everyone. I know of at least on SAPFM member from Canada, he is from the Toronto area and attends most of the national events as well as chapter meetings in the Detroit area and sometimes makes the meetings of the Ohio River Valley chapter.

Both of these chapters hold meetings in the spring and fall. They are usually a 2 day event starting on Saturday mornings about 10 AM and ending Sunday around noon or 1AM. There are usually presentations and demonstrations given by members on a variety of topics, whatever is of interest to the group. Many of the members are knowledgable and willing to share their knowledge so the meetings are interesting and enjoyable. Information about some of the past chapter meetings can be found on the SAPFM forum.

If you would like any additional information, let me know. I hope to see some of you at upcoming meetings.

Jim Crammond

Comment

Thanks Jim for joining the thread and giving that answer!

I had already sent an email to society president Mickey Callahan who replied to me as follows:

Hi Ryan,

Nice to hear from our friends north of the border. SAPFM membership is open to everyone
                including Canadians. I am forwarding this email to Mark Arnold who is our membership
                coordinator who will gladly take care of anyone interested in joining. You bring up a
                good point about us not mentioning foreign memberships with our online membership form.
                We'll see what we can do to change this. In the mean time contact Mark at
                [email protected] for further assistance. Happy New Year and best wishes.

Mickey Callahan - SAPFM President
                So, it appears that all interested can pursue this.

Have fun guys!

Comment

So has anyone Joined sapfm?

Comment

Originally posted by wood1000rio View Post
                    So has anyone Joined sapfm?
                    I have. No problem joining, though the administrative wheels move exceeding slow, I suppose because everything's done by volunteers. I haven't had time yet to take advantage of what they offer.
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X