ISO: General 350/650 Riving Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: General 350/650 Riving Knife

This is probably a long shot, but I'm looking for a riving knife that fits a General 650R. I am not looking for the full assembly, just the riving knife itself. I purchased a table saw that originated as a government saw and apparently they were not allowed to use the saw without the full guard, so the riving knife was disposed of. The full guard is not in the greatest shape either, but I want to add an overhead dust collector eventually, so the riving knife would be the ideal choice to replace.

Thank you,

Steve
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: ISO: General 350/650 Riving Knife

Steve,

One option would be to get a riving knife made in a machine shop but I assume that you do not have the specifications.

Given that you mentioned your interest in getting overhead dust collection eventually, another option could be to get in touch with SharkGuard (I do not have any personal or business interest in this company, but I did buy their product) since they offer a kit for the General 650R table saw.

I hope this helps!

J.

Comment

I had zero luck with General regarding this part as they said they no longer stock any "legacy" parts going forward. I ended up making one from a piece of stainless sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
        Steve,

One option would be to get a riving knife made in a machine shop but I assume that you do not have the specifications.

Given that you mentioned your interest in getting overhead dust collection eventually, another option could be to get in touch with SharkGuard (I do not have any personal or business interest in this company, but I did buy their product) since they offer a kit for the General 650R table saw.

I hope this helps!

J.
        Thanks Jacques. I will look into the SharkGuard option. I thought of the machine shop, but I don't know if they would be able to do it without a pattern to work off of.

Steve
        Rob in Oak Ridges likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JHudson View Post
          I had zero luck with General regarding this part as they said they no longer stock any "legacy" parts going forward. I ended up making one from a piece of stainless sheet.
          I tried to find a contact at General to see if I could at least get the pattern from them, but I can't even get through to anyone.

Comment

The approach taken by JHudson (sorry, I do not know your first name) could be a good choice for you, depending on how comfortable you are with working with metal (and the tools at your disposal).

A cursory look at the manual (found on line) suggests there are two holes at the base of the knife. If you are able to measure the location and spacing of these two holes, as well as the width and shoulder of that lower part, the rest should be relatively easy. It involves shaping the steel plate with an arc that will follow the general shape of the blade.

If you were to go for the SharkGuard option, you may want to enquire for the cost of the riving knife only.

I am not sure about the current status regarding the operations of that firm since the owner unfortunately passed away in early January.

Comment

Steve as I understand, General is not in business anymore.

Perhaps some one here could take a pic of their own and post it. Piece of cake to make if you can get a pattern or dimensions etc.

I just googled it and I'm pretty sure you could make one locally if not personally in about an hour. I know I could.
              Last edited by Rusty; 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

I think Lee at Sharkguard recently passed away (there was a post on here), so unless there is stock sitting on his shelves and someone filling orders you might be out of luck.

John
                Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

If you are ripping mainly at 90' to the table I can recommend the microjig splitter. It has worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Micro-SP-2-Spl...rojig+splitter

You need to make a good zero clearance plate. After that installing the splitter was a breeze.

Paul

Comment

When I fabricated my riving knife the most time consuming part was making sure the male 'tang' portion of the knife fit into the mount with minimal slop. I just approximated the shape of the knife from Internet pics as examples. I'm no machinist, I used a hacksaw and a file and some patience to make it. I bet you would have success as well.

Jonas
                    mikeddd likes this.

Comment

I had the fortune (misfortune?) of needing to fabricate the mount as well so I didn't need to bore any holes in the tang. The knife slides in and a small set screw holds it solidly. I didn't want to pursue something as complex a the quick release pin that General developed. Hope the pics give you some ideas....

Jonas
                      timberframe and mikeddd like this.

Comment

Well done Jonas!

Comment

In case it was not obvious, you make a riving knife out of cardboard until you are pleased with the shape and then you trace it onto the metal for the real thing.
                          Rob

Comment

Good job Jonas. That looks like it fits perfectly. I think you’ve convinced me to try to make one myself. Did you make it out of 1/8” material or did you try to find something slightly thinner?

Thanks Rob. I think starting from cardboard would be smart.

Thank you to everyone else for your advice as well.

Steve

Comment

If you want to cut the shape quickly put a metal cutting blade in your jig saw then file it.
                              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                              X