This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Oldies (and some not so golden) on Kijiji #2

This is a new thread for an old topic because of the huge size of the old thread...The Old Thread will be stickered and still searchable.

Please continue on as usual.
    When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Golden Oldies (and some not so golden) on Kijiji #2

Sorry Sophie, I haven't worked much on the G250 yet...

I've seen one Poitras 1300 table saw in person few years ago. There is nothing much to it, very simple and heavily built. Advantages vs. Beaver 3200 and General 150 is that it can accept a 9'' blade (if you can find one !) I would snap it for 50 bucks !

I've been working for years on a contractor saw and while I'll probably be delighted by the G250 once it is up and running, I have been happy with my contractor up to this date...

I wish you good thinking!

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by alexmyre View Post
      ...Poitras 1300 table saw ... can accept a 9'' blade (if you can find one !) ...
      They are not impossible to find. For example, click the box for 9" size:

http://dimar-canada.com/Saw_selector/index.html

Craig
      sophien likes this.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_27.JPG
Views:	2395
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1121589 All I can say is resistence is futile.
        Soak-N-Fused and nnieman like this.

Comment

General drill press column, foot and table I. Havelock
          http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/pe...ationFlag=true

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry in Belle River View Post

Name:	$_27.JPG
Views:	2395
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1121589 All I can say is resistence is futile.
            Gerry, you are right! Go get it you will love it. Beware as it is very robust for the most part. Weak point is the trunnions.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
              General drill press column, foot and table I. Havelock
              http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/pe...ationFlag=true

Nathan
              If anybody lives near there I would like to have the stand.
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post

Gerry, you are right! Go get it
                Mike
                Done.
                sophien and Jerome like this.

Comment

Sophie, in response to your post in thread #1, I'll offer you my 2 cents about table mount vs. cabinet mount trunnions for the bigger/older saws. A lot of confusion about this is due to the cheapie contractor style saws with the motor hanging off the back of the saw; these are lightly built and rarely hold fine adjustments properly, which I guess is the main reason table-mounted trunnions have earned a bad reputation. When I had the General 250 (table-mount trunnions), I felt like the build quality of that saw far surpassed anything similar that you could call a "contractor" saw sold these days, and the setups held well.
                  Having said that, cabinet mounted trunnion saws are easier to align in the first place, but it largely comes down to the quality of the machine once you actually do eliminate run-out and set your parallels/blade alignment. But no matter which way you go, I think you're doing yourself a great favour by seeking advice from this forum, because I've learned many of the basics of TS alignment from helpful folks here. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your new Poitras 1300! I've never seen one in person. I guess a visit to your shop could be in order, lol .
                  All the best in your search!
                  "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

"The foundation of every state is the education of its youth." - Diogenes

Comment

Delta Rockwell 10" table saw
                    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-electr...269148989?null
                    Ottawa
                    $450
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Igor Vasilenko View Post
                      Sophie, in response to your post in thread #1, I'll offer you my 2 cents about table mount vs. cabinet mount trunnions for the bigger/older saws. A lot of confusion about this is due to the cheapie contractor style saws with the motor hanging off the back of the saw; these are lightly built and rarely hold fine adjustments properly, which I guess is the main reason table-mounted trunnions have earned a bad reputation. When I had the General 250 (table-mount trunnions), I felt like the build quality of that saw far surpassed anything similar that you could call a "contractor" saw sold these days, and the setups held well.
                      Having said that, cabinet mounted trunnion saws are easier to align in the first place, but it largely comes down to the quality of the machine once you actually do eliminate run-out and set your parallels/blade alignment.!
                      This is exactly my concern, setting the alignment and stability/reliability of said allignment. This is what I have been reading about; that the General 350 is easy to allign. Because I would prefer to see the 250 committing, if you happen to know where a 250 might be lurking, give me a shout!

Yes, you are most welcome to see my "shop", except sadly, right now it's a bunch of tools and machines invading the basement and the garage among bikes, garden tools and mowing tractors. One day there will be a dedicated space for woodworking, but in the meantime, at least they're inside.
                      Last edited by sophien; 05-31-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Sophie,no doubt t,he general 350& 250 are fine saws,just don't let a great deal pass you by on another brand.Many fine saws out there, shop wise,shop condition and features,any brand can be well kept,any brand can be abused and worn. I would recommend you focus on cabinet saws,and define the features that are important to you

Comment

Nice looking C-Frame bandsaw

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/ci...ationFlag=true

Name:	$_27-2.JPG
Views:	2189
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1121824

Name:	$_27-3.JPG
Views:	2208
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1121823

From the Kijiji ad...

"Great old band saw. 12" resaw capacity. Super powerful modern 5hp single phase motor. Modern blade guides. Looks super cool, and a little bit dangerous, but works like a charm. Built by the "A R Williams Machine Co" in downtown Toronto "liberty village" nearly 100 years ago. She has a good 100 years left in her.

$800 firm. This is a very fair price. Don't offer anything less.

Can be shown in operation at our east York workshop. This is a a big saw for the cost of a little one. I'm only moving on because I've bought an even bigger one."

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1510.JPG Views:	2 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	1122054
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1509.JPG Views:	1 Size:	51.2 KB ID:	1122052
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1508.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	1122051

TECOMASTER Combo TS Jointer, 3/4 HP
                            $125
                            in St-Felix-de-valois

very MadMen era flair. Looks like original MG and fence. If I needed it, I would grab it. Love the retro green....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-electr...ationFlag=true
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sophien; 06-02-2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Name:	image_107779.jpg
Views:	2190
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1123629Old bandsaw

Toronto
                              http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/ci...ationFlag=true

Best Offer

Comment

Working...
                              X