Wanted : Anvil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted : Anvil

Ok, I have come into a natural gas forge burner that I can convert to propane. I have lots of hammers. I need an anvil. I know anvils are expensive, probably more than I want to pay .... sucks to be me eh?

Sooo ...

I am looking for an anvil and I don't even know what I need. Not too big I think, and say ... under $200 in good shape?

Let me know what's out there?

cheers, thank you.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wanted : Anvil

Hey John, welcome to the forging hobby. The possibilities are endless. I talked to a lady about a year ago whose husband bought a whole outfit at an auction for $900 and died before he ever set it up. She wanted to get back what he paid. It included a good sized anvil and rough looking coal forge and a bunch of other hardware. I could inquire if your ready to travel down this way
    Lots of guys use a piece of railroad track until they find an anvil. The prices are wild because there are so many taking up smithing, and at the same time they have become collectors' items. I have only succeeded in buying 2 since 1991 when I took up blacksmithing. One is sort of portable (when I was younger) and the other isn't. My advice: wear ear protection. My hearing is getting bad and I blame it on hammering on the anvil.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Art Shaw
    Woodworker, thinker, tool collector & tinkerer

Comment

https://www.princessauto.com/en/sear...ty=1&Ntt=anvil

They come on sale sometimes, still over your budget though.
      Barry W. Larson likes this.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
        https://www.princessauto.com/en/sear...ty=1&Ntt=anvil

They come on sale sometimes, still over your budget though.
        Thank you Richard, I had not considered Princess Auto. I might have to reconsider my budget. It appears that I may be overdoing the Scrooge factor...

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by millforge View Post
          Hey John, welcome to the forging hobby. The possibilities are endless. I talked to a lady about a year ago whose husband bought a whole outfit at an auction for $900 and died before he ever set it up. She wanted to get back what he paid. It included a good sized anvil and rough looking coal forge and a bunch of other hardware. I could inquire if your ready to travel down this way
          Lots of guys use a piece of railroad track until they find an anvil. The prices are wild because there are so many taking up smithing, and at the same time they have become collectors' items. I have only succeeded in buying 2 since 1991 when I took up blacksmithing. One is sort of portable (when I was younger) and the other isn't. My advice: wear ear protection. My hearing is getting bad and I blame it on hammering on the anvil.
          Good luck and have fun.
          Hi Art,

Thank you for your input. Yes, hearing and eye protection is on top of my lists these days. I have used railroad rail for years, but I'd like to try making something a bit fancier, hence the search. I have not forgotten the tour of your shop that you gave me years ago. I thought your forge/smithing building was very well equipped and laid out, and well separated from the other buildings.

cheers

Comment

According to this , you can find a cheaper substitute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWd0bMVSOU&t=353s

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Railroad track is a handy substitute, as long as you're careful to check for any oncoming trains every few minutes. :-O
              millforge and beachburl like this.
              Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

Thank you Richard, I had not considered Princess Auto. I might have to reconsider my budget. It appears that I may be overdoing the Scrooge factor...

cheers
                Well then if you have rethunk your budget.

http://ridgid.charlesjones.ca/69632
                • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post
                  Well then if you have rethunk your budget.

http://ridgid.charlesjones.ca/69632
                  Richard,

Thank you for the link. I have certainly rethought my budget. The problem I need to overcome is that my bank account is not getting with the program ...., at least not with that much of a program

cheers

Comment

With the way anvil prices keep going up, you ought to be able to put them in your RRSP!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                    X