• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Issue - April/May 2012

Here's a preview of the latest issue.

Just wandering around

Re: New Issue - April/May 2012

Thanks for posting our current cover and table of contents Bill. It's another one of our themed issues - "Design & Build"

I must say, I'm really excited about this issue. It's something I've been working on for a long time, trying to get the right mix of projects, and design articles. I think design is a topic that isn't discussed enough, so I wanted to give it some serious coverage. Really it's a topic that could be covered in multiple books, so it's not exhaustive. It will give woodworkers of all abilities something to think about regarding designing furniture. I know I learned a lot putting this issue together.

Let me know what you think. I'm always happy to hear from our readers, whether they love it or hate it!

Comment

New issue looks really good on the initial flip through, now for a thorough reading. I really love the art style woodworking and the wild ideas behind some of these pieces.

On a side note, last year we were told that the small shops was going to become an annual issue, are we going to see another one soon?
      Chad of all trades

Comment

Yes, our "Working in a Small Shop" issue will be out shortly. It's going to be our June/July issue this year. And I'm glad you've enjoyed the little bit of the current issue you've seen already!

Comment

Great issue Rob, Thanks!

Cheers, Mark
          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Hi Rob

Just wondering about the digital issue being e-mailed? I sent in my info but have not received the issue or a comfirmation e-mail either.

Thanks Steve

Comment

I met Scotty Lewis on Monday while at Michael's shop. I was trying to describe his "A Place to Think" stool (pg. 31) to my wife and couldn't do it justice, y'know, 'cause it's a stool, with a brain. I didn't realize it was going to be in the magazine, now I can show it.

Scott is a great guy. I didn't realize he was so talented until the end of the day when I asked to see some pics of his work. All of them showed great creativity without going overboard in to the strange zone. Except the "A Place to Think", but it's still very cool, I love it, but have to admit it is strange. Make sure you keep an eye on Scotty, he's a country boy that is sure to make some great furniture in the future and I'd love to see more in the magazine.

Kevin
              The more I learn, the better I understand how little I know.

Comment

ROO,

I don't deal with any of the subscription stuff, so you would have to call the 800 number and talk to someone. Sorry that's the best I can do.

Kevin,

Yes, Scotty is a very talented young man with a world of promise. He has a number of articles coming up, so stay tuned.

Comment

Ok

Rob thanks for the reply.

Has anybody received an E-mailed copy yet?

Comment

I received the magazine on Friday and was immediately taken by the theme announced on the cover. I've been thinking that I need more tutelage about, and exposure to, good design. I would also like to see articles (perhaps on-line here in the forum?) showing bad design and a critical appraisal discussing why it's bad design. Thank you for this issue, I especially enjoyed the article "7 Design Fundamentals".

On a separate note, I'd like to mention that I do enjoy issues on a theme. While I shouldn't like to see every issue become an annual theme issue, I'd like to suggest that design does become an annual or bi-annual theme. Or, at least, assume more prominence in the bi-monthly issues. I'd like to learn more about that than yet another way to cut dovetails.

One thing I did notice when reading the "Design and Build" issue was a pleasant change away from the standard CWW&HI 2 page & picture articles. Several of the feature articles are longer and in greater depth than is usual and that is indeed a step forward. I think we have Rob Brown to thank for that - Thanks, Rob!

--
                    Cheers,
                    Rob

Comment

Rob, thanks for putting together this issue so well! It's a great magazine thru and thru and I'm very happy with how my article came out. I hope that lots of people find some good ideas in this one and I agree that doing more "Design and Build" issues in the future is a good idea!
                      Ryan

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Comment

Working...
                      X