Dec/Jan 2011-2012 Letters to the Editor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dec/Jan 2011-2012 Letters to the Editor

I'm interested to hear what people think of the controversy over my woodchuckle article from the previous issue.

Re: Dec/Jan 2011-2012 Letters to the Editor

I thought the criticism over your article was a little over the top. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they jumped all over you, but not Don Wilkinson's articles which I though were more inflammatory. Maybe some people take humour too seriously.

I hope you will write another one in the future for a "balanced" opinion against Don's.
    Chad of all trades

Comment

Originally posted by beachvillain View Post
      I thought the criticism over your article was a little over the top. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they jumped all over you, but not Don Wilkinson's articles which I though were more inflammatory. Maybe some people take humour too seriously.

I hope you will write another one in the future for a "balanced" opinion against Don's.
      Thanks for the reply, beachvillain. From your mouth to Rob's ear! I was hoping to see more comments in this thread--I'm trying to take the pulse of the readers....

Comment

Don't know the article Cynthia. Didn't know there was a controversy. Unfortunately can't comment.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          Don't know the article Cynthia. Didn't know there was a controversy. Unfortunately can't comment.
          Rusty, in Issue #74, not the one that just came out, but the one previous, I did a (humorous) "Woodchuckle" in response to one of Don Wilkinson's. On the cover is says, "A Woman's View of Woodworking."

In the current issue that just came out, there's a hot letter from a reader who didn't like my essay. She was highly insulted and slammed me *and* the editor.

Comment

Well Cynthia, I would not let that letter get to you...

if only "professional" woodworkers of either gender had credible opionions....there would be nothing to gain by using this forum.....and we all know that is not true.
            How hard can it be? Guys do it everyday

Comment

It's a regular occurance....don't let it get to you. Unless you write as dryly as a textbook, you will likely hit a nerve with someone at some point. LOL...I remember a HUGE controversy with either Cottage Life or Outdoor Canada when a reader was deeply offended by seeing the following descriptive term in a "family oriented" magazine.....ready for it?: "virgin waters"

Keep up the good work
              I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Some people just aren't happy and live under a rock. They don't understand that not everybody thinks the way they do. It's their problem not yours. Don't sweat it.

Comment

What troubles me personally is this crazy, ever growing political correctness. It starts at the university (perhaps even earlier), where some profs brain wash the students telling them they should be always sensitive and accommodating towards "others". So, even though in theory we have freedom of speech, even mildest criticism or a stronger opinion becomes fodder for those who are obsessed with correctness, perceived sexism, etc., you name it. The "controversial" piece by Cynthia is a good example of how crazy the correctness has become.

I personally think you have nothing to worry about. Some people simply get offended by anything, no matter how hard you try. Instead of giving them the satisfaction try to ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The lady who wrote the angry letter to the editor certainly is entitled to hers, but it does not mean her opinion is the only valid one.
                  Last edited by Kris in Toronto; 11-24-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Clearly I skipped that part. Looks like I have a couple of issues to re-read

I'm offended by political correctness in my humor, so I have a feeling I won't be on the side of the offended party.

Comment

Thanks folks, I really appreciate it. I really thought it was (mildly) funny, and never DREAMED someone would take such offense. I was making fun of myself, no one else.....

Comment

Finally found the issue and reread the article - interesting, funny and likely true - still can't figure out what someone would get upset about - but I'm a guy, so .....

Comment

Recently in our newspaper there was a letter to the editor, stating how Disney should be ashamed of itself and they should be held accountable. The issue: The lady had viewed the latest Muppet movie andshe counted 17 male characters and 2 females. She was disgusted in the unequal treatment. It is hard to please all.

Comment

Working...
                          X