Antique Chair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Chair

I have been given this old chair which was missing one of the sticks from the back.The seat is pine theback bits are oak ,rockers pine andthe legs are covered in paint .One of the layers looks like milk paint then covered with some oil paint that has not bonded well.
    Are there any antique collectors out there who could hazard any guess as to age or origin? By the size/height it looks to me like a nursing chair.All the parts appear hand turned by the lack of symmetry.The seat is one slab of pine with the roll at the front added(back of which is rough sawn)yet the underside of the seat is smooth no discernable plane marks
    Attached Files

Re: Antique Chair

Jay, what I think you have is a mid-1800's windsor rocker. These started to appear generally @1825 until mid-1800's when the victorian influences started to take hold. The variation you have is sometimes referred to as a 'boston rocker' because it has a rolled front and rising flared seat. These are usually a combination of different woods including a softwood seat (easily carved); many backs have bent tapered spindles or rods, some arrow-back and some with a single larger splat. Some have narrow rockers, and some wide. Yours look like they've done some work. The narrow ones often need to be replaced because they aren't as strong, and sometimes are referred to as 'rug cutters' because that's what they eventually do if used on a rug. Dah! They are usually painted.. black over red is common and sometimes with crest rail and seat stenciling.
    I've heard it said that often without arms and in a small size like yours, these where considered ladies chairs.
    I'm speculating that yours is a fairly late 'country piece'. Although it has the distinctive hallmark style, it appears to be fairly crudely made and a bit clunky in it's proportions. It lacks refinement in other words. The legs are quite similar in style to the huge number of windsor side (kitchen) chairs common in every house of that period.
    Chairs of this sort might very well be found anywhere in eastern Canada, but probably less so in parts of quebec where they had their own distinctive styles that weren't grounded in styles from the british isles for some reason...LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Thom View Post
      Jay, what I think you have is a mid-1800's windsor rocker. These started to appear generally @1825 until mid-1800's when the victorian influences started to take hold. The variation you have is sometimes referred to as a 'boston rocker' because it has a rolled front and rising flared seat. These are usually a combination of different woods including a softwood seat (easily carved); many backs have bent tapered spindles or rods, some arrow-back and some with a single larger splat. Some have narrow rockers, and some wide. Yours look like they've done some work. The narrow ones often need to be replaced because they aren't as strong, and sometimes are referred to as 'rug cutters' because that's what they eventually do if used on a rug. Dah! They are usually painted.. black over red is common and sometimes with crest rail and seat stenciling.
      I've heard it said that often without arms and in a small size like yours, these where considered ladies chairs.
      I'm speculating that yours is a fairly late 'country piece'. Although it has the distinctive hallmark style, it appears to be fairly crudely made and a bit clunky in it's proportions. It lacks refinement in other words. The legs are quite similar in style to the huge number of windsor side (kitchen) chairs common in every house of that period.
      Chairs of this sort might very well be found anywhere in eastern Canada, but probably less so in parts of quebec where they had their own distinctive styles that weren't grounded in styles from the british isles for some reason...LOL.
      Thanks for the help Rick

Comment

Working...
      X