Mount tool box to trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount tool box to trailer

I was able to buy a tool box from Princess Auto today prior to their sale on Tuesday that I would like to mount it on my trailer tongue. It is on page 27 of their flyer starting on May 25th. How do you mount tool boxes to your trailer tongue? I will probably put a piece of ply down first for support.

Re: Mount tool box to trailer

I would use a piece of ply with u-bolts that go under the tongue ,up through the ply & through the box .
    Last edited by wilson; 05-22-2010, 07:26 PM. Reason: as

Comment

Originally posted by akabek View Post
      I was able to buy a tool box from Princess Auto today prior to their sale on Tuesday that I would like to mount it on my trailer tongue. It is on page 27 of their flyer starting on May 25th. How do you mount tool boxes to your trailer tongue? I will probably put a piece of ply down first for support.
      What type of trailer is it??? Travel trailer, Tent trailer,utility trailer or other????

Anything on tongue now?? Is weight a consideration??
      Don't do anything that you're not prepared to explain to a paramedic

Comment

A couple of pieces of angle iron welded to the tongue could be one way.

Question, will the box interfere with turning sharply?
        Egon
        from
        The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

It is a 5x10 utility trailer. Here is what it looks like.

http://hitchmantrailers.ca/catalog/images/BT583R.jpg

Comment

I would check out how it will interfere with the turning radius especially when you are backing up and the thing jack knifes, believe me , it is very easy to do. I would build a bracket so it sits above the box on the front.

Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

From the looks of the trailer It's very likely to do some damage to the tow vehicle on tight turns.

Just set the box on the tongue to check it out.

An alternative may be to mount your toolbox across the top of the box at the front or on top along the side of the trailer box.

Note: I'm assuming you have purchased a toolbox that is the full width of a P/U truck box.
              Egon
              from
              The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

If the toolbox does not extend past the triangle of the tongue it shouldn't be a problem should it?
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                  If the toolbox does not extend past the triangle of the tongue it shouldn't be a problem should it?
                  No, just watch your tongue weight.

Comment

I am assuming, dangerous thing to do,that it is a tool box that sits across the front of a p/u box and they are usually in the 4 1/2 to 5 ft wide. the one i have is 58 in wide and 22 in deep which would stick into the bumper on a sharp turn. His trailer looks about 5 ft wide

Brian
                    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                      I am assuming, dangerous thing to do,that it is a tool box that sits across the front of a p/u box and they are usually in the 4 1/2 to 5 ft wide. the one i have is 58 in wide and 22 in deep which would stick into the bumper on a sharp turn. His trailer looks about 5 ft wide

Brian

To see how much room you have hook the trailer to your vehicle and drive one full circle at your tightest radius the car will do. Put car in park, hop out and looking at the tongue you'll see the maximum room you have to work with GOING FORWARD. In reverse you'll be able to jackknife the thing and rough up your bumper regardless of any toolbox additions.

Note the room you have will vary vehicle to vehicle so if this trailer is towed behind multiple vehicles, repeat for each one.

Comment

Working...
                      X