Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement for Elu 3" X 21" Belt Sander?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for Elu 3" X 21" Belt Sander?

My venerable Elu (made in Switzerland) belt sander gave up the ghost yesterday. Although its variable speed control's been nonserviceable for the past few years, it was still working away like a champ... until all of a sudden it slowed down and started smoking. I will bring it into a shop this week to see if it can be resurrected, but I think it may be a write-off.

I'd therefore like your recommendations on a well-balanced (not top-heavy nor tippy) 3 X 21, variable speed sander to take its place. Part of the reason for that size is that I have quite a few belts that I don't want to part with if I don't have to, and I find that size works out well. Most of the ones I've seen in the big-box stores are either poor quality, wrong sized or overly heavy or top-heavy.

Thanks for your input!
    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Replacement for Elu 3" X 21" Belt Sander?

maybe look at Ridgid? heavy but built for long life and hard work. They have one with two fans but not sure if they are 21"

Comment

Too bad about the Elu their Sanders are the stuff of legends! Could not kill their Palm Sanders the only units that would survive high school kids laying on them!
      When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

I can only offer one suggestion, because I have only ever used one brand of belt sander. In the cabinet shop where I used to hang out, and in my own shop as a hobbyist, I used Makita sanders. Mine is a 3x24, but they make the same unit in a 3x21 :

https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?eve...id=112&catid=3

We had zero trouble with them and they worked hard!!

cheers
        Egon and Wally in Calgary like this.

Comment

Originally posted by ofoori View Post
          maybe look at Ridgid? heavy but built for long life and hard work. They have one with two fans but not sure if they are 21"
          I have the Ridgid 3x18, but I don't see a 3x21 version.
          I would pass on it if they did, and it was anything like the 3x18.
          I generally like Ridgid tools (warranty being huge reason for that) but I reach for my old stainless steel cased belt sander over the Ridgid if/when belt sanding.

Loud, belt positioning is "meh" and comfort is just ok. I do like the slow start feature and variable speed though.
          [insert something witty here]

Comment

Best sander ever made. Sorry to hear it died but please do not throw it out if the shop can’t fix it there are some parts useful survivors out there like mine. Although I don’t have any experience with Makita belt sanders they do have a very good reputation.
            everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
            English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

I have a variable makita 3"*21" it is a work horse.

Comment

my 40 plus year old Rockwell used as a stroke sander till I built the first one, still working well. Porter Cable makes a shadow of it.

Comment

I have two Makita models that are 4 x 24...I know not the size you are looking for....one has the dust bag collecting off the top and one has the dust bag collecting off the back...

I hate the one with the dust collector bag coming off the top as it is always in the way when I switch hands. I do not have a thickness sander so I use the belt sander for end grain cutting brd etc. Just a heads up for a feature I do not like.
                  When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

the rockwell i have has the bag coming off the front, it sort of flops around side to side I just put it where i want it and run green autobody tape to hold it in place. The dust collection on the Rockwell works really well and not long before the bag is full. Still the same bag and the zipper still works.

Comment

The poor old belt sander is often maligned but I would not be without one. I have the Makita 3x 24 and it is at least 30 years old and still going strong. Not sure about dust collection as I have accepted Woodworking is a dusty job.

Brian
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Dewalt DW 431 I have one 15 or so years, don't use it a lot but seems to be nicely balanced, not too heavy.

Comment

I have a Porter-Cable 3x21 VS, but my go to is a tiny B&D 2x16 I bought from Zellers many yrs ago. I can use it with one hand.
                          Last edited by Bryan @ Woodstock; 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM.
                          sigpic
                          hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

there is a DeWalt DW433 3x21 belt sander. I mention this only because a number of years ago I bought a dewalt 3 hp router that was an exact (as far as I could tell) copy of the Elu 3 hp router. Perhaps the DW433 is also an Elu clone???
                            Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

Thanks for the info thus far, everyone!
                              All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Working...
                              X