Harassing phone calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassing phone calls

Is anyone else getting almost daily calls from 866-391-2277 and 888-568-9679? Seems like a computer dialer and no one ever answers, so we can't ask to be taken off their call list. We are on the do not call list but that doesn't stop them, what a surprise. Getting to be a real pain in the arse.
    If women don't find you handsome, they can sure find you handy. Red Green

Re: Harassing phone calls

I always figured those calls were actually trying to figure out when to call a location. Their system takes note when a call gets picked up, and whether it is a male or female or elderly answering, then that info is used to better target real calls to your location. I rarely answer any calls unless the name or number is recognizeable on my display.
    Kevin

Comment

I have call display and never answer any calls using the 866 or 888 area codes.
      Just wandering around

Comment

A lot of times it seems they spoof call display, who knows who is really calling when they can change what it says on it. But maybe next time you get a call for duct cleaning, tell them you have no ducts, only chickens

Comment

I rarely want to talk to anybody that phones. If it wasn't for the wife and kids I would have no phone at all.

I would suggest calling Bell to complain but I would rather get the calls than try to deal with Bell Customer Service.

Comment

Can you block those particular numbers?
            Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

If you Google these numbers this appears to be a very large occurance across Canada. It usually turns out to be a call centre looking for subsciptions to the National Post or Globe and Mail, newspapers are exempt from the do not call rule. As for Call Display not all our phones have it so it can get annoying.
              If women don't find you handsome, they can sure find you handy. Red Green

Comment

And why is it that newspapers are exempt. Makes no sense to me.
                Kevin

Comment

Who Can Still Call You?

Consumers should understand that registering on the National DNCL will reduce but not eliminate all telemarketing calls. There are certain kinds of telemarketing calls that are exempted from the National DNCL Rules.

The exemptions include telemarketing calls made by, or on behalf of:

Canadian registered charities;
                  Political parties, riding associations and candidates; and
                  Newspapers of general circulation for the purpose of soliciting subscriptions.
                  Telemarketing calls from organizations with whom you have an existing business relationship are also exempt. You are considered to have an existing business relationship with a telemarketer if you:

Purchased, leased, or rented a product or service in the last eighteen (18) months from the telemarketer;
                  Have a written contract with the telemarketer for a service that is still in effect or expired within the last eighteen (18) months; and/or
                  Asked a telemarketer about a product or service within the last six (6) months.
                  Telemarketers may also call you if you have provided express consent to be called. Express consent includes:

Your permission on a written form, electronic form, or an online form; or
                  Your verbal permission.
                  The National DNCL Rules do not apply to telemarketing calls made to businesses.

Seems I get at least 1 call per day from duct cleaners for the last few months. Irritating. I usually give them Kevin's tel # and suggest they call him because he might like their service. Now they can call him for the next 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtie66 View Post
                    A lot of times it seems they spoof call display, who knows who is really calling when they can change what it says on it. But maybe next time you get a call for duct cleaning, tell them you have no ducts, only chickens
                    haha, I usually say 'sorry I have no ducks', then the indian gentleman says 'you have no ducts?', then I go 'ya, you know, ducks, quack quack quack'. By the time I get to the 3rd quack, they hang up on me.
                    Name is Kamil

Comment

I was told that if you have phone service through rogers, that you have the ability to block numbers via your online account manager.

Haven't dug into this myself as of yet. My three year old loves to talk on the phone...

Comment

I am home all day and some days the phone rings every 15 minutes - Rogers, RBC, vacation resellers, Disney, etc, etc. I rarely answer the phone - even if its someone I like! I have often asked to be removed from their lists, but they usually go back to calling after a couple of weeks. So, now, I just waste their time!

An effective method of handling these calls is to spend about 10 minutes stringing them along. Ask lots of questions, seem hesitant but interested, get everything from them you can. Then, after you've wasted a significant amount of their revenure generating time, tell them that you have ZERO interest and they should stop calling. Once they realize that YOU are prepared to waste THEIR time, they will remove you from their list forever!
                        "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Comment

I used to get a lot of calls for a carpet cleaning service. Then one day i asked if they could get out blood stains, lots and lots of blood stains. Never got another call.
                          spcht

Comment

I went to the Do Not Call registry online and went to the file a complaint section. Typed in the phone number of the caller and a little description. It was a credit card consolidation outfit. They'd call every day. It's been 2 months now and no calls.
                            Discussion is the mother or father of ideas.
                            Discord is the bastard son of discussion.

Comment

my phone has a hold button. I usually tell them that my wife will be there in a second and ask if they can hold. I have had one sit for almost 15 minutes before he gave up. if they hang up and ring back, i respond 'she is almost done, just hold one more second' then back on hold they go.

My other favorite is to not let them get a word in edgewize and start selling them chocolate fuzzy cookies for your childs sports team. 'if you are not going to buy for my daughter, then why would I buy from you?? Your not doing will with fostering a mutual business relationship'

Other times I just answer with 'Dougs duct cleaning. if you have ducts we can clean them' ... generally they just hang up right away.
                              Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X