What are you listening to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you listening to?

This man could play the guitar like no one else.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=btcmGua5g4I
    redlee likes this.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Yup, I agree.

Noel
      "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
      'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
      "
      John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Jeff Healey led somewhat of a double life as a musician both in instruments and styles which he could do because of his great talent. He was also a very nice, warm person; I had a few email discussions with him about various aspects of music from listening to his show "My Kinda Jazz". He said his real love was the old jazz which was the foundation of so much music and he was concerned that it would be lost as music evolved. His old jazz record collection apparently was astronomical in size and despite his handicap he knew where to find everything.

Since I like the style and the instrumentation instead of just a bunch of guitars which is all too common these days (IMO), my preference of his work is along the lines of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yy07zVHPpo

billh
        Last edited by billh; 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Jeff Healey had a show on CBC called (as I remember) My Kind of Jazz. It was a great show, and we used to try to catch it when we had time. Other than being jazz focussed it had a similar, laid back, story telling approach to a genre that we listened to on "Finkleman's 45s".

Radio is not the same ... and I've been a radio fan since I used to listen to the early morning broadcasts of "Garner Ted Armstrong" and his show "The World Tomorrow" in the late 60's, on my crystal radio with the metal roof of our farmhouse for an antenna.

Comment

Then the show got moved to FM91 and I think had to be called "Kinda" instead of "Kind of". He used to point out the distinction from time to time.
            billh

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
              Jeff Healey led somewhat of a double life as a musician both in instruments and styles which he could do because of his great talent. He was also a very nice, warm person; I had a few email discussions with him about various aspects of music from listening to his show "My Kinda Jazz". He said his real love was the old jazz which was the foundation of so much music and he was concerned that it would be lost as music evolved. His old jazz record collection apparently was astronomical in size and despite his handicap he knew where to find everything.

Since I like the style and the instrumentation instead of just a bunch of guitars which is all too common these days (IMO), my preference of his work is along the lines of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yy07zVHPpo

billh
              Thanks for that. I've long been a fan of his guitar playing and knew he could sing pretty well. But I was not aware of the trumpet!

As I watched the first number in that performance something else occurred to me. Well, a couple of things.

First, I was, as always, admiring his dexterity on the guitar fingerboard during his first guitar break when I realized that by playing in the lap style he has an advantage over holding the guitar conventionally: it frees up his thumb for fingering as well. So he has the use of all five digits on the fretboard. If you watch his use of his thumb you’ll see what I mean about the advantage.

Second, his blindness is no particular disadvantage for either the guitar or trumpet. We all strive to reach a point of proficiency where we are able to play our instruments without looking at our fingers, regardless of what our instruments are. Jeff was simply required to do that earlier in the process.

Of course his blindness will have created some limitations. He can’t read music so he has to play entirely by ear. Some of us who have learned both ways wouldn’t necessarily agree that’s such a bad thing. I learned to play flute reading music. Although I reached a point where I could site read at nearly full tempo, it has also been a limiting factor. I found it extremely difficult, nearly impossible, to play anything by ear.

On the other hand I’m entirely self-taught by ear on the guitar. I mostly don’t find that to be a major limitation. And I feel like it gives me a bit more flexibility if for no other reason than I don’t have to track down the score before I can begin to learn a tune.

Oops, deep thoughts for a Thursday morning... :-)

...ken...

Comment

Then the show got moved to FM91 and I think had to be called "Kinda" instead of "Kind of". He used to point out the distinction from time to time.
                billh
                Thank you Bill,

I didn't know that part of the history of his show.

cheers

Comment

I just finished listening to the podcast of the last Vinyl Café show recorded in Thunder Bay before Stuart headed off for cancer treatment.

Unfortunately he never recovered.

Going to see The Vinyl Café show was a Christmas tradition for us, Stuart you are missed.

I'm also listening to The Good Lovelies, a group I first heard on the Vinyl Café...............Rod.
                  Ken in Regina likes this.
                  Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Another of our favourites here too Rod. We miss Stuart McLean. Another show that we listened to for all of it's very short run was the "Dead Dog Cafe". I'd love to find it on podcast or mp3.

cheers
                    Ken in Regina likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken in Regina View Post

Of course his blindness will have created some limitations. He can’t read music so he has to play entirely by ear. Some of us who have learned both ways wouldn’t necessarily agree that’s such a bad thing. I learned to play flute reading music. Although I reached a point where I could site read at nearly full tempo, it has also been a limiting factor. I found it extremely difficult, nearly impossible, to play anything by ear.

On the other hand I’m entirely self-taught by ear on the guitar. I mostly don’t find that to be a major limitation. And I feel like it gives me a bit more flexibility if for no other reason than I don’t have to track down the score before I can begin to learn a tune.

Oops, deep thoughts for a Thursday morning... :-)

...ken...
                      I know what you mean. I play sax and clarinet but need to read and now that I'm well into senior citizen years it is rather hard to learn new tricks. I don't really think my brain was setup for playing by ear and that may be because I was well into my 30's before I started playing. I took a jazz workshop from a guitar player who said he started too late - his too late was 18. I like bluegrass, especially the instrumentals, and I once saw an American family perform, one kid was 7 and the other 5 playing a mandolin and a banjo. Couldn't believe their ability it so I guess that's the time to start.
                      I wish I could play by ear and I can work things out slowly but by the time I get to about the fifth bar I can't remember the first bar! It is an advantage at times to be able to read too so it isn't only a one-sided issue.
                      billh

Comment

I know what you mean. I play sax and clarinet but need to read and now that I'm well into senior citizen years it is rather hard to learn new tricks. I don't really think my brain was setup for playing by ear and that may be because I was well into my 30's before I started playing. I took a jazz workshop from a guitar player who said he started too late - his too late was 18. I like bluegrass, especially the instrumentals, and I once saw an American family perform, one kid was 7 and the other 5 playing a mandolin and a banjo. Couldn't believe their ability it so I guess that's the time to start.
                        I wish I could play by ear and I can work things out slowly but by the time I get to about the fifth bar I can't remember the first bar! It is an advantage at times to be able to read too so it isn't only a one-sided issue.
                        billh
                        Yes, having learned one instrument each way I fully appreciate the pluses and minuses of both. I'm into my seventies now so I also relate to your issue of learning new stuff. It's not so much that I can't, as much as it is whether I want to bother or not.

Having family who can play together is really rewarding. I have one grandson (9) who is just starting into his second year of guitar lessons. His twin brother will be starting drum lessons after Xmas. Their older sister has been playing piano for a few years. A couple of weeks ago I was over there and sat down to practice with the guitar grandson. My granddaughter sat down at the piano and the other grandson pulled out a tambourine and started to sing. (Grandpa was on rhythm guitar.) In short order we had a pretty tight rendition of Silent Night going! It was great fun. I'm looking forward to more sessions like that if they all keep at it.

...ken...

Comment

billh
                          It repeats Wednesdays at 9 PM. jazz.fm

Comment

I find Jeff's music showing up more on Bluesville in the last six months. If you like the blues and don't mind streaming, Aardvark Blues Radio out of Texas is commercial free and has some of the best content I've found, definitely worth a listen.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrSEeNE_Uzw Needs VOLUME !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5W_If83Bqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdOFByCGx8
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfbAKZTM3-A
                              Last edited by redlee; 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM.
                              hennebury and mikeddd like this.
                              • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Claptons tribute to Gary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-rAnjxakTk

The original Gary putting his heart into it as he always did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6Ao4fahbQ

Classics 1V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Sua_QTDs0
                                mikeddd likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X