Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping upstairs cool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keeping upstairs cool

    Good evening. My wife and I are having a discussion about fans in the 4 bedrooms upstairs. We have a 2 story foyer and an open hall to the bedrooms. I say having the fans in each room blowing air out of the room and into the foyer will create a slightly negative pressure in the room and draw more cool air into the room from the vents. My wife states the fan should be oscillating in each separate room to keep the air moving in the room. Comments please.

  • #2

    Re: Keeping upstairs cool

    Re: Keeping upstairs cool

    Lets follow some scientific reasoning on this shall we!

    Your wife is right of course!
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Keeping upstairs cool

      Re: Keeping upstairs cool

      I have a window air conditioner for sale that would cool all 4 rooms.
      Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Keeping upstairs cool

        Re: Keeping upstairs cool

        I have a single, 20" fan that I put in a bedroom window upstairs blowing out. By adjusting which other windows are open in the house, I can get pretty-good air exchange where I need it. The biggest drawback to my system now is that I have to leave the window screen in place (because of our overly-generous bug supply), so the fan's effectiveness is somewhat diminished relative to what it would be without the screen.
        In PEI's climate, I only need the fan for a handfull of nights in a year, anyway.
        BOB

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Keeping upstairs cool

          Re: Keeping upstairs cool

          Once upon a time I put a 20" fan in the door (hatch) to the attic to blow up. This way it blows the really hot air out of the attic, and it has to be replaced from fresh air in the windows. Worked pretty good.

          Today I have windows on all sides, and just let the wind blow thu.
          In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity. - Thomas Sowell

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Keeping upstairs cool

            Re: Keeping upstairs cool

            You said you are drawing cool air from the vents. Does this mean you have central A/C but the upstairs is still too warm?

            If you have central A/C there will be a tendency for the cool air to remain down at floor level and then fall down the stairwell opening to the lower level. House ducting is really designed for heating, not cooling.

            IMO, a ceiling fan might be a solution but you could simulate one with your small fans. Try closing the doors too even though it doesn't seem like a good thing to do.

            billh

            Comment


            • #7

              Re: Keeping upstairs cool

              Re: Keeping upstairs cool

              Blowing air past your body helps cool it by dissipating body heat faster and by accelerating evaporative cooling. This does nothing for lowering the actual temperature of the room's air, though (in fact it slightly raises it because of the heat from the fan motor).
              A whole-house fan (or cobbled-together substitute) will either force air out of (or into) the house and create air exchange. If the air outside is cooler than the air inside, you get the cooling effect of a bit of air movement plus actually lowering the inside air temp.
              I wonder if it would work to get an old furnace squirrel cage fan and hook it up to an attic or basement window to create a negative pressure in the whole house? Then you could just open a window in the room you wanted to cool/ventilate, and outside air would flow right in.
              As I said before, my cooling needs are too slight and temporary to need a very elaborate system, but your needs may call for more drastic action.
              BOB

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                Originally posted by shiellb View Post
                ...about fans in the 4 bedrooms upstairs. We have a 2 story foyer and an open hall to the bedrooms. I say having the fans in each room blowing air out of the room and into the foyer will create a slightly negative pressure in the room and draw more cool air into the room from the vents. My wife states the fan should be oscillating in each separate room to keep the air moving in the room. Comments please.
                Originally posted by billh View Post
                If you have central A/C there will be a tendency for the cool air to remain down at floor level and then fall down the stairwell opening to the lower level.
                My experience matches Bill's comments.

                We also have a two-storey vaulted foyer. The upstairs bedrooms open off of the upstairs section of the foyer.

                We had a HVAC inspector in a few years ago who told us that we need to keep the upstairs bedroom doors CLOSED during the cooling season (not easy with active kids running around!) or the cold air will come out of the HVAC vents in the bedrooms, and just roll out the door and fall down the stairs.

                We've done our best since then to listen to his advice. Keeping the bedroom doors closed helps "hold" the cold air upstairs in the bedrooms. We do notice the difference.

                Actually, the ideal solution would be to have TWO sets of return air vents. During the summer you'd open and use the return air vents located near the ceiling to suck in the hot air. During the winter you'd ope and use the return air vents located near the floor and suck in the cold air.

