Artist Profiles in Magazine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist Profiles in Magazine

Would you enjoy seeing woodworker profiles in the magazine? If so, who would you like to see? Pro's...amateurs...furniture makers...turners...etc? Give me some names if you have them.

Maybe you think this would be a waste of space. Let me know if that is the case, too.

Thanks for your input.

Re: Artist Profiles in Magazine

The profiles in the old Woodwork were one of its best features and would provide a good model, with more emphasis on work and training than on what the guy likes for breakfast. My own preference is for pro furniture makers, especially those who don't massproduce, because I can learn more from them. There are some very obvious Canadian candidates, such as Michael Fortune, but there are also several worthy candidates on this forum, e.g. the two who have recently shown examples of their chairmaking.
    Jim

Comment

I've always thought one of the things missing in CWW was short profiles about the contributors. Personally, I wouldn't often find an entire article dedicated to some particular WWer too interesting, but a paragraph or two or three about project/article contributors in that issue would be. I mean, it would answer the question: Who is this Rob Brown guy anyway??

Comment

I think Kerry has a good idea here, and the format suggested by Jayked. Be interesting to know a little bit about the contributing editors and some of the more well known Canadian designer-makers. How about Starting with Ryan Shervil
        Last edited by Birchwoodguy; 03-25-2011, 09:55 PM.
        If you can't grow it, catch it, or build it, what makes you think you need it?

Comment

I enthusiastically agree with what Jim (jayked) and Robert (birchwoodguy) said. The profiles were in Woodwork are one of the most insightful parts of the magazine and I don't know of any other magazines that do that. And Woodwork is only annually. It would be great to see a feature like this. I love seeing how others work and learning not just about their work, but their MINDSET and philosophical approaches.

As for who... anyone who has something concrete to offer. I would not limit it to prose on pros (couldn't resist). There are many accomplished hobbyists (not the same as amateurs in my view).
          Chris Wong
          http://flairwoodworks.com

If you don't think your work is good enough, maybe you need a Magic Square.

Comment

I agree with everything that has been said so far but would add another group to the mix. There are a lot life long woodworkers (old timers ) that would have fascinating stories of how they started and what woodworking was like years ago.

Dave

Comment

Good idea but i am not a big fan of the words pro and amateur. I think people should be judged on the quality of their work. Should you be a hobbyist or someone that does it full time in a lot of cases has no effect on the quality of the finished product. Edward G of Burlington comes to mind as being a hobbyist but his work takes a back seat to no one at all levels.

Brian
              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I've been called lots of other things.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad there seems to be a lot of interest. Keep the thoughts coming.

Let me be clear about my pro vs. amateur comment. By no means do I put amateurs below pros. In fact, in many cases I think amateurs can just focus on doing great work, while pros always have to think about how much time they are spending on the job and if they are making any money. An amateur can spend 1000 hours making a piece of furniture, perfecting it along the way, but a pro would most likely go out of business if he or she tried that.

Comment

There is a lot of " good " work that is being done by members of this forum as previously mentioned, perhaps this would be a good starting point as to whom should be profiled first. Together with profiling the woodworker it would also be insightful to see the eviroment within which they do their work eg: their shop. Perhaps it can be shown that you don't always need the latest and greatest of tools to accomplish fine work.
                    We see enough articles about the Professional woodworkers and not enough about the hobbiests that do outstanding work.

John

Comment

I would definately be interested. Such articles should mention how the person got into woodworking, show and talk about some of the items the person has made, and say something about their working environment.
                      Cheers,
                      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Pellow View Post
                        I would definately be interested. Such articles should mention how the person got into woodworking, show and talk about some of the items the person has made, and say something about their working environment.
                        Do you mean something like this Frank ? http://www.busybeetools.com/Product_...15/article.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X