New or Not so New Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New or Not so New Scam

dw got a phone call from some guy claiming to be from windows and warned her about a bug in the system leading to a virus

he wanted her to go online, link to a web site called "help for windows" and follow his instructions

she refused and he became quite rude and persistant, she hung up

just a warning!!
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New or Not so New Scam

Just another version of bank and credit card scams. I got the same notice and my Norton security jumped all over it.
    Plan for tomorrow, live for today, and party tonight.

Comment

There's also a strong of calls going arround stating that your home PC has malicious software installed on it (bot) and must be cleaned immediately or you'll be reported....which of course if you visit the site provided, it'll clean your machine up in no time

Comment

Originally posted by Cricht0n View Post
        There's also a strong of calls going arround stating that your home PC has malicious software installed on it (bot) and must be cleaned immediately or you'll be reported....which of course if you visit the site provided, it'll clean your machine up in no time
        I tell them I am in charge of all the computers -- but don't know how to turn them on. Sometimes there are five to ten calls a day here... Haven't had one for a while though -- and yes it is a scam.
        ---
        Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Comment

First time they called they claimed to be from Microsoft, when I asked them they said they weren't actually from MS but are associated in some way with them. They have called several times over the month, depending on how much time I have I play with them and have some fun.
          Last time they called, he asked me to turn on the computer, I replied "how do I do that?", so he asked if I was in front of my computer and I replied "what is it?", as he was hanging up I could hear him say "oh, come on", made my day
          Cheers,
          Werner

Comment

Had this happen a couple of months ago. The guy's accent was so bad I could hardly understand what he was saying. You would think they would speak the language if they want to rip you off. Just hang up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tee Jay View Post
              Had this happen a couple of months ago. The guy's accent was so bad I could hardly understand what he was saying. You would think they would speak the language if they want to rip you off. Just hang up.
              Please don't just hang up. It can be very satisfying toying with these jackasses!

Comment

I've received a few phone calls from a company called Online PC Care. He did his whole spiel then I told him I build my own computers and don't need any help. So he told me if I was that how come I'm not working for them and wanted to meet me. I said I'll meet you, name the place so I can pound your face in. He hung up!

Little did he know I weigh 150lbs and don't even know how to fight...haha

Comment

I often put the phone down quietly and walk away from it. For some reason they always hang up.
                  Cheers,
                  Warthog

Everyone is a self-made person.

Comment

One of the companies doing this was a MS Gold Partner! Once MS found out about it they revoked their association and took their info off the MS website. Hurray for outsourcing

They called here and got the GF.... she gave them a tuning and hung up The interesting thing was the phone number 023-456-7891, can you say fake?

On a side note, were on the "Do not call" list, but ive noticed a steady rise in unwanted telemarketer calls several months after the law was passed. It was great at the beginning, but now its as bad as it ever was.

Why cant the telcos or the feds cut this stuff out? there are several main offenders, particularly that one with the ships horn...

Is there some loophole in the law these guys are capitalizing on?

Comment

All this **** is why I never rush to answer the phone - let the answering machine handle it - they usually all hang up if they can't get through. My phone announces the number or the caller name and if I recognize it, I answer right away - if not, it's leave a message or hang up. If they are serious, there will be a message. After doing this for a while, my garbage calls dropped from 3 or 4 per night to maybe 2 or 3 per week. My friends know what I do and if the land line doesn't get me, the cell will - and that number is only given to a few.

I also block - blocked numbers - they don't even ring through - just get a message telling them to unblock their number and try again. My phone also has a silent mode for overnight - so that starts about 8PM and ends about 9AM - won't ring in the house between those hours

I've always thought about keeping an air horn near the phone for when a caller gets rude or abusive. Instead, I keep one of those thunderer pea whistles that carry long distances for when you are lost in the bush. Only had to use it once.

Just remember that when you threaten them, they called you and have your number and it takes 30 seconds on the internet to find out where you live. Then again, most of these guys are in Russia or the Balkans.

And if somebody does threaten your wife or daughter, there is a *xx number that can mark the call as threatening or something like that if the police chose to persue it. Research it yourself, I've never used it

Unfortunately, MY CAPTAIN keeps calling me at work with that special tour package, or the 10000 reward air miles he is willing to credit to my card if only I would give him my number - don't forget to give him the security code....

nuff said
                      Last edited by Glenn from Winnipeg; 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM. Reason: addn'
                      Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Originally posted by Warthog View Post
                        I often put the phone down quietly and walk away from it. For some reason they always hang up.
                        Same here.
                        I usually say "Can you hang on a moment?" and then put it down.
                        I check it every 5 minutes or so to see if they are still there. It is interesting to see how long they stay on the line before they get the message...
                        My son hates it when I do that but I figure, My phone, My time, My rules...

Comment

Somewhat along the same lines, is email phishing from scammers pretending to be from the CRA. I got one last week, and thought it pretty convincing, especially looking at the address it was coming from really looked like it would have been from the CRA. I felt it prudent to send out warnings to others as a result. Copied and pasted below.....
                          I just received an email this morning that I knew to be a phishing email that appeared very much to be from the CRA. Although I already knew that the CRA would NEVER communicate to me via email in this manner, it was so well executed, I thought I’d send out this warning to you.

THE CRA (CANADA REVENUE AGENCY) WILL NEVER TRY TO CONTACT YOU VIA EMAIL.

Further, telephone calls from the CRA, while possible, should be handled with care, as there are “phishing” calls done in this manner also.

Further information about fraudulent CRA communications can be viewed here on the CRA website:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ntcs/bwr-eng.html

Here is an example of the email I received this morning which came from this email address which I have altered slightly to remove the risk that anybody should click on it in error:

Canada Revenue Agency [[email protected]]

CRA Message: Your Tax Refund Notification

Dear Taxpayer,

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $332.55. Please submit the tax refund request and allow 2-3 working days for processing.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline. To access the form for your tax refund, please Click here : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Note: For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time. Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

Thank You
                          Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

If you have any questions, please contact me. If you believe that you been a victim of fraudulent CRA communication, please go to the CRA page linked above and contact the RCMP.

EDIT: Looks like a bunch of scammers got busted today...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2176368/

Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM.
                          Kevin

Comment

I was receiving the one with the ships horn blasting, offering a free cruise or something. Got it at work afew times, then at home. I listened to the offer hoping there would be an option to end block the calls after the message. When that didn't work I dialed the number..there is a do not call option there. I did that for work and home..haven't had any more of those calls......until today. The B******S called my cell phone

Comment

Originally posted by Pat from Elora View Post
                              I was receiving the one with the ships horn blasting, offering a free cruise or something. Got it at work afew times, then at home. I listened to the offer hoping there would be an option to end block the calls after the message. When that didn't work I dialed the number..there is a do not call option there. I did that for work and home..haven't had any more of those calls......until today. The B******S called my cell phone
                              Did you dial the number that came up on the phone? Or is their another number listed during the spiel? Ive never listened past the stupid horn to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X