                Actually, an even better idea would be for house builders to design smarter houses. Most bedrooms these days only have one window. About a year after we moved into our house, my wife and I added a window to our MBR (a 24x48 casement) on the side of the house. This now gave us windows on TWO walls in the room. The ability to get a cross breeze through the room made a HUGE difference in the comfort level in that room. We wanted to do the same thing on one of our kids bedrooms -- it is located on the NW corner of the house and can cook in the hot summer. However, adding a 2nd window to that room is impossible because the (useless woodburning inefficient piece-o-junk) FamRm fireplace chimney runs up the outside wall that we would want to use.
                It's not about you.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                  Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                  Since you're going to be getting a lot of the cold air from upstairs rolling down to the main floor anyway, try closing vents on the main floor (and in the basement). This should force a higher volume of cool air to the open upstairs registers. Start with vents that aren't near entrances and south facing windows.

                  If you have wall returns, you can probably install upper grills in the same wall cavities. Make sure they have dampers you can open and close, and replace the lower ones with dampered grills, too.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                    Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                    Originally posted by Bob_Macgregor View Post
                    actually lowering the inside air temp.
                    I wonder if it would work to get an old furnace squirrel cage fan and hook it up to an attic or basement window to create a negative pressure in the whole house? Then you could just open a window in the room you wanted to cool/ventilate, and outside air would flow right in.

                    BOB
                    If you have a choice, blow the hot air out of the attic to create the negative pressure. The basement is already cool and you don't want to blow that cold air out.
                    In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity. - Thomas Sowell

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                      Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                      Wouldn't you think if you have an air conditioned house and the system is in fact providing cooling air how in the heck would the cold air ROLL down a staircase into an already COOL space?

                      As for builders designing and building better houses,,,,,,,,, We are and we do!

                      Putting more windows in a house may be great for ventilation in the Summer, unless of course you have A/C, but you might complain about the cold or the draft in the Winter. We solved that with better glass. We solved the Heat and A/C with thicker walls and better insulation,etc. etc. If anyone thinks today's homes aren't improved and improving all the time,,,,,,,,,,,Hmm??
                      "Do it Right!"

                      Comment


                      • #12

                        Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                        Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                        Thanks for the info. Our house does have central A/C. We use it only on really hot humid days, the rest of the time we have the windows open. I am intrigued about the idea of closing the main floor vents thereby forcing the cooled air to the second floor and letting it flow to the lower floors. Have a good weekend all and thanks again.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                          Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                          Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Wouldn't you think if you have an air conditioned house and the system is in fact providing cooling air how in the heck would the cold air ROLL down a staircase into an already COOL space?
                          It seems that you are assuming that the ENTIRE first floor is completely filled with uniformly cool air. It isn't. Hot air that is generated on the first floor (from your PC, your Stove, Your Fridge compressor, your TV...) will rise. It will rise up the stairs, and the cold air that your HVAC unit pumped up there will in turn fall down the stairs into your main floor.

                          Unless you close the doors.

                          Try it for yourself. We did. I'm speaking from our own experience.
                          It's not about you.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                            Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                            Originally posted by ArtMulder View Post
                            It seems that you are assuming that the ENTIRE first floor is completely filled with uniformly cool air. It isn't. Hot air that is generated on the first floor (from your PC, your Stove, Your Fridge compressor, your TV...) will rise. It will rise up the stairs, and the cold air that your HVAC unit pumped up there will in turn fall down the stairs into your main floor.

                            Unless you close the doors.

                            Try it for yourself. We did. I'm speaking from our own experience.
                            Art I'm sure not saying it doesn't work for you but something isn't working right. Have you tried running the fan continuously? Sounds like you need more circulation thru the return airs.
                            "Do it Right!"

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                              Re: Keeping upstairs cool

                              Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              Art I'm sure not saying it doesn't work for you but something isn't working right. Have you tried running the fan continuously? Sounds like you need more circulation thru the return airs.
                              Ummm, you said "but something isn't working right."

                              I'm not in charge of the laws of physics, Rusty...
                              Hot air rises, cold air sinks, that's just the way it is. If you have a 2-storey space, the colder air will make it's way to the bottom, and the warm air to the top.

                              I don't have a 2-speed fan, so I have no interest in running my furnace fan 24/7 when all I need to do is close some doors. We try to keep the AC turned off as much as possible, and this simple method helps a great deal.
                              It's not about you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X