This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing this forum on mobile devices

I asked Bill if he would consider installing Tapatalk software on this forum to make it easier for mobile devices to read the forums. Bill agreed and it's been installed and works great.

Here is what Tapatalk says about it's software:
    Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry (free) and Nokia (free). Tapatalk Forum App provides super fast on-the-go forum access to any vBulletin, IPBoard, phpBB or SMF forum that has activated our Tapatalk plugin.
    Bill was curious what's so different about Tapatalk compared to using the mobile browser. I told him I would post some pictures comparing the two technologies. Here are the pictures comparing the view of this forum using the mobile browser (Safari) for the iPhone (left picture) and Tapatalk (right picture).

Latest Topics (ie. New Posts)
    Latest_Topic_brw.jpgLatest_Topic_tap.jpg

Forum List
    forum_list_brw.jpgforum_list_tap.jpg

Who's Online
    who_brw.jpgwho_tap.jpg

As you can see, viewing using the mobile browser is difficult as the browser tries to show the entire web page. You then need to adjust the viewing size to read the text. With tapatalk it just displays the text in a nice readable format without any zooming in and out to read and navigate.

I'm just a user of Tapatalk and thought it was a great app. I realize that there are other applications that do similar things for mobile devices. I happen to own and use Tapatalk. It was easy for Bill to install on the forum and it only costs $2.99 for iPhone users. Well worth the cost.

Enjoy!
    Peter

Re: Viewing this forum on mobile devices

I've tried this also using my BB 9000 operating on the 5.0.0.900 OS. I prefer the BB's internet rendering over this Tapatalk interface. The BB may have pages organized in a somewhat strange way a little bit, but you lose a lot of functionality in the Tapatalk mode to simply have a read thread only purpose view. Not for me.

Even on my wife's 8310 BB Curve, which renders the internet very poorly in comparison to my Bold, I prefer the BB Curve use.

I'm actually using the Tapatalk software on the Bold to respond, and although it renders the typeface larger than when I'd be doing this the other way, it's not a biggee enough for me. For basic browsing from thread to thread, it is faster, but again with limited functionality. I installed the basic Tapatalk which is free. So no worries if you want to try it anyways, and if anybody does for the BB, but buys the upgrade version and notices a significant improvement in functionality over the basic, please share, I may do the same with more convincing.
    Kevin

Comment

Thanks for posting that Peter. For others who may wish to use the technology on their mobile devices, read on.

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Nokia. Tapatalk supports vBulletin, phpBB, IPB and SMF forums and forum owner can activate this service for free. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps.

Showing New and Unread Thread with Avatar and Number of reply:

Images are thread are converted to thumbnail and allow full-screen viewing

Ability to see Who's Online and what they are doing:

Ability to search by topics and posts:

Ability to upload images directly from Android and iPhone!:

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!
      Just wandering around

Comment

I would have tried it if the app didn't cost $2.99 ... the web browser will work for me.

AK

Comment

The blue/ grey/ white colourway is so much easier on the eye......
          Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Comment

Thanks Bill & Peter, Taptalk rocks & now I can the pics in the posts (work firewall blocks all photo linking)

Posted from my iPhone

Eamon
            SPCHT
            sigpic

Comment

I agree, for the cost of a couple of cups of coffee it offers a nice alternative for when you can't use a computer to view the forum.

Comment

I want to test the uploading of pictures. I found out today that when you upload pictures from Tapatalk to a forum the images are not stored on the forum but are stored on some Tapatalk server. This is an issue that bothers me. If you look at the image info for this image below it shows that it is stored on some numbered server. When I do a whois search it says the domain belongs to Amazon.com. Not sure what that means, the Tapatalk main office is in Hong Kong.

Last edited by Peter in Maple Ridge; 12-15-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Hey Peter I don't remember seeing you on this job. Where were you hiding?

DSCN1674 (Small).JPGDSCN1675 (Small).JPG
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
                    I want to test the uploading of pictures. I found out today that when you upload pictures from Tapatalk to a forum the images are not stored on the forum but are stored on some Tapatalk server. This is an issue that bothers me. If you look at the image info for this image below it shows that it is stored on some numbered server. When I do a whois search it says the domain belongs to Amazon.com. Not sure what that means, the Tapatalk main office is in Hong Kong.
                    That may cause some problems down the road if Tapatalk pulls the plug and disappears.
                    Just wandering around

Comment

I agree Bill. I know of another app that functions like Tapatalk but supposedly it allows the uploading of pictures to the forum server. It's called forumrunner http://www.forumrunner.net/

Forumrunner installs like Tapatalk, a small plugin you install then register your forum with their website. According to forumrunner you can install both Tapatalk and Forumrunner on the same server with out any issues. This might be another option.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
                        I agree Bill. I know of another app that functions like Tapatalk but supposedly it allows the uploading of pictures to the forum server. It's called forumrunner http://www.forumrunner.net/

Forumrunner installs like Tapatalk, a small plugin you install then register your forum with their website. According to forumrunner you can install both Tapatalk and Forumrunner on the same server with out any issues. This might be another option.

Hmmmm, more add ons!!!!

Maybe as a precautionary measure Peter, once you get back to your computer, add the images into you forum album or the Members Gallery. That way, if you ever had to recover them, they'd be here.
                        Just wandering around

Comment

Just installed Tapatalk. Seems to work great, and is much easier than using the browser... simply because with the browser it is tricky to always select the correct buttons.

I also like how when scrolling through new posts you get the first couple lines of text.

Matt

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
                          SPCHT

Comment

Test

SPCHT

Comment

Hey, it works.

I like how when scrolling through new posts you can see the first couple lines of text. An error occurred the first time I posted, but it seems good now.

Matt

SPCHT

Comment

Working...
                              X